Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

New SS Panzer photo to share

Article about: Hey guys, Annoyed from this ads?   Wanted to share a new pick up from a fellow collector. It has been in a couple collections already, but has luckily landed in mine now! SS Panzer men,

?

Default New SS Panzer photo to share

Hey guys,
    Wanted to share a new pick up from a fellow collector. It has been in a couple collections already, but has luckily landed in mine now! SS Panzer men, maybe Aufklarungs-truppe. One thing that is neat to note is the Wehrmacht eagle on the SS Panzer wrap. Standing near an Sdkfz 231-8 RAD.

I know that sometimes people can figure out a unit from the License plate on the vehicle, and was wondering if anyone could help me out with that, if it is indeed possible? Anyway, enjoy!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New SS Panzer photo to share   New SS Panzer photo to share  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New SS Panzer photo to share
    P
    Many

Default Re: New SS Panzer photo to share

Super photo Bill, thanks for shareing!

If the info is correct it is from the SS-Panzer-Späh Ers. Kp.
    Feldgrau.net • View topic - SS license plate question

Great Photo Bill and thanks for showing.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Exactly what I was trying to find Kevin. I knew I had seen that before, but couldn't find it again! Thank you

Unfortunately I didn't pay any attention to the Agfa markings on the back until now, as the photo looks/feels perfectly period. However I am in the process of trying to find more info on the particular Agfa paper it is on.........there is a chance this photo might be post-war printed (but is not fake paper IMHO). I know of 2 collections this photo has been in, but it is on paper that is subject to common concern amongst collectors and photo authenticators. One of those "on the fence" things IMO.
    Throughout my photo paper studies, I have always considered this particular Agfa photo paper marking to be post-war, and to be produced in the 50's. It is okay to see the "Agfa" alone on postcard size pics, but I always thought it was different for snapshots. I am feeling very uneasy about this at the moment, as it was not a cheap photo.

One of those things, that no matter how much experience you have with handling certain items.....there will always be something that comes up to put knowledge to the test!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New SS Panzer photo to share  

?

Turns out that this photo is of a Sdkfz from Ellwangen. Belonged to the LAH and was KO'd on the first day of fighting in Poland.
    So, I believe my gut feeling was correct, and the paper to be post-war. One of the more tricky photos Ive ever had the chance to try and date. Still looking into it tho

?

Bill i can only cocur re the Agfa markings mate , my understanding was that this particular mark was on post war printing !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Thanks man. I agree. Unfortunately I didn't see them before I bought it, but luckily I was able to get a refund.
    One thing positive out of this is that I'm glad I got the opportunity to scan the markings and feel the paper in hand tho, as I have only seen a couple of these Single "Agfa" snapshot papers in person before.

Just funny that it has been in a couple collections, and gone unnoticed before

?

Also, if anyones interested, I am gonna do a small writing about what I learned from the paper in the "IDing fake photos" thread.

(* what the lines under and above the trademark are for
    * Gloss, Semi-gloss, etc
    * Observations about the paper itself)