Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Oktoberfest... with a difference.

Article about: I felt like sharing these photographs from my grandfather's estate. They were taken at an event in Berlin, 1934, while he was temporily serving with the Wachtruppe Berlin, whose personnel we

Default Oktoberfest... with a difference.

I felt like sharing these photographs from my grandfather's estate.

The pictures were taken at an event in Berlin, 1934, while he was temporily serving with the Wachtruppe Berlin. (This guard unit was responsible for guard- and ceremonial duties in the German capital and consisted of seven companies, each one drawn from one of the seven divisions permitted Germany under the Treaty of Versailles. The companies served for three months before returing to their parent units.)

A group photo in jolly good mood. My grandfather is in the left foreground/at the bottom of the picture with an unknwon lady's arm around his shoulder:

A theater performance, almost certainly a comedy skit about barracks life. Note the pictures of Hitler and Hindenburg on the wall, respectively the Reichskanzler and Reichspräsident:

The guests, both military (including a general officer) and civilian:

The serving staff:

All of the photographs are captioned on their reverse side with the same text, which translates as: "Berlin, 16th* Oct. 34. As an everlasting memory from the Bavarian Oktoberfest in the beer cellar of the 7th Guard Company, Guard Unit Berlin, Invalidenstr. 55 a". An example:

*) I just noted that this one is actually dated 10th October, whereas the others are dated 16th October.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Oktoberfest... with a difference.
    P
    Many

As an afterthought, here is a closer look at the General. Somebody might be able to identify him:

?

Great photos.Thanks for letting us see them.You must be very pleased to have these.

As i see the general is the only one who is drinking Weissbier, other have ordinary beer mugs.

?

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    As i see the general is the only one who is drinking Weissbier, other have ordinary beer mugs.
    A privilege of rank

thanks for showing HPL.

?

I think your grandfather might have been a ladies man.

I found one more photograph from the same occasion:

Close up on the Spieß. Note the twin Tresse rings identifying his duty position with a shooting stripe below them and the Reichswehr's private-purchase, piped walking-out tunic. The shoulder strap cypher worn by the men (not very clear in this photograph) is a Gothic "W":