Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A one of a kind, unique and very rare photographic narrative from the early days of the Third Reich!

Article about: I am truly honoured that my thread on this album telling the story of a postman, Postschutz-man and member of the SS (guard/bodyguard/mail courier in connection with Hitler's southern reside

Default Re: A one of a kind, unique and very rare photographic narrative from the early days of the Third Reich!

That was one of the most interesting and entertaining threads I have had the pleasure to read this year! Thanks are due Kenneth, to you and Andreas for sifting through the minutae of these photo's and their images of a time forever lost, to find the story they tell, it is pure gold. Bloody marvellous!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A one of a kind, unique and very rare photographic narrative from the early days of the Third Reich!
    P
    Many

KSH
    ?

Default Re: A one of a kind, unique and very rare photographic narrative from the early days of the Third Reich!

Thank you all for your kind comments, I certainly have enjoyed putting it together!

Andreas, I completely agree with you regarding photo #2 - it is not an SS-uniform this person is wearing and his facial features are off. Thanks again, Andreas! I shall change the text now! Thank you for spotting that! I wonder if "our man" is present at all here?

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth
    Last edited by KSH; 07-24-2021 at 03:25 PM.

KSH
    ?

I was just editing and fixing some bits, so just refresh now if anything became messed up when viewing

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth

A highly interesting photo album and very well presented, this thread is truly one of those few that stand out from the vast majority of threads, which contain, more often than not, no informative information whatsoever but merely questions, that show the total lack of interest in the historical facts that surround an item, like "What is it?", "Real or fake?", or "What is it worth?". If there were a thread-of-the-year contest yours would be most certainly be among the favourite entries and it may well be the winner for 2011. Furthermore, it is excellent proof of how rewarding it can be if one puts some time and effort into researching the items in one's collection. I can only hope, that your thread will encourage more people to follow your example. Maybe a few even read ahead to those words in your signature, then it might.

Thanks a lot, Kenneth, for sharing the results of your research and for the time you spent presenting it here in such a professional way. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Cheers, MB.

KSH
    ?

Quote by M. Bäcker View Post
    A highly interesting photo album and very well presented, this thread is truly one of those few that stand out from the vast majority of threads, which contain, more often than not, no informative information whatsoever but merely questions, that show the total lack of interest in the historical facts that surround an item, like "What is it?", "Real or fake?", or "What is it worth?". If there were a thread-of-the-year contest yours would be most certainly be among the favourite entries and it may well be the winner for 2011. Furthermore, it is excellent proof of how rewarding it can be if one puts some time and effort into researching the items in one's collection. I can only hope, that your thread will encourage more people to follow your example. Maybe a few even read ahead to those words in your signature, then it might.

Thanks a lot, Kenneth, for sharing the results of your research and for the time you spent presenting it here in such a professional way. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Cheers, MB.
    Thank you, MB. I have tried to make the kind of thread that I myself would like to find on a collector's forum, namely threads that go beyond the material and the physical aspect of the artifact. I am myself of the opinion that this hobby of ours too often is preoccupied with the objects/items themselves and their inherent material qualities, as opposed to their historicity and immaterial significance.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth

?

Well done Kenneth a perfect example of why the collecting of photographs and albums is one of the most interesting areas of our hobby !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

KSH
    ?

REVISION regarding the photos ##24A and 24B:

After some reflection I have come to the conclusion that the three photos ##24A, 24B and 25 date from approximately the same point in time and that they are possibly the latest of them all (in other words, later than the 2nd of August, 1933 - the date of Hitler's visit). I have already mentioned this regarding photo #25, but I believe that photos ##24A and 24B are in the same category. The main reasoning behind my thinking here is the presence of the Ehrenwinkel der Alten Kämpfer which is clearly visible, also on our man's right arm when he is carrying the chair. This honorary chevron was instituted for wear on the SS-uniform in December 1934 according to my sources and should not be able to be present in August 1933, the period that many photos undoubtedly date from (based on writing on the back of photos).

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth

one of the most interesting threads i have read for a long time, thanks for your time in posting a most truly brilliant thread,
    cheers Ronnie

?

Fantastic thread, Being Hitlers postman would have been big news in the town and from what I know of the obersalzburg area if would be quite easy to indentify him ( if you don't have his name already )...Thks for sharing...

That was fun to read, thank you for posting. Must have taken you days and days with a loupe to study all the pictures so good!
    Now you left me wondering what pictures were in the other album!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast