Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

One soldier's story in pictures

Article about: H, What a great story thanks very much. Steve

Default Re: One soldier's story in pictures

Walking-out order, with an unknown lady.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One soldier's story in pictures  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement One soldier's story in pictures
    P
    Many

1935 saw his promotion to Unteroffizier and his transfer to the 62nd Infantry Regiment stationed at (my eventual birthplace and hometown) Landshut in Lower Bavaria. Here is the newly-appointed NCO, still wearing a Reichswehr-period tunic...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One soldier's story in pictures  

...which would soon be replaced by the new field blouse. (Note the German Sports Badge and the Army's 4-year service decoration dating this photograph no earlier than 1937.)

He also had himself photographed in his Waffenrock parade tunic. (Please forgive me for jumping back in time a bit, as on this photograph and the next two he is not yet wearing the Sports Badge and Service decoration, placing them at an earlier date than the last one.)
    I am not 100 % certain on this, but I think the Luftwaffe man on the right was his cousin Max, an eventual Hauptwachtmeister with the Luftwaffe's Flak branch.

Sure enough, as many soldiers did, he too took a photograph of a lady modeling his tunic. According to a handwritten dedication on the back of the photograph, this was taken in 1936 and her name was Marta. (Don't know who she was exactly; she was not my grandmother.)

Here she is again on the far left, back in civvies.

A final pre-war portrait; one of my favorites, by the way.

Flash forward to a few years later. We meet a Feldwebel, who has been through combat action in Poland, France, Belgium and is now serving on the Eastern Front.
    Note early-style pointed shoulder straps still being used up.

Having a break with a few comrades; note thousand-yard stares.

We've come a long way since the first photograph. Here is an Oberfeldwebel who has been through a lot.
    Apart from his two earlier peacetime awards, he is now decorated with the Iron Cross and War Merit Cross 2nd Class, the Eastern Campaign Medal, the Infantry Assault Badge and the Wound Badge in Black (not visible in the pictur.) Of course, none of these awards are rare or worth a lot today compared to, say, a Knight's Cross, but they sure did not come cheap for him.
    Attached Images Attached Images One soldier's story in pictures 

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast