Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

One soldier's story in pictures

Article about: H, What a great story thanks very much. Steve

Default Re: One soldier's story in pictures

Another one, with peaked cap. Note the old-style pointed shoulder straps with narrow, colored cloth strips used as an unofficial unit marker.
    Attached Images Attached Images One soldier's story in pictures 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement One soldier's story in pictures
    P
    Many

Two images taken on home leave. From his rank and decorations, they could not have been taken earlier than December 1943, yet he has chosen to look extra-sharp and don his Waffenrock. (A uniform which, by now, was long obsolete and no more manufactured or issued, but which some soldiers who already owned them as private-purchase items still wore for special occasions.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One soldier's story in pictures  

But soon, in the summer of 1944, his luck would run out and the war would be over for him.
    Let him describe what happened during a fighting retreat against Red Army armored forces in his own words, scribbled in pencil in his notebook, probably some days later while in hospital:

"25. Juli

Abends 18.30 Uhr wurde ich durch Panzergranate verwundet. r. Bein weggerissen, am l. Fuß Splitter durch gr. u. kl. Zehen u. unten an der Ferse raus. Rechtes Bein Splitter
    ."

"25th July

Been wounded by shell from a tank at 1830 hrs in the evening. Right leg torn off, shrapnel to the left foot through first and fifth toes coming out at the underside of the heel. Shrapnel in right leg."
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture One soldier's story in pictures  

Which takes us to the end of our story. This is how the war ended for him, having been in military hospitals from July 1944 to his discharge in 1945.

Here are the final two pictures now. My grandmother is on the left, looking quite happy that, maimed or not, at least he got home alive. It should be noted that both her and his brother were killed in action.

Thanks HPL2008.
    Very interesting to read the story and to look at the pictures.
    Thank you for sharing this with us.

Best regards
    Laplander

leebingate
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    He is in the middle now. Note the rank chevrons for an Obergefreiter and the swallow's nests. (He was a drummer for a short time.)
    The next photograph was taken on 16 October 1934 in Berlin, where he was temporarily serving. (He's in the left foreground)
    The inscription on the back of the picture lets us know they were celebrating a "Bavarian Oktoberfest" in the Beer cellar of the 7th Company, Wachtruppe Berlin!
    Seems the boys were having quite a good time....

Thanks for sharing!

Hello,
    Thank you very much for sharing these personal pictures...very interesting.
    I hope he had a good life after the war...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I'm happy that I found this and would like to give the 'author' a special thank you.
    I'm new here and found this place while looking to see what my stuff was worth at first. It soon became apparent to me that I have (had) some great people in my life. My father being one and he's still with us at 84. All the history started becoming more important. Yes I still need to know what I have in material things but I have started looking & searching. All the while learning new things about my grand parents, their lives and the wars.

I am now looking for more information on my 2 grand fathers and that goes back to ww1. Maybe there are more.
    In my mind a history (what you can get) is worth more than the decorations on their chests.

Rudy ... just talking

Not sure how I Missed this thread. first time around, Thank you HPL for your time and photos. Your Grandfather aged so quickly in a short period of time like so many young men from this War.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast