Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Photo Album Care?

Article about: I recently picked up a WWII era photo album containing 99 photos, many of them glued onto the black pages. The photos are mostly German military scenes and my question is should I leave them

Default Photo Album Care?

I recently picked up a WWII era photo album containing 99 photos, many of them glued onto the black pages. The photos are mostly German military scenes and my question is should I leave them as is or should I be concerned about the acidity of the black album paper. My preference would be to leave them within the original album. Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo Album Care?   Photo Album Care?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo Album Care?
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

I suggest you leave them as they are. The only time I have ever removed original ww2 photos from an photo album is when I bought one where the pictures had been put into an old 1980´s (sticker type of album). This album looks to me like it´s the original period one. Ít´s part of the story.

Best,

Jan

Agreed, I'd leave it as is. As long as it's stored properly and looked after, it shouldn't get any worse. It's survived the last seventy years or so. As long as you take good care of it it'll be fine.

Regards, B.B.

Great...thanks for the comments! I'll re-affix the loose photos using the adhesive corner keeps and leave it as is.

Are there any captions written under any of the pictures to identify where they were taken? I'm sure others would like to see more pictures from your album as much as I would.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Are there any captions written under any of the pictures to identify where they were taken? I'm sure others would like to see more pictures from your album as much as I would.
    There are captions written on the backs in German...but as most are glued in I can't read them all. I'll post a few more pictures tomorrow...im just in the process of photographing the photos...thanks for your interest!

Looking forward to seeing more, even those two you posted seem to tell a story, albeit slightly disturbing - as we can only guess at the fate or otherwise of the civilians.

What is evident though is the yellowing of the photographs caused by age, exposure to light or bad fixative of the print originally. Scanning or duplicating the photos is a good idea, to protect over exposure of the originals bright light - the writing on the backs might ID the location or those shown. A nice piece of detective work in store for you.