Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Please help with identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....

Article about: Hello, I have 25 photo cards that I need help with. They measure 3 1/4"w x 4 3/4"h and I know nothing about them. I would like to find out more about them so I can have an idea of

quicknick
    ?

Default Please help with identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....

Hello, I have 25 photo cards that I need help with. They measure 3 1/4"w x 4 3/4"h and I know nothing about them. I would like to find out more about them so I can have an idea of what they may be worth before I sell them.

I also have a WWII German checker game set that I need help with as well.

Is any of this considered rare?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
    Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....   Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....  

Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....   Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....  

Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....   Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Please help with identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....

hmm... They look like Playing cards of some sort. Ive seen similar Skat playing cards, but these dont have the normal numbering/etc. I found similar ones w.out #s online called "Quartet Game Cards"?? Supposed to be 48 cards tho...so I dunno, just a guess

The Checker board......check this site out, it says that these Checkers w/ Swastikas are actually American made checkers from the 20's and people sell them as TR on Ebay. I dunno? Worth a look anyway, not sure if they are the same.

The American Checker Federation • View topic - "Swastikas Embossed on Checkers"-answer

Default Re: Please help with identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....

I'm not altogether sure that I agree with the "all swastika checkers are American" theory. Yes, it's certainly true that most of them Are, but this particular set shown looks to be actual German and of the era. The swastikas on these pieces are the Nazi style rolling swastika's, whereas most American made ones are the "Good Luck" square set style and some are even the Indian backwards styles. The checkers/backgammon board shown with them is, undoubtedly made in Germany, but obviously for export, as shown by the Anglicized name. The Playing Pieces though? Like I said, I'm tending to lean towards actual Nazi era German pieces. They would certainly have been a popular thing in Germany of the 30's and 40's, and so I can see no reason why these should not be authentic. Having said all that, though, they are not worth a Fortune, but are collectable for sure.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Bill T View Post
    hmm... They look like Playing cards of some sort. Ive seen similar Skat playing cards, but these dont have the normal numbering/etc. I found similar ones w.out #s online called "Quartet Game Cards"?? Supposed to be 48 cards tho...so I dunno, just a guess
    That's right, Bill: These are indeed Quartett cards.

It's a simple card game popular with children. Quartett decks are made up of sets of four cards, the Quartette (quartets) from which the game derives its name. Usually, there are 8 quartets (= 32 cards) in a deck, but there are larger decks as well. The winner is the player who ends up with the highest number of complete quartets.

If you look at the cards posted above, you can see the name of the quartet and the card's number above the photograph and the names of the other cards in the quartet below it. For example, quartet "E" was one of several named "Deutschlands Führer" [= Germany's leaders] and consisted of the cards for Lutze (E17), Himmler (E18) Raeder (E19) and Blomberg (E 20).

With Lutze already present as Stabschef of the SA and Blomberg still around, we can safely date it to the period from the summer of 1934 to early 1938. The photos of Himmler and Lutze don't yet show their RFSS-/Stabschef collar patches, so it is most likely closer to 1934. (Although it is possible the publisher used older photographs.)
    Last edited by HPL2008; 12-30-2012 at 12:06 AM.

quicknick
    ?

Thank you for the great info so far! Any ideas on what I should expect to sell these for and should I do ebay or the classifieds here?

Thank you,
    Nick

Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....Please help with  identifying these photo cards and WWII checker set.....

Here are my Wehrmachts Quartett cards representing the Luftwaffe, Herr and Kriegsmarine. These are in sets of 6. I'm guessing these are prewar and a complete set of this maker? Any more info on these cards would be appreciated.

Gary

The board looks like a combo checker and backgammon set