Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Possible genuine Poster Waffen SS?

Article about: This famous poster waffen ss may be genuine ? Unfortunately these two photos are not good quality! Thanks in advance collectors and moderators!

Default Possible genuine Poster Waffen SS?

This famous poster waffen ss may be genuine ?
    Unfortunately these two photos are not good quality!
    Thanks in advance collectors and moderators!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible genuine Poster Waffen SS?   Possible genuine Poster Waffen SS?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Possible genuine Poster Waffen SS?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Possible genuine Poster Waffen SS?

Adyraphael,
    Afraid I can't help you, I've been interested for a while now in how to distinguish between original posters and copies (nachdruck). People I've asked from the printing trade, say if old paper is used its impossible to tell the difference. Hope someone comes in with some appropriate information.

The paper looks far too glossy.

I own one original SS recruiting poster and the paper quality is not great.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Good, close up images in daylight would certainly help, but I do feel that there appears to be a "sheen" to the paper, which as Ade has stated, is not good. The original posters that I have encountered over the years, are always made from a very poor quality paper, sometimes appearing not unlike the material used in the production of newspapers. Without going into the science too much, finer quality paper is generally whiter in appearance, due to the lack of an element that gives that older brown finish to aged paper. Hence, award documents can often appear almost new, whilst mass produced paper items are often much darker in appearance. This piece appears quite light, when I would expect more colouration in a piece likely manufactured using poor grade paper.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Perhaps this link will explain in a little more detail: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/photos...-items-165246/

This is a fake IMO. Has incorrect paper, color, and lack of detail and lettering. This is possibly the most copied SS poster of the tr period. Here's some information and a original as well as some fakes.
    SS RELICS - WAFFEN-SS TUNICS, HEADGEAR, POSTERS, UNIFORMS, INSIGNIA, ALLACH

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Adyraphael,
    Afraid I can't help you, I've been interested for a while now in how to distinguish between original posters and copies (nachdruck). People I've asked from the printing trade, say if old paper is used its impossible to tell the difference. Hope someone comes in with some appropriate information.
    Click my link above , it will prove quite helpful.

This does not look right.
    chris

Giveaway on this poster is the bottom margin cut-off in a sloppy manner where printing information should be seen. An original is on this forum to compare but all around the one here looks incorrect. Keep in mind, 'sheen' might be one thing that seems to stand out, but with any poster it could be flash reflection depending on the camera angle. As for fakes printed on old paper; while I do not doubt this case, I can say after collecting allied and axis posters for 28 years, that using old paper stock in perfect rolls to MAKE and cut into old-seeming posters is darned hard to come by and darned hard to accomplish. What I have seen in person is using new paper too fibrous to 'look old' and staining it or chemically aging it, too. FYI-- be on the look out for Wehrmacht posters coming from the former Yugoslavian states. I have seen five on the internet in the past ten years (bought one of them) and all are badly 'aged' fakes. I can dig out my fake to show if you'd all care to see an example.

The borders should be sharp and there shouldn't be any dots visible. Also there should be a production Mark on the bottom (which this one seems to be missing). I also see no reason for the paper to be as white as it is which is my big concern.

- - Updated - -

The borders should be sharp and there shouldn't be any dots visible. Also there should be a production Mark on the bottom (which this one seems to be missing). I also see no reason for the paper to be as white as it is which is my big concern.