Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

POW letter translation

Article about: This is one of my POW letters I have and would like to frame it with an English Translation. I tried to use an online translator but failed miserably. Too many lines were completely lost in

Default POW letter translation

This is one of my POW letters I have and would like to frame it with an English Translation. I tried to use an online translator but failed miserably. Too many lines were completely lost in translation somehow. If someone has time and interest it would be appreciated. Thank you!.... Notice the address portion where this soldier wrote "Great Germany" in english..A spit in the eye to his american captors perhaps?

POW letter translationPOW letter translationPOW letter translationPOW letter translationPOW letter translationPOW letter translationPOW letter translation

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement POW letter translation
    P
    Many

Quote by General von poopypants View Post
    This is one of my POW letters I have and would like to frame it with an English Translation. I tried to use an online translator but failed miserably. Too many lines were completely lost in translation somehow. If someone has time and interest it would be appreciated. Thank you!.... Notice the address portion where this soldier wrote "Great Germany" in english..A spit in the eye to his american captors perhaps?
    You mean his way of saying "Team Germany, F* Yeah!" No; I don't think so. It's probably just an attempt to translate the term "Großdeutsches Reich" into English.

The letter says:

"America, 2nd December 1943

My dear parents!

I write to you again, even though I have not yet received a single line from home. Dear parents, did you not get any mail from me either? I have written to you so many times. I always take comfort from this one thought that a letter will at least arrive before the year is over. The most important thing would be that all of you are still healthy. I am fine. I don't know what to write to you; if there was a letter to reply to, it would be much easier. What are you doing these days? Surely, father will have a lot of work to do and I can "laze about" all day long. For the rest of my whole life, I will not be able to rest so much as now. Don't forget my books; I have so much time to learn and make good use of it. How will the year of 1944 end? Let us hope for the best. Now, dear parents, be greeted many times by your grateful son Gaberl*. Give greetings to our customers as well
    ."

*) Affectionate/diminutive form of his first name Gabriel as used in Austro-Bavarian dialects. (He was an Austrian from Styria.)

WOW! That was fast! Thank you so much for that! I like the idea of him getting an attitude though lol! "Team Germany" That's friggin hilarious. I have more but they will probably remain untranslated as the handwriting is awful. Thank you again.

Jeez.. Looks like certainly wasn't worked to death.. I'm thinking there was an up side to being in an American POW camp..

As the address is St. Marien, bei Graz - in Austria this would be known as greater Germany.