MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

S. Keltner Photo collection

Article about: At Paul D.'s recommendation, I thought my photo collection to be of sufficient size now, to start my own thread and part ways with the new pickups rolling monster. To those ends, I submit my

Some Superb images. I have always found the common soldier's photo albums the most fascinating. They showed the side of war not seen in the magazines and film reels. An excellent collection! I'm surprised that no one has ever thought to collect and publish a series of books of such photos-they would be certainly an amazing sight to see.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S. Keltner Photo collection
    P
    Many

?

Great photos, i have found photos more interesting now lately. So this is joyful for me to study. You should watermark your pics before they end upon fleabay.

In post number 6. photo number 1, i can happily inform you that this photo has been taken in Norway. The Ad on the wall is for Chocolate and for a Women popular magazine.

"Sjokolade Nidar" and "Norsk Ukeblad"

In post number 16 photo number 16. It looks like this Sturmfuhrer has the Heer artillery badge. Or am i totally wrong?!

I always wonder how many that ended up like MIA of these soldiers we see on old pics

Thanks again everyone. William hit the nail on the head with what gets me addicted to the photos. Each one is a window into the past that's only been seen by a few eyes. I know some guys like to collect portraits that really show off the uniforms and awards in wear, which I appreciate that interest. But, for me, I think I get the biggest return from these every day photos that show life happening. I have really nice examples of equipment and awards, but it would be hard for me to say I don't get the most enjoyment out of the photos.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    I could probably look at each one for an hour, in hand... with a magnifying glass.
    I do this! I have a cheap loupe off Amazon, and this really well made little magnifier:

Amazon.com: Satechi ReadMate LED Desktop Magnifier (Black): Toys & Games

TrondK, thanks for that info. I've wondered what the cafe signs were talking about, but never got around to Google translating them. I should have known chocolate! The Sturmfuhrer is wearing an infantry assault badge in silver I believe.

A photo I missed, a nice large shot of the sports shirts in use:

I have a few new photos to post later, but I couldn't wait to post this one. There's nothing particularly rare or special about it, but the composition is incredible. Here we have a field full of sleeping soldiers, where were if not for the war, could have been any other lazy, restful, beautiful day in the countryside. It's kind of like Red's walk through the field at the end of the Shawshank Redemption, and I think the photographer couldn't help but pause to document they were there. The rifles stack up in such a way, it kind of forms a front line before the potential destruction to come for those in the distance.

There is such a sharp contrast between the warriors and the setting, the life they're living against the peaceful natural beauty of where they're at, it makes the photo compelling and one of my favorites in my collection now. The field could be one of any number I drive past when going to and from here in southwest Missouri, and I wouldn't know it but for the Germans.

Damn, that's a cool picture!

Without reading the text, I thought it was going to be something totally macabre...

One of the things I miss the most of all the items Ive ever sold was an album of the invasion of France, but all taken with a stereoscopic camera and it came with the viewer, and that my friend... you could really get lost looking into. The 3D effect was just phenomenal. It was all black and white, but I swear you could look behind a blade of grass.

Now I bet that, was something. Those seem like old tech, but they really are very cool to use, and black and white photos from the period have been surprisingly detailed when taken by a skilled photographer.

Yeah, they certainly had the cameras to get very fine detail, German lens technology was very good. I think that's where the Japanese picked it up. Very good optiks. Shooting film was such a ritual, and there was no light meters, compared to what people use now (cell phones), it was work to get good images, but a lot of guys had the desire to do it. I know I would have, it's in my blood... pretty rare a day goes by I don't take pictures of something.

?

A very great thread involving period authentic uniforms and provenance..
    In regards to the Arbeits Dienst.. photos I add the following comments
    Post # 2 XXVII Baden.. Abt. 274 /1 Anton Eisenhut
    VII Schelswig, Holstein Abt. 71/3 IMO... Great photos.. These are only my opinions of course !! G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

very nice collection of photographs,..i am also now into photographs & documents of the HJ/BDM preferably,.but all photos really,..just a tip when posting photos (by the way you have posted these photos very well in great HD) make sure to redline/watermark the photos so they can not be reproduced & sold as origionals.super collection mate.cheers silas.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast