Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

S. Keltner Photo collection

Article about: At Paul D.'s recommendation, I thought my photo collection to be of sufficient size now, to start my own thread and part ways with the new pickups rolling monster. To those ends, I submit my

Quote by TrondK View Post
    In post number 16 photo number 16. It looks like this Sturmfuhrer has the Heer artillery badge. Or am i totally wrong?!
    He is wearing an Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber [Infantry Assault Badge in Silver].

Waffen-SS personnel were entitled to all combat badges of the Heer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S. Keltner Photo collection
    P
    Many

One new photo today, and it's a good one.

I bought this from Phillipe De Brock, author of The German Panzer Assault Badge of World War II. He left a note saying it should be on page 804 of the book.

Just a few new photos for the collection:

Some nice new additions. Note that the Luftwaffe officer in the third picture is incorrectly wearing his EK2 ribbon/clasp in the second buttonhole of the tunic (it should be in the top one).

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Some nice new additions. Note that the Luftwaffe officer in the third picture is incorrectly wearing his EK2 ribbon/clasp in the second buttonhole of the tunic (it should be in the top one).
    You know, what makes that funny is that he looks like the kind of guy that would religiously stick to protocol. Which is part of why I like that photo. It kind of looks like a glimpse into the aristocratic class of officers, fine china and high quality serving vessels. Note the doily or perhaps even a crystal plate sitting on the Luft officers plate. This seems like a wealthier group of people than the typical German of the day.

The photo has writing on the back as well, which I have yet to decipher (I struggle reading the hand written script often):

The handwriting says:

"Nordhausen
    August 1940
    Dr. Carl, Trudl.
    "

("Trudl" is short for "Gertrud".)

The Luftwaffe officer is almost certainly a reservist. Note that his only decorations are the WW1 EK2 with 1939 clasp and the 1914/18 Ehrenkreuz, but that he has no long service awards (whose lowest class was for 4 years).

A few new photos. A bit of a Bing Crosby made an appearance in the last one of the prison guards(?).

Nice selection of photographs. I have quite a few
    myself, and like you, I buy whatever
    interests me.

As I go over them, I often wonder about their
    lives at that time - what sort of people they
    were, what their thoughts may have been,
    and if any made it though their war
    to more peaceful times.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks Steve! I feel exactly the same way about them. I post them here to share them with the world. I actually encourage people to use my photos for any non-commercial need, hence I have not watermarked very many of them. For many of these people, these images may be the only proof left that they were here that's not typed in some database somewhere or on a tombstone. Some of the most powerful images I have are those showing people enjoying friends and family, doing what they may have been doing in peacetime.

70 years later, I believe this collection of photos is part of our human heritage in its best and worst light, and the foundation of why we're all here on this forum. Some folks might wonder why I bother posting all these photos, to which I would have to respond that it would feel wrong not to. I own the piece of paper, not the moment captured on it. The story must be told.

Received a few more photos today:

No more shoveling manure for these RAD boys. Plowshares to swords, and off to war.

And the writing on the back of this last photo of the city street. No idea where it is, but if anyone can read this writing it probably tells us something:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast