Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

S. Keltner Photo collection

Article about: At Paul D.'s recommendation, I thought my photo collection to be of sufficient size now, to start my own thread and part ways with the new pickups rolling monster. To those ends, I submit my

Quote by avenger View Post
    And the writing on the back of this last photo of the city street. No idea where it is, but if anyone can read this writing it probably tells us something:
    It says "Karlsbad (mit Trinkhalle)" = "Karlsbad (with drinking hall)".

Karlsbad is the German name for Karlovy Vary in Czechia. It has a long history as a spa town and is famous for its hot springs (13 main springs and some 300 smaller ones). The drinking halls are where people take and drink the well water.

(The photo was obviously taken after the 1938 annexation of the Sudetenland which included Karlsbad.)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement S. Keltner Photo collection
    P
    Many

Thanks for the translation HPL! I honestly don't know how you read the script on some of this stuff. I don't know if I could read it even if I were fluent with German.

Sounds like a lovely place though. Photos from a quick search show a place with a lot of character.
    Last edited by avenger; 05-11-2016 at 01:31 AM.

The church looks to still be standing today.

Sounds like a lovely place though. Photos from a quick search show a place with a lot of character.
    It is. I visited Karlsbad some twenty years ago on a weekend trip that also included the other two famous spa towns of Mariánské Lázně [Marienbad] and Františkovy Lázně [Franzensbad].

The contrasts were interesting: You had these grand old buildings, beautifully maintained or restored and then you'd turn a corner off from the main streets and tourist sights and find yourself in a street that still suffered from decades of Communist-era neglect and shortages where everything was all run-down and grubby.

(But, as I said, that was two decades ago. No doubt much has improved since then.)

The church looks to still be standing today.
    It's the Church of Saint Mary Magdalene [Kostel svaté Máří Magdaleny or in German St.-Maria-Magdalena-Kirche), an 18th century High Baroque Church.

The grey building with the glass construction on the roof seen in the foreground of the color photo opposite the church houses the Vřídlo [in German Sprudel], a hot mineral water geyser. It was built in the late 1960s (in a style typical for the dull, functional aesthetics of Eastern Block architecture. A pity, especially when compared to its predecessor seen in your old photograph.)

Just one today, but something different. A Russian soldier. Some writing and a stamp on the reverse. No clue what it says, but the seller gave me this much info:

Artillery Major Petr Popov 3rd Guards Light Infantry Regiment. February 4, 1941. Stamp is supposed to be from the 59th Rifle Division.

Germans waiting for the Great Pumpkin, in a very sincere pumpkin patch:

General Douglas MacArthur:

You know, there are vases, and then there are VASES. Where do you even find something like that? If that turned out to be an urn....

MAP
    ?

Nice ones. Like them all but really like the 2nd one with the soldier on the right wearing what appears to be a nice bronze (early?) PAB.

And love the Charlie Brown reference lol
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Interesting shot in #5 of the Black soldier....I wonder what he thought of the "Master Race" theories....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I wonder how many of these young men went to fight on the eastern front... I'm betting more of them than didn't.

[QUOTE=avenger;1640718]I wonder how many of these young men went to fight on the eastern front... I'm betting more of them than didn't.

And how many of them ever made it Home again...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast