Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Seeking Info On Some WWII German Photos

Article about: Hi all, I'm new here and amazed at the knowledge base!! I am not a collector per se of WWII German photos but many yrs ago I bought a large mixed group and never got around to researching th

Default Seeking Info On Some WWII German Photos

Hi all,

I'm new here and amazed at the knowledge base!! I am not a collector per se of WWII German photos but many yrs ago I bought a large mixed group and never got around to researching them. I will start by listing a few today and go thru them in small lots -- all info appreciated! For instance, I don't know if the band group photos are pre-war, what ranks, etc... assuming they are some kind of Heer band, or ? I guess these two could be pics of the same band, or two different bands, hard to compare faces -- not sure since they came in a loose grouping with other un-related photos. I don't read German and the hand-writing isn't very good I don't think!

The artillery one is a mystery -- ie, it says 1941 on the back but the cannons look old-fashioned compared to ones I usually see in WWII pics... Thx in advance!Seeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German PhotosSeeking Info On Some WWII German Photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Seeking Info On Some WWII German Photos
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Nice photos.

Not sure if I can "pinpoint" the timing of the photos of the band(s). Maybe our members with better knowledge of uniforms could help, however they are early 3rd Reich. BUT...in both photos they are wearing the M34 field cap WITH the Soutache (the upside down "V" which indicates the branch of service. The Soutache was officially discontinued (and removed) in 1941. Further, the NCO in the photo is wearing what we call a Teller (Circular) Form style visor. Later visors were styled in the more common Saddle form. While I think officially the Teller Form style was never discontinued as an "issued" cap, the Saddle form were also made. I know I have a few government issued (versus private purchase) NCO visors from 1936/37 that are the Saddle form shape. So while it is always possible that it is a later photo just with older uniforms, I find it highly unlikely. I would place this photo sometime around the 2nd half of the 1930's.

Interesting that the bugler in one of the photos has his head bandaged.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

CBH
    ?

The artillery guns shown appear to be 10.5-cm leFH 18 Howitzer, in its first design type, later these had muzzle brakes and lighter carriages mounted. But the early model was seen throughout the war.

MAP
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    The artillery guns shown appear to be 10.5-cm leFH 18 Howitzer, in its first design type, later these had muzzle brakes and lighter carriages mounted. But the early model was seen throughout the war.
    Beat me to it Chris...lol. yes I agree

Here is a link

10.5 cm leFH 18 - Wikipedia
    Last edited by MAP; 10-10-2018 at 06:32 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks you guys!! You are so detailed and helpful... wow, talk about expertise and down to the fine points!! I've got a number of more photos I will post as time allows, love to hear your thoughts

Thanks so much for your time and sharing some amazing details!!

- - ------- - -

Very cool!