Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS-captured Brit. Morris Truck

Article about: Here´re images of a british Morris Truck, captured by an SS recon-unit, (hope, you like ´em ?):

?

Default Re: SS-captured Brit. Morris Truck

Ah that one , cheers
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-captured Brit. Morris Truck
    P
    Many

CMc
    ?

Those are great pictures, I also like the mess tins and things hanging in the cab of the Morris, little details like that give you a taste of the lives and personalities of the people who crew a vehicle.

I grew up around lorries, and often found that even amongst vehicles in a fleet that are outwardly identical, no two interiors were ever completely alike, with all the little personalisations, storage arrangements and additions and accoutrements that drivers liked to add to make their jobs a little easier and their environments a little more comfortable.

Regards the spliit bonnet, yes that was a fairly common arrangement on 'conventional' layout commercial vehicles (i.e. with the engine in front of the cab under a bonnet, rather than a 'cabover' or 'forward control' layout with the engine underneath the cabin, separated by a metal 'hump'.) of the time, it's even fairly common on cars and vans of the time, as you say it was meant for ease of maintenance, the bonnet sides often lifted up or removed entirely too, to allow total access to one side of the engine. For more extensive jobs, like complete engine removal, the entire bonnet, with the central spine it was hinged on, could be removed. It was also common, in hotter climates or on engines prone to overheating, to remove the bonnet sides permanantly and drive around with only the top parts on, which post-war became a fashionable way for pre-war built hot rods and custom cars to run.

?

Love the pics!!!! I collect SS photos. I am looking for Camo smock photos right now. If ya have any photos ya wanna sell, let me know. Once again, great pics !!!

Quote by Newbie View Post
    Love the pics!!!! I collect SS photos. I am looking for Camo smock photos right now. If ya have any photos ya wanna sell, let me know. Once again, great pics !!!
    Sorry, I do not have any SS-images for sell.
    I had some, but I traded them for blank weapons long time ago.

I still have a photo-album of this soldier and some single pics.
    Also some documents and some of his decorations.
    The veteran gave me all these stuff before his death and I´ll keep this things.

Rgds.,

R.

... I am looking for Camo smock photos right now. If ya have any photos ya wanna sell, let me know. ...
    As I sayed, I do not have any for sell, but I show you this one, (I had two of them, but I traded one for trench-knive´s).

It´s only a studio-portrait, but I like it.

Interesting the "white band" on the sleeve and the camo of the helmet-cover.

P.S.:
    Grandpa told me, this pic was taken to be an inspiring example for a propaganda-painting.
    He also told me, he didn´t like this "acting" and "posing" in the photo-studio !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-captured Brit. Morris Truck   SS-captured Brit. Morris Truck  

SS-captured Brit. Morris Truck   SS-captured Brit. Morris Truck  

Last edited by Reibert; 08-21-2010 at 11:47 AM.

?

AMAZING !!!!! I love it !!!!! Thanks for posting and allowing me to see such a great picture !!!! ......... if ya ever want to sell it, please consider me first. Thanks again for posting !

AMAZING !!!!! I love it !!!!! Thanks for posting and allowing me to see such a great picture !!!! ......... if ya ever want to sell it, please consider me first. Thanks again for posting !
    There are exactly three prints of this studio portrait in "PK Größe", (postcard size), from the soldier's estate.
    One is in the possession of his grandson, but unfortunately I can't contact him to see if he might pass it on to me...

Many years ago I gave a second print to a collector in Norway in exchange.
    I received exchange goods worth well over EUR 1,000.00 for the portrait.

A third, ultimately remaining print is still in my possession along with the entire estate.

Highlights are certainly the certificate signed by "Papa Hausser" as well as the certificate for the “water finder” with the corresponding signatures!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2