Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS studio photo,original or postwar print?

Article about: Hi. I got this photo for a fair price and wonder if its a original photo or a postwar print? It seems old, but these days you can fake almost everything! The photo is 21.5 cm x 14.5 cm Is th

Default SS studio photo,original or postwar print?

Hi. I got this photo for a fair price and wonder if its a original photo or a postwar print?
    It seems old, but these days you can fake almost everything!

The photo is 21.5 cm x 14.5 cm

Is this EM in SS-VT or Waffen-SS?

Attachment 216575Attachment 216570Attachment 216571Attachment 216572Attachment 216573Attachment 216574

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS studio photo,original or postwar print?
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS studio photo,original or postwar print?

He is a NCO in the Totenkopfverbande
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Just for additional info, please allow me to add that his rank is Oberscharführer and his unit the Totenkopfstandarte 6 raised in 1939.

Thanks for the info!

But what do you think about the photo, is it genuine?

?

Hello Farradin, as you know... alot of photos are hard to tell unless you have them In-Hand. Just keep in mind that these SS studio portraits (especially earlier ones)were always top quality prints. Meaning that detail and contrast were main issues of concern to the printer/studio. Im not sure that anyone will be able to answer your question as to originality, especially seeing that the photo is of a smaller size (smaller than 9x6).

?

Really not sure about the paper plus quite an unusual pose for a portrait concentrating on the Totenkopf collar tab !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The photo is big, 21cmx14cm! I bought it on ebay, and the seller got more on the same person but I only bought this one, unfortunately.

Here's the other photo that someone else bought (same person as mine)

Attachment 216784

Here is another photo that I bought today...

Attachment 216787

my vote is that they are reproductions,,,i dont see a lot of detail that i believe would be evident in photos of this type and possibly aged to seem like original photos,,but as stated earlier,,,a "in-hand" inspection is best...

?

Quote by Farradin View Post
    The photo is big, 21cmx14cm! Attachment 216784
    oh Im sorry, I misread. That IS a correct size for these type of portraits, however after seeing the other ones....I dont have a good feeling about these. The contrast and detail are just not there for a studio quality portrait, especially SS. Notice the "muddy" shades of grey? that isnt a good sign on this type of photo. Also, the edges seem to be misshaped, but it could just be a sort of optical illusion in the way they are sitting. Blacklight test is an option, but keep in mind that fakers have come up with ways to "beat it", so it is not a foolproof test. I would check the sellers return policy and make sure you make a decision before the return period closes. Good luck, I wish you the best outcome, and hopefully other members will voice an opinion to help make your decision easier. Take care