Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions

Article about: This is a later StahlhelmBund member. Note the National Eagle worn on the cap instead of the "der stahlhelm" badge. As HPL has informed us....the National Eagle started to be worn

?

Default Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions

Hey guys, I got this grouping of photos recently. Some of them do not have the best clarity, but you will get the point hopefully. I was hoping to get some opinions or reassurance that I am correct with identifying specific groups. I know I am correct on some, but I will post the whole group anyway. thanks

I'll start with this one. I believe it to be NSKK. However, they are using a civilian motorcycle and some do not have the regular NSKK insignia or collar tabs etc. Some are not wearing the sam-brown belts/straps either. What do you think?

PLEASE CLICK TO ENLARGE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions

Hitler Jugend Leader (it was labeled SA when I bought it)

and Stahlhelmbund? (looks like the Rotenburg shield that is in other pics in the group)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions   Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions  

?

this one was labeled "Rotenburg" Early SA. But I believe it to be Stahlhelmbund Rotenburg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions   Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions  

?

another labeled "rotenburg early SA" which I believe to be Stahelmbund der frontsoldaten as well. I have added the writing on reverse (no clue what it says)

?

now the 1st photo I dont believe to be related to Rotenburg, but I think they are der Stahlhelm as well. (also were labeled early SA) But why the extra large straps?

The 2nd seems to actually be SA

Last edited by Bill T; 03-18-2011 at 05:32 AM.

?

this one was simply labeled "Verdun France". They look to be Reichswehr or ww1 but with the fur coats, they look important. haha

?

this was the odd one in the group. seems to be a ww1 Sanitater. What is the man in front left wearing over his boot?? It also looks like they have maps hanging from there necks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm photos, SA, and others - would like opinions  

?

anyone have an idea of who the men are in the first photo at least??? Volksturm? Nskk?

Alright, here we go...

Photo # 1:
    These are members of the SA. Some of the men have an additional badge on the sides of their cap turn-ups; this appears to be either the stemless EdelweiƟ worn by the Hochland district or the different pattern of EdelweiƟ with a stem as worn by ex-Austrian units. My guess is that the photograph was taken at a school/training facility.

Photo # 2:
    An early Hitlerjugend member.

Photo # 3:
    A WW1 veteran and member of the Stahlhelmbund, wearing the special Wehrsport collar patches. (example: http://i.ebayimg.com/15/!C!I%29J+QEW...ik08g~~_35.JPG )

Photo # 3/4:
    Members of the Stahlhelmbund, again, all wearing the Wehrsport collar patches. Sitting in the front row, 2nd from left is a musician as identified by his "swallow's nests". Standing to the right of the sitting men with his profile turned to us, an Oberwehrmann as identified by his single sleeve chevron.

Photo # 5:
    Again, Stahlhelmbund with Wehrsport collar patches. According to the text on the photo's back, they were photographed on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the Rotenburg local unit, 15/16 August 1931. The sleeveshield worn by the men in the left foreground is the Landesverband insigne for Gau Unterweser.
    (Super photo, by the way!)

Photo # 6:
    Stahlhelmbund, once more. The man in the center appears to be wearing the special Jungstahlhelm collar patches. (example: http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4706/dsc05232t.jpg ) The wide straps are certainly not a part of the uniforms, but pieces of equipment. They might be some type of Schleppriemen as used for man-handling heavy equipment, or simply flag bearer's bandoleers.

Photo # 6:
    They are NSDAP Political Leaders.

Phtos # 7/8 and 9:
    Sorry, WW1 is not my area of expertise, so I can't be of help there. (Still # 9 is another brilliant image!) The two men in the foreground of # 9 wear laced boots with leather gaiters.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 03-18-2011 at 05:37 PM.

?

HPL, I know you are probably sick of hearing me say thank you but, THANK YOU. I know it must have taken a while to write this, so I appreciate your time. I now understand why in the first photo, they are using a Civi Bike. I completely misidentified them as NSKK, but the Hochland SA with stemless edelweiss makes complete sense now. I wouldnt have thought of that and I am very suprised they are SA actually. I appreciate the ID on the Wehrsport insignia. I have seen these without the wehrsport writing on them before I believe. There is also a Jungstahlhelm collar tab for sale on estand. But again, I am glad I can now spot them in future photos. The sleeveshield is interesting to me. (thanks for the translation). I thought it was something related to Rotenburg, so now I know different. I have learned alot from u here. I think I will start to research the Stahlhelmbund more. It seems like there is alot to learn about them. I really did not think those were gaiters in #9, so that is why I asked. The ones on the left looked odd to me, but I agree now of course. Also, I see some members of Stahlhelm wear the "Der Stahlhelm" membership badge on there caps......was this not done by everyone?

Its too bad that some of these photos are not the clearest or sharpest images. But they are still pretty neat, seeing though they are not seen in regular photo sales very often. They were very "affordable" since the seller had not a clue as to origin of the photos. Im just glad there are a couple clear stahlhelm shots in the group. Thank you again my friend, your knowledge always impresses me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast