Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stalingrad Shield??

Article about: Guys, check this out.... I found this online from a good source, but have never seen "Stalingrad Shield" on a death card or any other official doc. I always thought this sheild was

?

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hello everyone,

After I posted that I had Johann bretzendorfers wehrpass, I was contacted and offered the death card (which I bought from a very, very nice chap!) so I thought I would post a photo of them together.

Thanks for your interest guys!
    Thanks for posting this update , what a contrast in the 2 photos
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad Shield??
    P
    Many

Hi hucks, massively overdue but here are the photos of the units he served (to see if he was entitled to the Ostmedaille)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad Shield??   Stalingrad Shield??  

Stalingrad Shield??  

It looks like he was in Germany for the qualifying period for the Ostmedaille so wasn't entitled to it.

Thanks for the super quick reply! So it looks like the death card was embellished by the family/printer after all.

Have you seen examples where awards have been added to death cards before?

Congrats, great set you have there! Take good care of them. Its almost a wonder these two have found back together after such a long time.

TWS
    ?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Hmmm.......

Like you I have always thought the shield was designed but never produced.
    Yes sir. Sketched/designed, but never produced.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hello everyone,

After I posted that I had Johann bretzendorfers wehrpass, I was contacted and offered the death card (which I bought from a very, very nice chap!) so I thought I would post a photo of them together.

Thanks for your interest guys!
    That's awesome that you were able to unite the two items. A while back I bought a named Luftwaffe Oberstleutnant's tunic and a collector friend informed me that a photo album belonging to this man was for sale on a dealer site. It was a going-away present from the officers of his staff when he transferred out of that unit. You can bet I bought it.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks Adravor,

I have had the Wehrpass for over 20years now and I was so happy when I was offered the death card. There was an identical example on eBay but that was quite a while ago so you never know it might resurface at some point.

An interesting thing happened too, while I was looking on the net for death cards I came across an amazing website dedicated to them, and low and behold there is a death card (which I and the person who runs the website) are certain belongs to his brother.

Totenzettel - Sterbebilder - Memoriam Cards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad Shield??  

Quote by TWS View Post
    That's awesome that you were able to unite the two items. A while back I bought a named Luftwaffe Oberstleutnant's tunic and a collector friend informed me that a photo album belonging to this man was for sale on a dealer site. It was a going-away present from the officers of his staff when he transferred out of that unit. You can bet I bought it.

Great story! It’s just a shame some people break groups for profit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast