Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

strange German river boats - any ideas?

Article about: hi, please see the attached photos of German soldiers messing about in boats. But what sort of boat is it? Its a little too large for a motorised canoe but its not an assault craft either. A

Default strange German river boats - any ideas?

hi, please see the attached photos of German soldiers messing about in boats. But what sort of boat is it? Its a little too large for a motorised canoe but its not an assault craft either. Any ideas?

cheers, davestrange German river boats - any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement strange German river boats - any ideas?
    P
    Many

Much like the late-war one-man Demolition-Boats...
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

I don't believe these are Linsen boats (explosive boats) too narrow and no trigger railing on the bow .

Quote by CBH View Post
    I don't believe these are Linsen boats (explosive boats) too narrow and no trigger railing on the bow .
    I agree, I was referring to the similarity in configuration...the long, sleek bow/front end -for the charge- and the crewman far in the back...Perhaps a Training-Session on the Rhein?
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

Linsen boats were small radio controlled , wooden shells 17ft long with a 4 1/2 ft beam with a draught of 16 inches . Carrying an explosive charge of 1000 lbs and powered by a Ford V-8 producing 90 hp or 95 hp in a later models . These were used by K Flotilla .

agree with Glenns remarks.

Great Info on a subject I have yet to explore in detail...
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

It came from "Kommando" German Special Forces of World War Two by James Lucas 1985
    Good book , talks about Brandenburg and other commando type units .

a Ford V8 motor? You'd definitely need a grab rail on that little number!! Thanks guys, not sure I care about the boat the German gentlemen are playing with, the Ford V8 version sounds a load more fun.

many thanks and regards, dave

CBH
    ?

The Ford V-8 was in the German boat , and the Railing on the bow contained an explosive charge that blows the bow off the Linsen boat when striking it's target vessel , causing it sink so that the main charge would detonate underwater with the force of a sea mine . It was pretty much a surface torpedo , that was Captained to a few hundred yards from its target , then the radio control was turned on and the Captain jumps over the side . He would then be picked up by a Command vessel who also had the Radio control unit .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast