Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Translation help on back of photo please.....

Article about: Can anyone translate the writing on the back of this photo please?

?

Default Translation help on back of photo please.....

Can anyone translate the writing on the back of this photo please?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Translation help on back of photo please.....   Translation help on back of photo please.....  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Translation help on back of photo please.....
    P
    Many

Default Re: Translation help on back of photo please.....

Adrian....nice photo marred by the watermark !...I feared this would happen (watermarks across the centre of photographs), when Ade posted the software.....

Quote by oradour View Post
    Adrian....nice photo marred by the watermark !...I feared this would happen (watermarks across the centre of photographs), when Ade posted the software.....
    He's just posting it for the translation help. I'll try to translate it Adrian.

Its saying something like "Welcoming of the Admiral (on the right)" and is dated 1943.

It says:

"Welcoming of the teachers by the Admiral. (Headmaster on the right) (Admiral in conversation)"

Oddly, "Admiral" (which is spelt the same in German as it is in English) is misspelled as "Amiral" twice.

?

Thank you Gentlemen for your help!
    It's interesting, does 'headmaster' or 'teachers' have a different meaning in German? I would think of headmaster and teacher as being school, college or education related but the photos in the group are all from a U-Boot group. No kids in sight!

I noticed the mi-spelling of 'Admiral', because it occured twice I thought it was a completely different word.

Steve, sorry about the watermark. It wasn't down to Ade's software but my own photo editing program. I generally watermark all my photos if I post them on the internet. I try to place them over a 'boring' area wherever possible.

Quote by AdrianC View Post
    It's interesting, does 'headmaster' or 'teachers' have a different meaning in German? I would think of headmaster and teacher as being school, college or education related but the photos in the group are all from a U-Boot group. No kids in sight!
    It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try:

The words in question are "Lehrer" [= teacher(s)] and "Direktor" [= headmaster].

Apart from its use for teachers/schoolmasters/educators etc. "Lehrer" could also be translated as "instructor", "tutor" etc., but is normally used when referring to actual teachers within the education system proper.
    Other kinds of instructors, trainers etc. are usually referred to by different terms like "Ausbilder", "Referent" etc. or by composite terms describing their specific job, for example "Fluglehrer" = "flight instructor" etc.

Not specifically referring to headmasters/principals etc. "Direktor" is a generic term used for all kinds of heads of schools, official institutions, administrative agencies and even businesses and factories etc. (although the latter use is practically obsolete these days.) Thus, depending on context, it could also be translated as "director", "manager" etc. It is also used as part of officials' designations, like "Regierungsdirektor".

Anyway, "Context" is really the key word here... A group of "Lehrer" with their "Direktor" can be safely assumed to be teachers with their headmaster.

It is, in any case, clearly a civlian group. The actual nature of their visit/stay with the Navy is up to anybody's guess.

Maybe first day of boot camp:

?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'll try:

The words in question are "Lehrer" [= teacher(s)] and "Direktor" [= headmaster].

Apart from its use for teachers/schoolmasters/educators etc. "Lehrer" could also be translated as "instructor", "tutor" etc., but is normally used when referring to actual teachers within the education system proper.
    Other kinds of instructors, trainers etc. are usually referred to by different terms like "Ausbilder", "Referent" etc. or by composite terms describing their specific job, for example "Fluglehrer" = "flight instructor" etc.

Not specifically referring to headmasters/principals etc. "Direktor" is a generic term used for all kinds of heads of schools, official institutions, administrative agencies and even businesses and factories etc. (although the latter use is practically obsolete these days.) Thus, depending on context, it could also be translated as "director", "manager" etc. It is also used as part of officials' designations, like "Regierungsdirektor".

Anyway, "Context" is really the key word here... A group of "Lehrer" with their "Direktor" can be safely assumed to be teachers with their headmaster.

It is, in any case, clearly a civlian group. The actual nature of their visit/stay with the Navy is up to anybody's guess.
    That's interesting and an education for me, thank you for taking the time to explain.

I guess we can only speculate as to the reason behind their visit. They seem to be of mature years so perhaps new recruits can be ruled out. Interesting the the Headmaster has his hands smartly on the seam of his trousers and they are quite formal in appearance while being introduced to the Admiral.
    I'll post the whole set of pics when I get the chance. There are a couple more taken at the same place (I'm guessing) with mainly Kriegsmarine personnel at a couple of civilians in amongst the ranks.