Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Translation of postcards would be appreciated!

Article about: So, with 2018 drawing to a close, I located these two postcards. Still in my horse related buying mode, and these fit right in. Andreas! If you are out there and wouldn't mind, I would love

Default Translation of postcards would be appreciated!

So, with 2018 drawing to a close, I located these two postcards. Still in my horse related buying mode, and these fit right in.
    Andreas! If you are out there and wouldn't mind, I would love to get these translated so that I might include a note with the translated text and address.
    One is plainly dated December 13, 1940 and appears to have been sent from a replacement battalion of Artillery troops to someone at home(?). The other seems to be an interwar card. No evidence to the date on it.
    The first from 1940;
    And the second from prior to the war(I think);

Comments are always welcome and thanks for looking!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Translation of postcards would be appreciated!
    P
    Many

The first card was sent to the Steinmetz family of Herleshausen. It says:

"Siegen den 12.12.1940

Ihr lieben alle ich will euch
    kurz mitteilen daß es mir
    noch gut geht, was ich von
    euch auch hoffe seid nun
    alle gegrüßt von Ernst
    [...]
    aus Siegen.
    Kanonier Ernst
    [...]
    bei Art. Ers. Abt. [= Artillerie-Ersatz-Abteilung] 251 Siegen
    in Westf.
    [= Westfalen] Hindenburgkaserne."

...i.e.:

"Siegen, 12/12/1940

You dear ones I want to briefly notify you that I am still well, which I hope goes for you too now all of you be greeted by Ernst
    [...] from Siegen.
    Kanonier Ernst
    [...]
    with Artillery Replacement Detachment 251 Siegen in Westphalia, Hindenburg Barracks"

He really used almost no interpunction. Sorry, I am having trouble with decyphering the sender's surname. At first I thought it to be "Achler", but the first letter can't be an "A" as he writes that letter differently. (Compare with the "A" in "Art." and "Abt.")

Kanonier [gunner] is the lowest private rank in the artillery branch.

The second card was sent to Miss Johanna Kehlenbach of Bonn. It says:

"Meine liebe kl. [= kleine] Hannimaus!
    Bevor ich wieder in's
    [...]
    fahre sende ich Dir
    in Gedanken immer noch
    bei Dir herzlichste Grüße
    und einen lieben Kuß
    von Deinem
    Lausbub
    "

...i.e.:

"My dear little Hanni-Mouse!
    Before going back to the
    [...] and still with you in my thoughts, I send to you whole-hearted greetings and a dear kiss from your
    rascal
    "

I am not quite sure about the missing word. To me it looks like "Siefen", which doesn't make sense to me in this context.

Awesome! Thank you so much Andreas!
    These are gifts for my daughter and I will write these translations down so she will always have them.
    Thanks again and Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!

Last edited by carpediem; 02-05-2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Duplicate/incomplete

As some of you are aware, my daughter is putting together a horse/cavalry related collection, with my help, of course. So, along that line have come to me two more postcards. In a crazy twist, and a fact I didn't actually notice until I had them in hand, they were sent by the same man what appears to be one month apart, in the spring of 1938.
    In the first of the two "Meldereiter im Galopp", it seems as though a Gefreiter Breuning is sending a quick message to his family at Bahnhofstrasse .45 in a town I cannot make out. It seems as though the gefreiter is in the 1 Abt. of Kavallerie Regiment 18, a member of the Sonderlehrgang at the Birkenfeldt Barracks. If anyone can clarify my awful translation, it would be greatly appreciated. For instance, what are the letters just before the family name, "Chr." ? I have no idea the message he sends nor what a Sonderlehrgang is. This appears to have been sent April 2?, 1938.

The second postcard from Gefreiter Breuning is actually a duplicate of the "Reitertrupp" postcard from the beginning of this thread. This one is dated May 25, 1938. This time, Gefreiter Breuning has a more lengthy message to his family at Bahnhofstrasse .45 and it appears as though he is now in 4 Schwadron, Kav. Regt. 18 in Cannstadt. In his message it appears to mention his comrades and a Wurtingen flag. Judging by the "W" in squadron, the town of his family would look to be Calw, which makes sense since it is near to Stuttgart where he is stationed. That's all I can make out. If anyone can decipher the rest and correct my mistakes, I would be greatly appreciative.
    Thanks for looking!

I'll have a look at them in the evening (on a decent-sized screen instead of my phone). "Chr." is simply an abbreviated first name, like Christoph or Christian.

Both cards were sent to Chr. Breuning and family at Bahnhofstr. 45, Calw.

The first card says:

"Einen Gruß
    sendet Euch
    Gefr.
    [= Gefreiter] Breuning
    I. Abt. Kav. Regt. 18
    [= I. Abteilung Kavallerie-Regiment 18]
    Sonderlehrgang / Birkenfeld-
    baracke
    "

...meaning:

"Greetings to you from Gefreiter Breuning, I. Squadron, Cavalry Regiment 18, special training course, Birkenfeld Barracks".

An Abteilung is a battalion-sized cavalry unit.

The second one:

"24.5.38
    Liebe Eltern!
    Da ich am Sonntag mit
    einem Kameraden nach
    Würtingen fahre, werde ich
    nicht nach Calw kommen u. [= und]
    bitte ich mir die restliche
    Wäsche bestimmt bis Montag
    zu senden. Es grüßt Euch
    herzlichst Euer Erwin.
    Gefreiter Breuning 4. Schwadron
    Kav. Rgt. 18 [= Kavallerie-Regiment 18]. Cannstatt.
    "

...meaning:

"24 May 38
    Dear parents!
    As I will be going to Würtingen with a comrade on Sunday, I will not go to Calw and ask you to make sure to send me the remaining laundry by Monday. Cordial greetings from your Erwin.
    Gefreiter Breuning 4th Troop 18th Cavalry Regiment
    ".

A Schwadron is a company-sized cavalry unit.

Awesome! Thanks so much Andreas. I have a long way to go with deciphering these postcards. I did get some of it though! Thankfully it isn't in sutterlin! I really appreciate your help! I wonder how Gefreiter Breuning fared through the war.