MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.

Article about: I finally got round to taking some pics of my collection of photos from U-406 today so thought I would share them here. For those that don't know, a relation by marriage, Richard Koch served

?

Default Re: U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.   U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.  

U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.   U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.
    P
    Many

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.   U-Boat photos from the crew of U-406.  

Great thread! Thanks for showing these.

Regards

?

Last lot coming up. I believe these are the latest photos to be taken.
    For example, in the second photo down the guy on the right and again in the third photo down on the extreme left, the same person. He wears the EK1 and U-Boots Krieigsabzeichen on his tunic. If you look back at the first photo posted of the entire crew you will see him here fresh faced and seemingly undecorated in the middle row, third from the left. He also appears throughout the series of pics.

KSH
    ?

Thank you Adrian, for posting all of these highly interesting photos related to U-406. I hope that you over time might come over some information that will help you to contextualize your photos more than what is possible today - and perhaps then you even might be able to identify your relative in the photographs among other things.

It takes time and effort also to extract all the bits of information that might be hidden in the photos themselves, something I have experienced myself in my own "project". Things that may have stared you right in the face for a long time without you noticing it, might suddenly make themselves known - at least I have experienced this myself.

Hochachtungsvoll,

Kenneth S-H.

?

Wonderful collection of photographs Adrian, one couldn't help but smile when I noticed the smiling faces on the crew members in the "sunnier climes" shots, they must have been relieved to feel the sun on their skin! And browsing through your grouping, I could almost hear the incessant thrum and rattle of the diesel engines, as the boat made its way off on another patrol.....

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. I'll make a mental note, if I ever spot anything related to U-406, I'll point you in the right direction.

?

Thank you for your comments guys.
    Carl, your reference to the diesel engines is ironic. The engine room shots were some of the photos I didn't win but I saved them so I'll post them below. I appreciate your offer to look for anything related to the boat, if anyone sees them, I would love to get the photos I missed out on if they ever come back up for sale. The U-Boat emblem is unique to that boat, a stylised bird as you can see below.

?

That's a shame you missed those Adrian, but ears to the ground and eyes wide open...one never knows...maybe, like the boat, they'll surface when least expected. Great shots again.

Cheers,

Carl

?

I almost forgot these last two. They came with the above photos and are part of the same lot but I'm not sure they depict U-406. In the first you can clearly see the 'Snorting Bull' of the 7th U-Boot Flottille to which U-406 was assigned but the type of boat is different if you compare the conning tower to those I've posted previously. The second one was included in the first lot of photos but on the back it says U-83. Either way, they're still good images!

Adian, great photos, I'm amazed that these many good clear phptos still exist. Good work and hope you can post more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2