MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The war in Finland

Article about: Guys Has anyone any photos of Roveneimi either during the 1939 Winter War or more particularly the German destruction in the later war? Also were there any Waffen SS units involved? Nick

Default The war in Finland

Guys

Has anyone any photos of Roveneimi either during the 1939 Winter War or more particularly the German destruction in the later war?

Also were there any Waffen SS units involved?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The war in Finland
    P
    Many

Default Re: The war in Finland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rovaniemi_burned.jpg

I have a pile of pics at home. I will endeavour to upload them this pm.

Will

Will

That would be great!

I have been to Roveneimi and will be returning soon so would just like to see how it was then.

I beleive it was the scene of some bloody fighting!

Thanks

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Jan
    ?

Nope, no bloody fighting in ROVANIEMI! Actually the town was set ablaze by Finnish artillery fire and retrieting German troops. Bitter remembrances on both sides.. The actual "fighting" was more or less something of the Finns following the Germans to the Norwegian border.

Rgds Jan

Thanks Jan.

Its an area of WW2 I am going to research more of so if you have any interesting links please let me know

Thanks

Nick

Jan
    ?

Most of the lins are in Finnish`, can you specify the area or subject of your interest!

Rgds Jan

Hi Jan

Yes, its the war in Lapland 44/45.

I visited 5 years ago and will be going back. It will be good to identify any areas of WW2 interest.

Unfortunately my Finnish is rusty

Thanks

Nick

Jan
    ?

There is an archeological excavation going on at the moment on one of the many prisoner German prisoner of war sites destroyed by the retrieting forces. The results will be presented in Liverpool later this year.

Rgds Jan

Jan
    ?

Saksalaisten vankileirit Lapissa: Arkeologiset kaivaukset alkavat ? Suomenkuvalehti.fi

In Finnish... I´m sorry but I could get the archaeologist (Oula Seitsonen) in charge of the excavations to contact you or you could contact him at the University of Helsinki.

Rgds Jan
    Archaeologist

Nick,i'll be able to help you very shortly. Stewy S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast