Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What are these SS officers up to?

Article about: [QUOTE=Styx;564812]I just won this photograph on eBay and I can't work out what these soldiers are all about. They're wearing a combination of what looks like grey and black uniforms, with 2

Default Re: What are these SS officers up to?

Surely nothing sinister going on; they have been chopping wood. From the uniforms and insignia I would date the photograph ca. 1934.

When you get the photo, could you post an enlargement of the cuff titles?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What are these SS officers up to?
    P
    Many

?

Cracking image Robbie. That chap at the back is a bit "hello sailor" though isn't he?

Darn it Tiger, you beat me to that one. I was trying to say that while trying to be politically correct. Could not think of anything.
    Perhaps I'm not "PC" then.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

HPL2008, of course I'll do my best to take a clear picture - and ah, good to know! It looked almost like ashes when I first saw it, which is marginally more sinister.

Whilst I'm here, I might post a couple more SS photographs I've just bought to seek general opinion. Anything to mention about these?

Thanks very much for the assistance/jokes everyone! No one in my house cares about my collection so it's always a huge pleasure speaking to those who do.

Robbie

?

Helmets look awfully shiny in that last photo!

Nitram

More good images of the SS-VT. Nice tabs on the greatcoats.

Going back to the original image. I would say 1935. They wear the earth grey tunic.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Is should be note dif it has not already, that one of the fellows (Behind the guy with the armband) has a club over his shoulder. I do also note that their is a lot of what looks like it could be broken glass strew across the ground at their feat. Since these are SS then their may very well be a more menacing story behind the photo. Was there ant writing on the back or just black? Good buy!

?

Are they not emptying a cart of something? The guy stood in the back holding a shovel?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Hmm. So what do we have in favour of it being an innocent activity: sticks could just be tools, they're smiling, it's sunny, what could be wood chips everywhere. In favour of it being more sinister: possible broken glass, sticks held potentially as weapons, they're SS officers so likely to be doing something suspicious. It's actually pretty difficult to work out! The date should help, somehow, though. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but why would they be wearing a mixture of earth-grey and black uniforms?

Robbie

?

Quote by Styx View Post
    they're SS officers so likely to be doing something suspicious.
    That's an interesting statement Robbie. Just because they're SS doesn't automatically mean they're up to no good. With respect, that comment is borne out of ingnorance and reading too many comic books where the SS are always doing something sinister. Maybe a little more research into the SS is needed?
    There is nothing sinister going on in the photo and trying to sensationalise it is wrong.
    Also they're not officers but enlisted men as previously stated.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Sorry Adrian :/ that comment was the remainder of a joke I nearly made; I was going to say something along the lines of "I mean, come on, they're the SS" then decided to leave it out; sadly, the statement itself I left in. You're absolutely right, I know of several cases where the SS are far from the "bad guys" (we studied a fellow in history where first of all we were shown an image of him in his SS uniform then told he'd only joined to try to reform the organisation). Hopefully you can forgive me that misjudgement!
    Humbly,
    Robbie

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast