Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

WWII photobook of my grandfather served in Rgt. 616 WH 16

Article about: Fantastic photo's Martin, thanks for sharing them with us. Jay

Default Re: WWII photobook of my grandfather served in Rgt. 616 WH 16

7.:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII photobook of my grandfather served in Rgt. 616 WH 16  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII photobook of my grandfather served in Rgt. 616 WH 16
    P
    Many

and the last one, which I found most interesting:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII photobook of my grandfather served in Rgt. 616 WH 16  

Quote by Iceberg View Post
    I don't understand everything so perhaps HPL can clarify things. Here is what they send me:
    Since you are German, I understand that it is just the period handwriting that gives you trouble, not the printed or typewritten entries. (I feel your pain... Sütterlin gives me great trouble, too, and I am far from perfect at decyphering it!)
    So, instead of doing all of these documents in full, I hope it is alright if I just summarize the handwritten bits :

The son of Heinrich König sen. and his wife Martha König (née Schmidt) - who died in 1938 - Heinrich König was born on 17 November 1906 at Castrop-Rauxel and later lived at the Augustastraße 18 at Herten.

A Protestant [evangelisch] by confession, he married Josefine König (née Leineweber) on 24 August 1930.

A butcher [Fleischer] by trade, his civilian occupation at the time of his call-up was as a master butcher [Fleischermeister].

Medically examined on 25 April 1939 at the Defense District Command [Wehrbezirkskommando] Recklinghausen, Heinrich König was found fit for duty [tauglich] and taken into the Replacement Reserve I [Ersatzreserve I]
    [Ersatzreserve I was the category for all men who had undergone the medical examination and been found fit for duty but who had not been called up yet.]

His own wish was to serve with the infantry, for which he was found particularly well-suited.

He was called up on 8 January 1940 and had to report for duty by 1200 hrs. at the Defense District Replacement Depot [Wehrkreisersatzdepot VI] at Münster.

Befitting his civilian job, his intended military occupation was as a cook [Koch] with 12/Kraftwagen-Transport-Regiment 616.

He was promoted to Oberkraftfahrer on 26 September 1940, effective of 1 September 1940. (Oberkraftfahrer was the rank designation for the second-lowest rank for motor transport units, equivalent to - for example - Oberschütze in the Infantry)

His next promotion was to Gefreiter on 4 January 1941, effective of 1 January 1941.

He had also qualified for the Armed Forces Drivers' Licence Class 2 [Wehrmacht-Führerschein Kl. 2].

On 31 July 1942, he was decorated with the Winter Campaign Medal [Medaille "Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42" (Ostmedaille)]

From 20 November 42 through 4 January 43 he was on sick-leave.

He was not sentenced to any punishments and his conduct was found to be be "very good" [sehr gut] by his commanding officer.

If you have any additional specific questions, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-21-2011 at 05:13 PM.

Thank you very much for your explanation HPL. I have two questions in addition.

On document 7 it states: Abgang: Überwiesen am: 08.01.1944 an: This is what I can't read.

On document 8 it says: 20 November 42 through 4 January 43. You say he was on sick-leave. What is written there exactly ?

Thanks again

Martin

Quote by Iceberg View Post
    Thank you very much for your explanation HPL. I have two questions in addition.
    On document 7 it states: Abgang: Überwiesen am: 08.01.1944 an: This is what I can't read.
    On document 8 it says: 20 November 42 through 4 January 43. You say he was on sick-leave. What is written there exactly ?
    Like I said, Sütterlin is trouble for me. I can't fully make out those two entries.

The Überweisungs-entry of 8 Jan. 44 says "[...]-Ersatz-Kp. 355". Some Replacement Company numbered 355, but I can't figure out the first word. (Looks like "Abstell-", but what would that be?)

For the sick leave entry, I would say "[...]/Feld-Laz. (mot.) 766", (Laz. = Lazarett, thus "[...]/Motorized Field Hospital 766")

?

Fantastic historic document!!your grandfather most probably had a Leica camera pictureas are crystal clear....take care of that album..

Martin, Superb album and a True family Treasure! Wow....everyone should be so fortunate to have such a fantastic book! I am especially struck by the ragged Gypsies and the Russian Jews. There you can clearly see the True "Face of War". Your father took some amazing photos-more than your average guy in uniform at the time would have! The Wooly Pigs are priceless! The images of tanks upside down or lying on their sides-just incredible. I fully agree-I would Have to trace his war route, if I were you. It looks like his tour took him All Over Europe. Even French Black African troops! Just beyond description! I am glad your grandfather made it home intact and in good shape! Thank you for sharing this Great album! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Luis22 View Post
    Fantastic historic document!!your grandfather most probably had a Leica camera pictureas are crystal clear....take care of that album..
    Indeed, as my father told me, my grandfather had a leica camera, which my father even used after the war when he became a youngster.

Regards Martin

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    ... I am glad your grandfather made it home intact and in good shape! Thank you for sharing this Great album! William
    Yes, he made it home intact and in good shape, because he deserted from army somewhere in April 1945, shortly before the end of war, as my father told me. He escaped the russian troops swimming trough a big river, don't know the name, camouflaged with parts of a tree. He throw away all his military items to not to be identified as a soldier. This is why I don't have any military item of him.

Regards Martin

And not to forget, a big thanks to all of you whofind the pictures, my grandfather took, so interesting and worth saving his photobook.

Martin

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast