Display your banner here
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast

1944-45 battlefield relics.

Article about: A good days work !!

Default Re: 1944-45 battlefield relics.

In Slovakia for 1st Sept.

Here's relic from Poland, after photo back to ground

This was a German MG and trench positions found maybe 200 meters from my Office two years ago. The digging went on for about three weeks and covered a huge area in the end. After the battle a heap of mixed Russian and German stuff was thrown in there and It was covered over, Two of the guys were ID'd as Waffen SS, with a couple of Heer and some unidentified - all artifacts removed and DESTROYED! I'd go over and spend long lunch breaks chatting to the archeologists....and picked up a few souvenirs of my own from them.
    What did the Authorities do about the human remains?..........destroyed also! ANYBODY who wants to come to Slovakia and dig around.........please do do but LET the German war-graves commission KNOW if you find any of their boys - the Slovaks certainly don't, they'd rather not be reminded about the whole show.
    Anybody who IS coming over - especially your Polski's........get in touch, I'm pretty handy with a shovel myself!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944-45 battlefield relics.   1944-45 battlefield relics.  

1944-45 battlefield relics.   1944-45 battlefield relics.  

?

I'am wondered that both of the helmets is Ssch 36 ... Interesting place, and awesome ground- I wish once to visit that place with the showel
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Is it possible that EU member state officially does not care about wargraves and is not responsible for decent burial of fallen soldiers? It is very ard to belive it. Anyway, stuff they found is in great condition - just look at the M24 grenade box!

These are a couple of pieces I found out walking with my daughter - about 1.5 km from the house. They're now above the door to my workshop.
    There's SO MUCH stuff around here from all over Europe and beyond. A friend of mine has found WWi helmets and a beautiful Broomhandle mauser (the nearby Spa was used for convalesence by the Austro/Hungarian/German army. I've found one French helmet an hours drive away!......the stories behind most of this stuff will remain unknown I suppose

and YES....I know......I need to dust those relics BADLY!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944-45 battlefield relics.   1944-45 battlefield relics.  

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Is it possible that EU member state officially does not care about wargraves and is not responsible for decent burial of fallen soldiers? It is very ard to belive it. Anyway, stuff they found is in great condition - just look at the M24 grenade box!
    I know.......it really disgusts me! Doesn't matter what side the soldiers were on, they were ALL somebody's sons/brothers/husbands and possibly fathers!
    Digging in Slovakia.......I don't think anybody REALLY cares at all......unless of course you start finding live explosives. I think people like ourselves are MUCH more likely to treat what we find with respect that the authorities ever will.
    SOME of the stuff that came out of the dig near my office I remember as being near mint - it was amazing stuff to see. The original paint still intact etc. I didn't see a lot of it, but I know they have a LOT of German munitions and weapons out of there. It was a very mixed area - BOTH sides of a road..on a slope from a forest down to a very boggy area, guarding (they said) the main route from Nitra to Hlohovec (which from a defence point of view...WOULD make sense). They even found some still unopened tins of food intact. I can almost guarantee a lot of the weapons were "lost" by the local Police though!

Below is my post box, one of my nieghbours has maybe 12 of these welded together as a chimney for a log-burner in his garage!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944-45 battlefield relics.  
    Last edited by davies435; 11-15-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Quote by davies435 View Post
    I know.......

Below is my post box, one of my nieghbours has maybe 12 of these welded together as a chimney for a log-burner in his garage!
    That is something one got to see just after the war, over here as well, so i was told. But that didn't long very much.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Quote by davies435 View Post
    This was a German MG and trench positions found maybe 200 meters from my Office two years ago. The digging went on for about three weeks and covered a huge area in the end. After the battle a heap of mixed Russian and German stuff was thrown in there and It was covered over, Two of the guys were ID'd as Waffen SS, with a couple of Heer and some unidentified - all artifacts removed and DESTROYED! I'd go over and spend long lunch breaks chatting to the archeologists....and picked up a few souvenirs of my own from them.
    What did the Authorities do about the human remains?..........destroyed also! ANYBODY who wants to come to Slovakia and dig around.........please do do but LET the German war-graves commission KNOW if you find any of their boys - the Slovaks certainly don't, they'd rather not be reminded about the whole show.
    Anybody who IS coming over - especially your Polski's........get in touch, I'm pretty handy with a shovel myself!
    Some finds in great condition but as has been said a real shame about the poor treatment of the remains as they are now lost forever ! ! Love the postbox !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

98k bayonet
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944-45 battlefield relics.  

Yesterday, 2 russian kettles, Mauser 98k and two unknown soldiers

Last edited by Bandi1973; 11-21-2011 at 10:16 PM.

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 29 ... LastLast