Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century

Article about: Hi guys, The last 3 evenings i've been detecting the local beach. First day i found 20p and some scrap, second day 8p and some more scrap. and this evening you guessed it more scrap, 3 halfp

Default 3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century

Hi guys,

The last 3 evenings i've been detecting the local beach. First day i found 20p and some scrap, second day 8p and some more scrap. and this evening you guessed it more scrap, 3 halfpennys, 3pence and a nice Jetton dating from 1310-1314 Edward 2nd!

The beach has had a lot of sand and shingle put on it. which i think has been pumped from the sea bed

Sorry i didn't find any war time stuff but i'm so chuffed with this find i had to post it

Sorry the pics arn't very good. It's much better than the pictures i have included a picture of what it would have look liked .

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century   3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century  

3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century   3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century  

3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century  

Default Re: 3 evenings of detecting and hit the 14th century

Anyway nice finds!!!
    Do you know how much they are worth present day?

Regards

Pretty cool stuff!

Jetton are common most being French or German. This one is English, Probably worth just a couple of quid. But it's my first Jetton so i'm over the moon

John

Congrats! It's great that you found something so old.
    Made your outings worth the time and effort !

I'd be ecstatic too............!
    Regards,

Steve.

Very impressed with the find mate nice and historical and good condition for 700 years .
    Edward II seems a colourful monach.

Edward II (25 April 1284–1327(?)), called Edward of Caernarfon, was King of England from 1307 until he was deposed by his wife Isabella in January 1327. He was the sixth Plantagenet king, in a line that began with the reign of Henry II. Interspersed between the strong reigns of his father Edward I and son Edward III, the reign of Edward II was disastrous for England, marked by incompetence, political squabbling and military defeats.

Widely rumoured to have been either homosexual or bisexual, Edward fathered at least five children by two women. His inability to deny even the most grandiose favours to his male favourites (first a Gascon knight named Piers Gaveston, later a young English lord named Hugh Despenser) led to constant political unrest and his eventual deposition. The behavior resulted in contemporary accusations of sodomy from Bishop Adam Orleton of Hereford, an ally of Roger Mortimer and Queen Isabella in their successful insurgency against Edward.

Edward I had pacified Gwynedd and some other parts of Wales and the Scottish lowlands, but never exerted a comprehensive conquest. However the army of Edward II was devastatingly defeated at Bannockburn, freeing Scotland from English control and allowing Scottish forces to raid unchecked throughout the north of England.

In addition to these disasters, Edward II is remembered for his probable death in Berkeley Castle, allegedly by murder, and for being the first monarch to establish colleges at Oxford and Cambridge, Oriel College and King's Hall, a predecessor of Trinity College, at Cambridge, respectively.

Cheers
    LUCKYSTRIKE