Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

45,000 live rounds found in UK

Article about: Very lucky farmer indeed. Did they just put lime on the mustard gas shells? I thought they had to incinerate them at high temperatures. I guess the bleach could have neutralized it somehow.

Default Re: 45,000 live rounds found in UK

Very lucky farmer indeed. Did they just put lime on the mustard gas shells? I thought they had to incinerate them at high temperatures. I guess the bleach could have neutralized it somehow. You're a brave man m3, and very trusting of the guys poring the bleach. As you said, I'm sure they will be finding this nasty stuff for years to come.

Jay

?

Quote by spotter View Post
    Hi Gary ref the 20mm they were SAPI (semi armour piercing incendiery) Yes they have all been sent for destruction,,apart from one which strangely the projectile broke off
    Don't you just hate it when things break like that.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Don't you just hate it when things break like that.
    Terrible isnt it

Quote by spotter View Post
    ...apart from one which strangely the projectile broke off
    I bet you were well annoyed when that happened........

Amazing condition considering the length of time it's been in the ground. Almost looks like new

Steve T

From the research we carried out, we found that they dug trenches next to the storage buildings, laid the mustard gas canisters in the bottom, covered them with quick lyme and then used STEN guns to machine gun them. The leaking liquid then reacted with the quick lyme and cuased a fierce fire. When the fires had gone out, they then bull dozed the building walls on top of the bombs to fill the trenches. It was our job to make sure all the canisters had burnt off and that none had been missed.

Heres a link to how it looks today
    Google Maps

That is absolutely amazing M3. Would you have any idea what year that was done? Thanks for the link.

Jay

Just found another picture from this job,,not bucket fulls but some surface finds on post task clean up after the hole had been filled in
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 45,000 live rounds found in UK  

?

Very interesting post
    I went along with EOD a couple of times in Astan. Nutters

Quote by m3bobby View Post
    And theres bound to be more and worse out there. I did a task at RAF Bowes moor about 10 years back clearing mustard gas bombs, the whole place stinks of Bleach, a by product of the lime used to burn the bombs. We did find a live 500LB bomb in the farmers lean too, he dragged it there with his tractor!!
    Farmer, lean to and bomb reminded me of this clip:

Hot Fuzz (4/10) Movie CLIP - Sea Mine (2007) HD - YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2