Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Article about: Would that be the gentleman from Lowestoft who was removed from Flixton. Pity, it was a very good museum, apart from the rotting relics left outside. Metfield had the Luftwaffe's last UK cas

?

Default Re: 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Would that be the gentleman from Lowestoft who was removed from Flixton. Pity, it was a very good museum, apart from the rotting relics left outside. Metfield had the Luftwaffe's last UK casualty as well, although there's not much of that left now.

I have a parachute from Sharp's dig, the rest resides in the 93rd BG Museum at Hardwick. I know I found the centre pedestal with trim tab wheel, B & L sunglasses case, instrument panel, Kollsman altimeter, binoculars (David Wade pestered me for those at 93rd museum, so I gave them also), there was part of the control wheel Paul Thrower had that at the 93rd too, but they were some of the most memorable items after almost 20 years! I did see the tyre from the B-24 still resides resplendent in climbing ivy in the village........most think it came off the base however the truth is a little different....

Ian, wasn't the Nazi Raider downed at Linstead Parva? Interestingly, Bob Collis gave a great slideshow on this & other German crashes in East Anglia at the dig after day one, we had a communal tent setup on the campsite for dining which became the theatre later that night. A great end to day one!

?

Sounds like a digging festival! Beer and camping as well? Linstead Parva is on the boundary of Metfield aerodrome, Bob did an excellent write up on it in the back of 'Blitz 3'. My girlfriend lived in Carlton Coleville, backing onto the Fortess site and Bob very kindly gave me directions to find a few pieces. Are there many B6 stick tops coming out of the dig? If anyone is up to exchange items I've got some unusual bits...

Well Ian, you saw all the stuff coming out, what did you have in mind to exchange?

?

PM sent!

Can I just echo the comments of some of the other contributors ... this is an incredible discovery ... asbsolutely jaw-dropping! Can I also add my name to the list of those who would happily volunteer to wield a shovel on any future excavations!! I've been searching airfields and crash sites in Suffolk since the early 1980s .... pictures of some of my finds have been posted on this forum ... but I've never found anybody else who shares my interests .... pleeeese can I come on the next dig .... ? Yes, I am begging! By the way, you mention that some of the items from this dig would be sold ... or exchanged .... I'd love a lenghth of .50 cal flexible feed .... I have a manufacturer's plate from the Dornier 17 of KG2 that crashed at Little Waldringfield .... just wondering what that might get me by way of exchange?

My prize winning Conker, some marbles & two BlackJacks?

I do have one three & a half foot length of Hughes flexi ammo tracking left in almost mint condition, but it is currently on hold for another forum member, however if it does become available I will be sure to let you know.

Here it is....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.  

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast