Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Article about: Would that be the gentleman from Lowestoft who was removed from Flixton. Pity, it was a very good museum, apart from the rotting relics left outside. Metfield had the Luftwaffe's last UK cas

Default Re: 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.

Thanks Bird Dog ... please keep me in mind just in case it does become available ... Of course you'll probably find more .... when you tackle the next 'bigger' dump .... gulp!? .... put more down for another length when it becomes available!

Did you find any propellor blades in this dump ... ?

By the way, do you know which group / individual dug the dump at Halesworth in the early 1980s?

have you found any relic weapons - Mg, rifles and tomsons? would love a better pic if you could post one!

Luke

pm sent to you birddog....

?

You should save that tracking for Christmas. It'll look a treat draped around the house.

You sent me a PM ?! If you did I don't have it...........yet.

Are you still interested in that last length of ammo tracking? It's OK if not just let me know.

Thanks!

BD

hey Bird Dog,
    just re sent pm, let me know you got it,
    for some reason it did not send yesterday??

Here is project #2

The Geophizz overlay clearly defines an old gravel/sand pit & I have added the previous site radar scan for context & to give an idea just how big this one really is!

It took three hours for two of us carrying the scanning kit to walk up & down with enough overlap to produce the image of what lies buried, we did remark that perhaps it's best to stick aircraft crash sites as they take 1/10 of the time to do!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig.  

Gremlin - No not at this time did we encounter any prop blades however there were some associated parts of the hubs.

Yes, I know who was delving in the 489th BG dump way back in the early 1980's.

?

That's a lot of digging! did you completely clear the other pit and how much of it had the oily, preserving sludge? some of the alloy looked very dry and corroded but the stainless looked, well, stainless. impressive stuff.

Yes, cleared the other site & returned the 'junky' stuff back in the hole for future generations who might not be as fussy! Some of the mag alloy just turns to Daz, not a metal that lends itself to long term preservation above or indeed below ground after 60+ years! Quite a lot of trench 1 was submerged under the oily mire whilst trench 2 was devoid of any water despite being only seperated by just a few metres. Yes, Stainless was as is name suggests however there were some items which had like a concretion fused to it which would only be removed by immersion in HCl.

I mentioned to BC we had made contact........

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast