Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.

Article about: by ian_ Just found the link here: Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - Former 8th AF bases dump site digs... That's a lot of stainless steel! That's the thread on last year's

Default Re: 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.

Site transport......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.  

These finds are awesome Bird Dog, you must own a private collection of relics better than many UK aero museums. I'll keep coming back to this thread to see what treasures you'll up load next.
    Keep up the good work.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

The finds heap Saturday afternoon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th AF Airfield Dump Dig - The Sequel.  

The trailer in the picture moved 7 full loads into storage, this gives somekind of perspective to the enormity of the finds recovered.

If anyone is interested there will be a DVD made from all the film shot at the event during the weekend, there were two camera teams working making separate productions, so I'm guessing in a few months there will be something available.

?

Looking more impressive with every post, and it started well! Thanks for the updates. Would be interested in a DVD. How many control wheels did you get out? The first looks in excellent condition, not like the chemically explosive mag alloy British ones.

Last count on control wheels was six, four B-17, one B-24 & one P-38, there may be more but that was all I saw in the brief moments I had off the dumper truck to see what was coming out of the hole.

Yes, in very good condition, I have considered fitting it to my Jeep as a replacement steering wheel, I know my current one is made by Sheller who also made aircraft control wheels.
    Last edited by Bird Dog; 10-20-2010 at 09:38 PM.

What are you going to do with all the parts you find?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

All the recogniseable & displayable part/items will be given to museums, although quite a large amount left at the weekend with various representatives of respective established museums & other parts are being used in current projects such as the Red Tails film, some cosmetic parts for Sally B, private restorations, turret rebuilds etc. The remaining unwanted parts will be scrapped, there is a great deal of mangled metal amongst the pile which is unidentifiable & of little use. I'm hoping we can recover a little money from the scrap as this dig was the most expensive so far & to give you some idea of the costs involved, just the diesel alone used on site for the two days was in excess of £300! The whole project runs into four figures & is a seriously expensive enterprise, 360 & 3CX diggers, transportation of the machines to & from the site, digger drivers, dumper truck, tractor & trailer, site loo, safety gear, food & drink to feed the team, consumables like gas to cook, petrol for generators & other general sundry items.

Nest comes the epic task of sorting the collosal pile of parts, now the winter weather is upon us I'm guessing there will be few who want to be burdened with this task working outside in the cold wind & rain ankle deep in mud dragging lumps of wreckage off the pile to decide if it's scrap or to be saved. Malcolm & I spent Saturday trying to make a dent in it by filling two trailers & to be perfectly honest you couldn't tell we'd spent 6 hours there sorting!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3