Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

8th Air Force airfield dog tag finds

Article about: you can try looking up the sn info in the enlisted man's serial number database at the US National Archives. I can't really read the info ont hem, but if you copy them all out for me verbati

jgawne
    ?

Default Re: 8th Air Force airfield dog tag finds

you can try looking up the sn info in the enlisted man's serial number database at the US National Archives.

I can't really read the info ont hem, but if you copy them all out for me verbatim I'll tell you what I find.

Looks like they are rimless? IS that correct or just the photograph?

Quote by jgawne View Post
    you can try looking up the sn info in the enlisted man's serial number database at the US National Archives.

I can't really read the info ont hem, but if you copy them all out for me verbatim I'll tell you what I find.

Looks like they are rimless? IS that correct or just the photograph?
    Most of the WWII data and records burned in the St. Louis fire back in the 70's. I was told all my Dad's USAAC data was ashes as was my Father in Law (2nd Armored Medic), 2 uncles (601st Tank Destroyers and 606th Tank Destroyers), the others (6 total on both sides) were either Defense Planty workers (Martin Aviation in Baltimore, Higgins in Bayou Lebatrie and New Orleans, Detroit building DUKW's and Mom in Law at the US Army Depot in Brooklyn, NY) or working for Pennsylvania Railroad (3 brothers ) or US Govt (Medical service in Army/Navy hospitals). My family and Wife's family had a total of 27 members either in service or working on the home front.

The only service records I found of any family member was Uncle Al who was US Merchant Marine on the North Cape and Murmansk runs (took torpedoes on 2 convoys and made it to Murmansk both times. Kings Point, NY has a lot of the Records for Coast Guard and Fort Schyler in the Bronx has Mercant Marine records.

jgawne
    ?

about 80% of them burned in 1973. Although if you check the serial number database you can often find out where the guy was from, and that can lead to stuff in local papers, a copy of the discharge in the local courthouse, etc. etc. Its a whole art to tracking down vet info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2