Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

8th Air Force relics

Article about: Inspired by some of the posts by members of this site ... I've decided its time to post a few pictures of the finds that I've made over the past few years ... The pictures below show some of

Default 8th Air Force relics

Inspired by some of the posts by members of this site ... I've decided its time to post a few pictures of the finds that I've made over the past few years ...

The pictures below show some of the items I've recovered from airfields & crash sites. Favourite items include the G-1 oxygen cylinder with original yellow paint and stencilling and the .50 cal wooden shipping crate that I 'liberated' from a barn in the early 1980s (when it was still possible to find such things!).

Amongst the selection of airfield bits & pieces you will see a rather nice silver half dollar and a sterling silver lieutenant's bar made by Firmin of London. There is also a .50 cal cartridge cut down and made into a lighter ...

I've also included some pics of some instrument faces from the crash site of one of the 34th Bomb Group B-24s that was shot down on the 7th June ... one of the few American aircraft destroyed by German night fighters over the UK. Picture are an oil pressure, gauge, rate of climb indicator, an RPM gauge and whats left of an airspeed indicator ...

Another site I've been visiting a lot is the site of a P-51 / P-47 collision. I've got lots of items from this incident ... including most of the canopy bar from the Mustang .... The pictures here show parts of both rudder pedals ... bearing fragments of the wording 'Depress to park'. Also included is a picture of what I regard to be an incredible find ... a fragment of the top of the control panel from the Mustang ... with the radio call plate still attached ....

All the best,
    Gremlin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th Air Force relics   8th Air Force relics  

8th Air Force relics   8th Air Force relics  

8th Air Force relics   8th Air Force relics  

Default Re: 8th Air Force relics

Cracking finds mate!! Well done!!

I found a similar looking .50 cal shell at my local USAAF base! I want a lighter to fit it!

Nice finds ! I love the ammo crate.....it's a beauty !

As for the remains of the after shave container....you're not fooling ANYONE ! We all know it was yours and you included it in the shot so we wouldn't think Old Spice is your fragrance of choice.

Steve T

Dear Steve & Woody UK

Thanks for the comments ... you certainly figured out my cunning ruse regarding the Old Spice bottle ... at least its not Pagan Man!!

This is a picture of the P-51 canopy bar .... still bearing the original sky blue paint work indicating the 361st Fighter Squadron of the 356th Fighter Group ....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th Air Force relics  

Very nice finds Gremlin,what is the actual radio call
    sign number?...I cannot make it out.
    The canopy frame is superb..
    Regards Mike

Dear Mike,

The radio call number is 415-073 - and the aircraft itself was 44-15073 ("The Brunette Bunny") flown by Lt. Slanker of the 356th Fighter Group. A photo of the aircraft (showing the canopy bar) & a brief history can be found at 8th Air Force Fighter Group - Littlefriends.co.uk

I'll post some more relics from this incident when I get a chance.