Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

airfield packing cases....

Article about: retrieved the bomb and fuze packing cases a few years ago from our farm which my grandfather retrieved from the base.... the other packing cases were nailed togeather to make shelves which u

Default airfield packing cases....

airfield  packing cases....airfield  packing cases....airfield  packing cases....airfield  packing cases....airfield  packing cases....airfield  packing cases....retrieved the bomb and fuze packing cases a few years ago from our farm which my grandfather retrieved from the base.... the other packing cases were nailed togeather to make shelves which until recently were in a barn, when i pulled them apart this is what i found..... BACON SENT IN FROM THE STATES!! been wood worm treating them today so thought id take a pic of the ones id treated so far..

Default Re: airfield packing cases....

Cool boxed they look really good for there age

john

Hi Gibba,

In the third picture down ... just out of the picture to the left ... is that an arming wire assembly box? If it is its a pretty rare item!

Gremlin

?

Somebody mention arming wire crates?

airfield  packing cases....

The item on the right in photo 3 is the end of the frag cluster crate.

All the best,
    PB

Arming wire crate or frag cluster crate ... I'd still sell my soul to beelzebub to find one!

Thanks for the correct identification Paul.

Gremlin

?

I've been playing with the lighting on my arming wire crate today, and have managed to locate the Ammunition Identification Code (AIC) on the front and back of the box, S3FHB, arming wires being in SNL Group S (Bombs, Grenades and Pyrotechnics), Section 3 (Fin assemblies and miscellaneous inert components for aircraft bombs). The final three letters indicate the type of content and packaging method.

Gibba's two M126A1 nose fuze crates are same two patterns I have here, hinged lid type on top and clipped lid type below, these two patterns seem to have been in production concurrently and are probably manufacturer's variations.
    Both patterns have the same AIC, S2NLA, which places them in Group S, Section 2 (Fuzes and miscellaneous explosive components for aircraft bombs).

Live bombs themselves were SNL Group S, Section 1 (Bombs, aircraft, all types). Thus Gibba's crate for two 23lb M72 parachute-retarded fragmentation bombs has the AIC S1FKA.

Note the AIC is unique to the manner of packaging, not the item inside.

As an example, to assemble and fuze a AN-M57 250lb GP bomb for use you would receive from the bomb dump:
    S2NRA: 25 Fuzes, Bomb, Nose, AN-M103A1 in metal tubes in wooden crate
    S2QNA: 25 Fuzes, Bomb, Tail, AN-M100A1 in metal tubes in wooden crate
    S3JWA: Fin Assembly, 250lb size, AN-M106A1 with/without accessories, in metal crate

All the best,
    PB
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-06-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Great research there Paul, very interesting indeed. Lovely arming crate too.
    I have a few more crates that i retrieved from the airfield to dig out and treat with the woodworm killer, i think there is a machine gun crate or rifle crate there too. maybe you can take a look and give me your opinion...
    I also have some the metal fin crates you talk of.... i no where there is a few more, all be it they are all welded together to make shelves!!!

P.S havnt had the chance to measure that bomb end i ploughed up yet but will do tomorrow so will post up dimensions on the ploughed up thread if thats still ok.

regards

?

Cheers,

Any period crates are always interesting.

Will dig out my bomb dimensions manual ready for you.

All the best,
    PB

Here are those other crates that im thinking may have been for weapons that i retrieved from the airfield many many years ago as a kid....
    the dimensions are 52 1/2 inches long by 8 inches square with open ends to get whatever was in, out! markings are M118 I with a date of 44...
    sorry about poor pics, il get more in daylight if needed?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture airfield  packing cases....   airfield  packing cases....  

airfield  packing cases....   airfield  packing cases....  

airfield  packing cases....   airfield  packing cases....  

airfield  packing cases....  

?

Interesting...

Those are British ordnance crates: M118 MkI.

Unfortunately I don't have the RAOC book that lists the M series I'm afraid, but I have a feeling they cover Mines and Rockets.

All the best,
    PB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast