MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

airfield packing cases....

Article about: retrieved the bomb and fuze packing cases a few years ago from our farm which my grandfather retrieved from the base.... the other packing cases were nailed togeather to make shelves which u

Default Re: airfield packing cases....

Many thanks for the id of these Paul,
    yeah strange these were on the usaaf base?? maybe dumped there in later years.....

?

Many former USAAF bases were used by the RAF to store surplus ordnance after WWII, so it's a possibility that's how they got there.

All the best,
    PB

?

Quote by gibba1008 View Post
    I also have some the metal fin crates you talk of.... i no where there is a few more, all be it they are all welded together to make shelves!!!
    Missed this...Photos and measurements of these always welcome.
    I've got a period photo of these welded together as shelving somewhere, ah, here it is.
    Photo taken at Raydon:

airfield  packing cases.....

All the best,
    PB

?

Gibba, if you still have the crate handy could you let me know the S1xxx code for the AN/M1A1 100lb frag cluster please?

All the best,
    PB

Hi Paul, been out in the shed looking for this s1 code but cant find it anywhere, if the numbers/letters are to be found at one end then unfortunatly these are no longer visible, a little yellow paint can be seen in places but nothing readable. Please let me know where its located and educate me what it is and il have another look for you mate...

The picture you posted of the crates is identicle to the shelving mine came from, unfortunatly the chap died and altho i asked hid grandson for them he has since scrapped the lot including the rear wheel from a mustang that the ol boy always promised me..

?

Ta mate,

In this photo of yours the AIC code appears to be in the top right corner of both crates, with the shipping sizes and weight in the lower left corner.

I have a feeling the AIC for the frag cluster is S1ZVL but I'm not certain.
    The AIC is usually printed in two or three places on any given crate, typicaly on one side, end and the lid, so it can be read when stacked.

Shame about the fin-crate shelving and Mustang wheel.

PB

Hi Paul, sorry i have been away from the computer for some time, (bloody broadband issues)i will go out shortly and get those codes for you!!

Yes mate you are correct. S1ZVL.

?

Many thanks for that mate.
    I'll add it to my working list over on the USAAF forum.

I have a few more of these in the depths of my shed, they have black stenciling instead of the yellow, i could take a look at these tomorrow, if thats of any interest PB ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast