Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

all what,s left after the battle or what we did last summer

Article about: If the families can be traced via the records available at the Volksbund or the Russian war graves they will be invited to attend the reburial services , these guys will recieve a full Milit

Default Re: all what,s left after the battle or what we did last summer

As much as your work may be a little depressing at times you should certainly feel good about what it is you and your friends are doing for the lost dead.
    Thank you for taking the time to post all the pictures.

I do have one question and that is how do you know were to look for these graves? Do you go by old battle fields and use metal detectors?
    Seems like there is much before hand preparation to be done as well as after.

Rudy

?

Quote by qotd View Post
    If a body is identiied, and the family is found, are any if the items recovered from the body given to the fsmily. I only ask as i believe they may have found my great uncle in russia, and was cuious if any personsl items, awards, equipment was offered to the family
    If the remains are identified via the various war graves organisations and again if family can be traced it could be possible for personal items to be returned to the families but that depends on the work of the War graves , Volksbund etc , it is not uncommon for the Volksbund to tell diggers the date of death etc of the soldiers but not even give out info as to their names !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Wow! I'm speechless!

Excellent work mate. Every soldier deserves a decent burial, and your work ensure that those who you find, will get just that.

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    If the remains are identified via the various war graves organisations and again if family can be traced it could be possible for personal items to be returned to the families but that depends on the work of the War graves , Volksbund etc , it is not uncommon for the Volksbund to tell diggers the date of death etc of the soldiers but not even give out info as to their names !!

Thanks for the advice, i went thru a group on germany, thinkit was the vulksbund or WAast....they advised me that his field grave had benn identified at a former field hospital site near porchov, but his remains had not been transfered to a central graveyard

ostlanddigger,

Many thanks to you for bringing us these images. I, like some other members can only hope that if and when our relatives remains are finaly recovered, it will be by someone with the same honest approach as yourself and your team. It's a good thing we see on this forum from many of you across the world to be carrying out this work and certainly brings some hope to me and I'm sure to others.

WELL DONE!

Paul E - Thanks also for the int.
    Martyn.

Wernher
    ?

I want that ring

Great and important work you guys are going. Combatants from both sides deserve a proper and fitting resting place. I take my hat off to you - well done and keep up the fantastic work

- - Updated - -

Quote by Wernher View Post
    I want that ring
    bit inappropriate don't you think given the images that have been posted

do you believe that other rings are not the same???they arrive in shops and nobody knows the truth

forestgump97
    ?

hello,
    great and excellent job...respect for this hard working...
    R.I.P for this soldier fallen....
    friendly from belgium
    diekameraden....

Quote by herrzark View Post
    do you believe that other rings are not the same???they arrive in shops and nobody knows the truth
    I agree - that's one of the reasons why I don't buy them (the other being most are fake)! anyway, my point was this is a thread with somber and thought provoking images and the comment seemed unnecessary - that's all....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast