Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

American Airbase Finds (new)

Article about: Hey guys, Right, I think I've finally found a good location for metal detecting on the old US Airbase! My previous visits have been rather disapointing, but I think I'm looking in the right

Default American Airbase Finds (new)

Hey guys,

Right, I think I've finally found a good location for metal detecting on the old US Airbase! My previous visits have been rather disapointing, but I think I'm looking in the right place now!

Here's my finds from last nights visit.

The bullet dated 1942 has got me a little stumped! As has the rounded shell/head thingy! Any help on these would be appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American Airbase Finds (new)   American Airbase Finds (new)  

American Airbase Finds (new)   American Airbase Finds (new)  

Default Re: American Airbase Finds (new)

Hi Woody,

The grooved,primer cap-less .303 round is a "Drill round" and, as such was inert.

Nice Kings crown cap badge and what looks like a spurious buckle off some kind of kit.

The cap thingy is intriguing, is it slightly threaded? as for the cap off a hip flask rather than something with an engineering type thread.... if you see what i mean!!!

Keep it up 'Timber', your getting there mate!!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

HURRAH !!!!

You've found some relics !! I knew you would eventually !

Lovely RAF cap badge. Keep it like that now......don't polish it or clean it any more.

The.303 is indeed, as BN pointed out, a drill round. Have a look here....

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/stephen.jo...arms/ball3.jpg

What headstamps are on the .30cals ? Are they WW2 dated as well ? One of them looks like TW 52 (Twin Cities 1952).

The buckle is from standard kit and is the bit that holds the loose end of a 'belt' in place. You can see it on the strap here.....

http://store.colemans.com/cart/images/3706.gif

or here..... (slightly different)

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/ima...BelAFcanBP.jpg

The cap thingy looks like a fancy cap off a hip flask as BN says.

What's the other stuff you didn't do close ups of? Anything we can help with ?

Congrats !!!!

Steve T

Cheers Steve.... I got there in the end eh!

The bits are;

A padlock with the locking hoop missing, but the key is still in the lock!

An eyelet off a bag or coat

A long rusty rod, with a stainless steel bolt on the end (no idea what that is)

The large rectangular thing is a lock off a door! Haha! When I dug it up it was covered in crap! I thought it was a mag!

Obviously these bits have been tossed into the junk bag!

Delighted with the cap badge though!

Another trip there on Thursday is on the cards, so hopefully I'll have sone more then!

Great finds! I love ground dug items, as they have so much character to them. I am very glad your endeavour proved worth while.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hello again,

I went back this morning for an hour or so, and found a few more bits.

I'd love to know what the large shell is from! (pictured next to the broken .303 casing) I thought it might have been from a shotgun, but it looks a little small.

Also the tube thing stamped 'Fortis' I thought it looked the end of a Sten, but not too sure!

And last, but not least is this little brass statue! It looks like an old British bobby to me. It also has 'Llandudno Wales' rather crudely etched into the base. Could this have been an airmans souvenier? He's an ugly little thing anyway!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American Airbase Finds (new)   American Airbase Finds (new)  

OH MAN !!! I love that statue !!!! Looks like a fireman Don't know if it is WW2 but it's GREAT !

The cartridge you have is a chopped through .50cal. I find loads like that. The airmen were making 'trench art' with them most likely.

And as for the Fortis thingy.....is that the 303 in the end or did you find it like that ?

Steve T

PS I'll be posting up my Gunnery Range finds from Saturday late tonite.....look out for the post !

Hello mate,

Yeah, I reckon the statue is probably post war, but I think it's a cracking little peice!

Oh, the .303 shouldn't of been in that Fortis thing... I was just fiddling about wondering if the Fortis thingy was off a firearm, but I posted the wrong pic!

Looking forward to your pics mate!

one thing I see a lot in this forum when it comes to the mysterious "half 50 cal shell casings" ...."it must be the trench art".....well that's great but I work with a 50 cal every day and I have a shell extractor that I use when I get a bad jam and when I pull the shell casing out its usually cut completely in half perfectly just like I see here.....I usually just toss it off in a pi$$ed off manner ha ha ha
    and when you have allot of 50 cals around there is going to be allot of half casings
    just thought I would give my two cents

I think that Fortis thingy could be from a flare or something, I dont actually know, it just re-minds me of the current issue hand flares that come in the little green rubber case.

Nice finds though

Danny