Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian AIF ( or British ) regimental button ~

Article about: Hey !! I think I found exactly what they are ! Purely by accident ~ Lee Enfield SMLE Cleaning Kit | eBay I was browsing to find 303 ammo clips to "tidy up" the live rounds I have b

Default Australian AIF ( or British ) regimental button ~

I found this button several months ago while MDing.

I found it in a WWII training and lay over site in far North Queensland Australia, which was a huge camp site area from 1942 > 1946 ~

It has ~ a Lion on the left and looks like a Unicorn on the right.

They are holding a shield over topped by a crown.

The shield is divided into four sections ~ the condition is not good enough to allow description on any other details ~

?

Default Re: Australian AIF ( or British ) regimental button ~

I looks like a British Army General Service Button. Presumably the Australian forces in World War 2 wore them too?

got a shot of the rear? post ya pics here hey!

got a shot of the rear?
    No, mate ~ the button is a fascia plate only and looks like it has separated from the backing plate through some sort of impact ~ which would explain why it was lost (?)

Yes its a British General Service button.I think they were introduced in 1871 when individual regiment buttons became confined to NCOs and officers. There was a crown change on them in 1901 when the monarch changed from a Queen to a King and I believe they stayed in use to around c1950 from memory.

Used by all the commonwealth armies to a more or lesser degree were made both in the UK and Canada, Australia etc and affixed to unoforms issued there. Appears to be a Kings Crown so fits perfectly with your site date.

Steve

Thanks Blokes

I am impressed with your wide knowledge skills ~ I am perhaps little surprised though as Ms M and I searched high and wide via the Net with no success~ in as much as it is a general service button, would have thought it is an easy find ~

Would like to see if I can get a good image of the Puppy !

Thanks ~

AIF
    ?

Australian's didn't wear British buttons during WW2 so definitely not Australian... But it could be that it was picked up early in the war in the desert as a souvenir by a digger and was possibly on a souvenir belt or something similar and was lost. But saying that it is in terrible condition compared to the other stuff you guys dig up, was it from damp soil? Another possibility is that given it's condition maybe it is a lot earlier than WW2 vintage, like pre federation? As we most probably wore those at one time ...Just a wild guess though. What is it made out of do you know?

I think it is made of brass as per the reference extension I found ~

The links I did Google made no reference other than these were a progressive development from 1871 - 1950 as Steve suggested.

And yes it was in fact generally under ( dam) waters for the past 40-50 years periodically/ seasonally ~

I guess many of the artifacts I have found ~ IF only they could talk ~

The button

The Japanese Helmet Star ~ ( I mean WOww!! How far has this travelled knowing that the Japanese troops that went into New Guinea were a crack unit/s that had already served in China ~ to be seriously bloodied by the Australians~ )

The 1917 UK Bare Head Penny

Even the wooden beer Keg Bung, what stories they would hold ~ LOL

But another item that keeps reappearing is the following ' (??)

I thought was a pin associated with the Duffle bag lock ~ but does not make sense to be a mere securing pin~ as they are perfectly flat and parallel, not tapered ~

They are generally brass and the last one I found in a hole was identical but it is wood! ???

AIF
    ?

Yeah mate it is amazing the shit the soldiers picked up and dropped/lost during their travels as you know the Aussies were keen souvenir hunters and collected all sorts of stuff... Make sure you keep us updated on your finds it will be interesting to see what else you uncover.

Sorry I can't help you on the middle item I have no idea what that could be for...? It is not something I have seen before, does the end come off or does it look like it should?
    The bottom item I can help with though... You may or may not know what it is but just in case you don't it is a hook from the back of a pattern 37 basic (ammo) pouch which attaches the pouch to the belt.

How many of those kitbag handles have you found now?

Well I have only found one Duffle bag lock but I have lost count of the webbing, ammo pouch clips and buckles ~

I have given up bring the webbing end seal clips home and leave them for someone else to find..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast