MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

An update from our expert on "team" ~

.223 blank from Colt AR15 rifle.

1 x .303 blank WWII.

TZ on .223 is an Israeli stamp and 67 is year used by 51 Batt training on Tablelands.

Black plastic cases are 7.62 and were used by 51 Batt training during 70s and 80s.

Good finds.
    Bill.

?

Hey mate,awesome finds you got there,blanks look to be 5.56mm using the .303 as a scale,its great that not only are you preserving WW2 relics here but also cleaning out the water of unwanted lead..good stuff! Are you on private land or are the horses wild?

Sean

The Brumbies are on "Public acess" ground ~ they are the real deal ~ Ozzie Wild - Brumbies ~

Another day in the trenches as it were ~

We have been experiencing first of the 2013 / 2014 Wet season ~ So I headed out despite the obvious threat of isolated thunder storms ~

I decided to visit the regular site ~ despite the copious rains we have had the last week I figure that there has not been enough rain to make any significant difference to the water levels ~ In fact I was anticipating that the water levels may have even continued to drop ~

I was right ~ but only in as much as the water level was merely centimetres lower making little difference ~ The only real difference was that the water was notably cleaner and clearer !

So rather than go to plan B I decided to forge on and give the area run. But it was a very quiet sweep ~

But I did find several intriguing scores ~ (the lure of this site is that it also contains an obvious workshop as seen by many scores previously ~

Twenty/ 22 mm rimless cartridge ~ (Any help appreciated)

The tally was small but there is more ~

The bottom is very insidious with black odious residue/ deposits which IMO warrant rubber boots as the bottom is also very heavy going ~ But the finds are generally in amazing condition preserved for the past <70> years ~

This 303 blank is in amazing condition ~

But then as I was heading back I checked some of the higher dry shore lineand found this intriguing item !

I know what it looks like ~ Assistance / advice required ~

Steel~ again preserved in this black soil ~ Box construction ~

Any advice appreciated on the items ~

?

Hey mate,looks like a wheel chock and a guess near a workshop makes sense...blanks are in great condition,is the four pronged item in the second picture a mountain boot treadplate?

is the four pronged item in the second picture a mountain boot treadplate?
    Yes Sean it is.. I actually found what I reckon was the boot makers tent, some six months ago ~ not far away ~ and there were heaps of the same boot tacks ~

?

I finally have a roughtimate of where the air gunnery and mortar/arty range in WW2 kal is,bought myself a cheap old minelab and will get my irish mate to show me how to drive it next weekend

looks like a wheel chock

Agreed ~ but more like an aircraft chock though ~ eh ??

With that in mind ~ I may just have to retrieve it from that hole ! LOL

Well worth cleaning up !

Quote by Torch View Post
    Hey mate,awesome finds you got there,blanks look to be 5.56mm using the .303 as a scale,its great that not only are you preserving WW2 relics here but also cleaning out the water of unwanted lead..good stuff! Are you on private land or are the horses wild?
    5.56mm is pretty much .223 as identified by sweep, its just some small tolerance differences.

The LC 42 round looks a .30 M2 produced by Lake City ordnance plant.

The .303 blanks could well be Ballisite rounds, what are the head stamps and have you found any grenade fragments in the area?

Page 16 of 132 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 66 116 ... LastLast