Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 33 of 132 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Number #25 Rising Sun rejuvenated ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Saturday I did a local run to the Show or carnival grounds.

This is very close to home but the history of the area states that there were Aust military forces stationed here during WWII with extensive workshops. And further upstream of the small river were supposedly US camp sites. But these are or were on what is now Indigenous sacred ground. So that is definitely out of the criteria !

MALANDA, QLD, 1943-07-30. KIT INSPECTION AND GENERAL PARADE OF THE 2 2ND AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY TROOP WORKSHOP AT THE SHOW GROUNDS.

I know there is a local bloke that chases coins after every show ground event but I figured I would focus on the rear areas where the work shops were and considering the occasional floods that sweep through ~ just maybe there would something US forces.

I spent a pleasant several hours and found nothing but Alco cans, pull rings and detritus. So I called it a day !

But I did find something I had not seen previously ~ two crossing pillars of the railway which I did not even realise existed! ( The railway closed in < 1963> .

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 06-30-2014 at 02:46 AM.

Sunday ~ I decided to do another run on two camp sites ~ in bush country ~

I had visited the area previously and in fact found my first hand grenade in the area ~ But there is listed two AIF camp sites and I had not checked the sites completely ~

I knew there was a huge WWII rubbish dump in the middle of the two supposed sites ~ So I set off ~ Perfect day ~ After so much rain and wind !

A webbing buckle straight up vied well for the day !

A bizarre tree.. the trunk has snapped ~ maybe in one of our cyclones.. but having not separated, it has continued to grow in a deformed state ~

Found little but an occasional spill of spent 303 & 8 mm (Owen gun) shells ~

The trash heap

The top layer are dated as 1945 ~ and as deep as I dug .. more trash ~

A humble day but a great day out ~ apart from a tick mere millimetres from the crown jewels ~

The rectangle brass piece sent a fantastic signal !
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-05-2014 at 02:43 AM.

Actually had a Hunt proposition put forward to me this last week ~

And three of us actually entertained the idea up to a point ~ The site was a Catalina RAAF ( and maybe USAF ) base very close to Cairns, a mere 80 kms from home `

Our most senior member if our team even recalls the pontoons as a young bloke when his Dad used to take them bream fishing in the area.

But since then time and tide ~ and storm seasons has seen the pontoons either washed away or sunk, But the location is still fresh in "Terry's mind~!

This was in the all initial stages as we do have a boat ~ until some one said ~ "Hey is it worth a few potential relics ~ to dodge the Sand flies, the Mosquitoes, the mangroves and worse still real potential Salt water crocodiles!?"

Sand flies BTW absolutely 'slaughter ' me ~ and I have experienced tropical mangrove mozzies ~ Cruel~

At least the members of the unit would have simply shot every croc they saw as the salt water crocidles were not protected species until the 1970s!

1944-08-16. VX72103 GUNNER D.N. BENTLEY, E TROOP, 22ND BATTERY, 106TH TANK ATTACK REGIMENT, USING A BOYES 5" TANK ATTACK RIFLE TO SHOOT CROCODILES IN A SWAMP NEAR THE UNIT CAMP.

But with sand flies and mozzies in mass the crew MUST have preyed to simply be out there on missions !

Cairns Qld 1944 01 12 RAAF Consolidated PBY Catalina flying boat, coded RB U Black Cat taxies out along the water before a long range mission

Cairns Qld 1944 09 28. Departure preparations on Martin PBM Mariner flying boat of No 41 Transport Sea) Squadron RAAF at its moorings.

CAIRNS QLD. 1943 09 08. REINFORCEMENTS ABOARD SHIP WATCHING A CATALINA AIRCRAFT WARMING UP FOR A TAKE OFF.

NEA0593 Cairns Qld 1944 09 27 Martin PBM Mariner flying boat aircraft of No 41 (Transport Sea) Squadron RAAF at its moorings.

Cairns Qld 1944 0112 The bowman of a RAAF Consolidated PBY Catalina flying boat takes aboard a tow line so the flying boat can move to another mooring buoy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 07-05-2014 at 11:04 AM.

I like the Boyes .55" rifle, it's a Canadian Inglis gun rather than a BSA. I bet it made a real mess of a Croc, there tough, but I don't think there that tough!

Did a afternoon recce this afternoon Sunday ~

Started out slow ~ as the first attempt fell short and I was cut off from my target area by deep ravines and water ~

So I reassessed the area Google map and found an access past the various properties blocking access ~

Local wildlife on guard !

And yes I swept the gutters but nothing!

Once I reached the designated area it was not long before I had my first find ~ and this was quickly followed by a second Mills grenade base screw.

Additionally I found a lot of bullet heads and aluminium containers which I believe were ammo containers ~

After an hour plus I decided to move camp~ to one of my glory holes which always delivers something.

And sure enough it did just that even if only in minimal numbers

A 1940 three pence

Then a Trench art piece ~ a shield or plaque,but obviously incomplete ~

But as time moved and I was intercepted by several locals ~

I finally had another first on my part ~

A tad knocked around but the rear end is in nice shape -

But definitely returning to this well worked area !~ hoping that just maybe there are few more ~ intact , even better shell cases ~

But well pleased with a slow day ~

A moderate bit of cleaning revealed stencilled writing ~

The shell case reads ~ E Batch :- 1294

The base ; 2 PDR No 2 13 (Arrow vertical) LOT 24

The Primer : AK-42 B12 NF 5-42Q

As suggested a rare and EXCEPTIONAL find IN THESE Parts ~ ~ They are simply not found in any sort of reasonable condition here ~ IF AT ALL ~ simple as that !

I reckon at some point ~maybe in the <1970s> the area was cleared for development and I reckon that a bulldozer has run over the case as it was not very deep at all ~ maybe 75 mm ~

I have also found numerous Primer flash tubes which were fitted to the base of these shells ~

The BIG question~ Are there any more !?

I ran out of time and had to run ~ So I am hoping to do a second sweep tomorrow ~ Fingers Crossed blokes
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 01-26-2018 at 07:41 AM.

A little enlightening for those who have no idea about Far North Queensland~

( Many of the items feature recent News events.. and even cyclonic events ~ )

44 Things You Only Know If You

__________________________________________________ ________________

BTW ~ Finally got back to the Shell case site ~ and worked the site hard for several hours in perfect weather conditions ~

But sadly no more shell cases ~ closest ~ literally was an aluminium Coke can less than a metre away ~ Grrr!!!

I only found a small webbing buckle and a 1944 Penny ~ again in a nearby area which I have flogged for over 12 months as an easy access site ~ just goes to show !

It was a Perfect day earlier this morning ~ Now going to rain real fast so got in earlier ~

Spent about 3-3 1/2 hours on site . My downer was when my camera died ~

Well ~ I am now heading for the BIG 30 ~ Not sure if the Garrett is tuned to them or I am just plain lucky !

Found #28 Rising Sun today ~ Beaut condition too

A nice mix of bits but I never even noticed that two of the rounds in fact are Webbly .38 ~ note rimmed cartridges~

The goggles piece I assume is part of a Dispatch riders goggle (?)

And several Primer flash tubes ~
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery   Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery   Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

Page 33 of 132 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 83 ... LastLast