Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 35 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 85 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Bheers Bobby

Intriguing observation there ~ I was a little perplexed about the .22 configuration compared to my find. But in fact I was merely referencing the shell profile ~ and that proved my case , I think !

Wednesday ~

Another mid week Hunt with Ed ~

We decided to detour to check out more burn back areas near Tinaroo dam before heading bush once again ~

And this is what we ran into ~ as it were ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

This area is a known UXO site and was a huge target area for artillery, Mortar fire and even aircraft simulated attacks in the WWII years ~

Obviously they have done a walk through after the fires and found more UXO ~

Anyway we headed off to our target area in the bush some distance away ~

Once we set up temp camp we rigged up and announced our individual battle plan and headed out ~

I got stuck less than 10 metres from the camp as I struck a detritus hole. I was stuck thre for an HOUR !!

I dug all sorts from a gaggle of .50 cal projectiles to webbing buckles to coinage `

Eventually I moved on and soon came back as we radioed to agree on Smoko ~ And on the way back ~ a lowly 82 on the ATP ~

I was not expecting another Rising Sun though~ The hat badges usually ring up around 90-95 !

( Moderately cleaned up as I decided not to do any more at risj of losing the pin/s )

So after a cuppa and bite to eat we headed off again but this time realising that we would eventually meet up from different directions ~

Once again I ~ we both endeavoured to search dense under growth in search of further encampments sites ~

FIRST I found another ^%% fuel bung ~ and an ID tag ~ most likely used on a personal kit bag~ I also found a AMF tunic button and more coins ~

Then once again I was forced out of a target area by the presence of carrion !

And sure enough Ed and I met up and isochronally right on a tent site ! The relics, coins and bits kept us busy for around 1 1/2 hours in the one area !

So eventually as we all know the clock whizzs around and we headed back to base camp around 15.30 hrs.

Ed's lot ~ rubbish not included ~ His old Chev or Dodge staff car hub cap not included here ~ He dug to China to find it too ~

Mine at the end of the day ~

A Mystery item ~ IMO ~ Something to do with either eye testing or colour blindness tests as it has Red and Green action ~

A Mystery bullet case.. this is rimless ~ and we think it may in fact be a German shell case. A Mauser ~ Which means one more German military relic.. while it is merely a bullet case it remains to be a relic a Digger has bought back from the European / African campaign/s!

Mystery case has a very Mauser looking firing pin indent,is it a 7.92 x 57?
    Thanks for the input Sean

A bewt Sixpence ! 1921 ~ Wel travelled and well worn for sure ~

Additionally I found a King George V 1/2 penny and a 1944 Penny plus a very lonely and sad 5 cent coin !

The identity tag I simply added NX and it came up as ~

So I enter; NX 146574

Service Record

Name KENDRICK, NEVILLE PALMERSTON

Service Australian Army

Service Number NX146574 (N261454)

Date of Birth 13 Jan 1915

Place of Birth SYDNEY, NSW

Date of Enlistment 9 Feb 1943

Locality on Enlistment CANTERBURY, NSW

Place of Enlistment SYDNEY, NSW

Next of Kin FOSS, W

Date of Discharge 17 Jan 1946

Rank Gunner

Posting at Discharge DARWIN COAST ARTILLERY

WW2 Honours and Gallantry None for display

Prisoner of War No

I traced him through the Trove web site and the only mention in the Sydney Morning Herald ~ was in 1952 ~ He and his wife lost a 1 year son ~

I have not found any other details of him since ~

( I am also planning on retrieving ALL the tent rings from now on as they are brass! The centre piece is a battered spoon ! )

But overall a great days hunt and again much more to come from this site too ~

Can you clean the base of the case and post photo's? it may be a British 7.92mm round used in the BESA as fitted to many Tanks or possibly a very slim chance it came from a 7.92mm Bren.

- - ------- - -

Cheers M3

It has a "symbol" (?) 2 and "symbol" (?) 4 !

Yur theory would make complete sense as there was several (anti) tank units and a tank unit in the immediate area !

The head stamp is alittle difficult to read ~

But equally intriguing is the range of fifty cal projectiles I dug up ~ here are several of them ~ all different ~ and then an another unusual round all so in te total mix ~

Any thoughts welcome ~

?

Love this thread

Thanks Slade, for your feed back . Always nice to know my efforts are appreciated ~

Best stay tuned as we have gained access to a USA forces site ~ and we are expecting BIG things from this one too~

Now I have another relic ~ I found this a few weeks back ~

Here is another one for the argument .. never throw anything out !

I had NO idea what this was but looked like it had been cut with bolt cutter ! I sometimes simply paddle through Militaria section of EBay ~

And Bang!!

This is a "Enfield clip" ~ named after the Naval officer that invented it in the 19th century ~

It is used as a quick fit device for attaching flags to the rope associated with a flag pole!!

This is a great thread, you come up with some terrific finds!

Cheers Sand groper

We are hoping there is a whole lot more to come ~ Plus we are always "working' on even more sites ~

Pretty amazing really considering that Australia was a Spring board and saw no more confrontational action than at Darwin and Broome ~

This morning I was invited to a farm site / property this morning for an assessment ~

It had a now defunct public access road and a bridge which is now no more ~ The theory was that the Army had actually camped there in JULY 2014 ~

Yes ~ last month ~ when the military conducted a major exercise incorporating Australian , NZ and USA forces in one of the largest exercises of recent times on the Tablelands and Townsville !

I found NOTHING ~ ( but detritus !)

Firstly in view of any military occupation ~ or any logical reason why the Army would even be there ~

All I found was very early period aluminium beer cans ~ and pull rings ~ Obviously the site when an active road and bridge access was a popular camp and party site back in the 1970/80s ~ being some 5 km from Atherton ~

Apparently ~ The brass mystery object is an attachment for a torch to allow night vision option such as map reading .. but the green (??)

Could this be a signalling device too ?

Bobby

Here is a shot of the mystery shell case.

The year is definitely 42 .

The diameter is 11.82 mm

Cannot make out the opposing number ~ So look like a mystery?

Page 35 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 85 ... LastLast