Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 40 of 132 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 90 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

?

Nice haul there
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Well~

Put in some intriguing Hunts ~ the last week ~ started last Friday ~ after work and a couple of hours Nanno nap I headed out to check out some new ground which had been kindly slashed !!

I even encountered several of the company workers who were trotting around on a Quad Husky picking up rubbish and heavy logs~

I first thought I was going to get hunted but hey were more interested in my scores ~ and the history I knew of the immediate area ~

Ed was able to join me later on and we made some good scores ~

I was hoping to go out on another Hunt Saturday but that folded and the offer for Sunday morning did not pan out for me ~

(Actually the Hunt offer Sunday was good thing it did not work for me as BOTH pairs of my boots literally fell apart ~ )

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Note Place of Birth ~ intriguing !

Relics treated ~ Nice result ~

A workplace colleague, one of the Electricians made an intriguing comment about the ID Tag and the fact that he was born in Russia ~ As Lindsay suggested that just maybe his family changed their name after fleeing Russia around the time of Russian Revolution !

A good thought ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 11-05-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Opps for got to post my pard'ner's final finds for the day !

?

I am amazed how much stuff that can be found in these old camps and training areas. Keep up the good work
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Inka

You have to recall that these camps were also R & R areas as well after the Australia returned from North Africa and the Middle East ~ and then from campaigns against the Japanese on the Kokoda track and beyond ~ So there were many relics bought back and many dumped ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So a couple of mid week hunts ~

Seems the compatriot Hunters are busier than ever in retirement than when they were working !

Both seem bogged down by family on most weekends~ and weekdays are the easiest and common for us ~ Fortunately I have most Wednesdays off or every three weeks I get an early finish on Friday mornings depending on my roster ~

The first saw three of us ~ producing an array of goodies ~ lots of coins including silvers ~ I scored a heap of fifty cal projectiles and a Ariska (Japanese) slipper clip ~ plus a cool trench art Australia ~ plus an Officer's cap AMF button!

We each scored at least one Australia shoulder badge and Ed scored two Rising Suns!

My total does not include all the trash !

Ironically I scored yet another coat belt buckle ~ that's two in a week ~ plus more M1 carbine and Arisaka shells

My undoing was that I spent some 2 hours hunting and then suddenly realised that my Sensitivity scale was turned down to < 30%> !! ?? WT ~ Start again ~

And another coat buckle !!! That's three so far ~

Anyway ~ a good again ~ other relics included a Arisaka Slipper clip ~ more fifty cals projectiles ~ bullet cases ~ more varied webbing buckles badges, coins and even more AMF buttons ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 11-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.

A second weekday Hunt
    A little different after my colleague dug up a two pounder shell ~ a rare find for sure ~

He was more than a little concerned at first ~ until I had as second look and discovered it was empty of main charge , the primer had been fired and the solid shot projectile had been fitted after ~

Still he insisted I deal with it ~ or take it home ~

A long day which started at Dawn ~

I have dug this "fire pit four times now ~

Some more good finds ~ I dug a few bottles and a very nice jar ~ all with embossed print ~

First Ed's lot at the top and then mine ~

Another a saga that is living proof with the cliché ~ "Never discard till you know for sure what it is !"

I found this spike several months back and though t little of it ~ Ed felt it was associated with a Radio tower ~

Meanwhile my new Dutch MD contact also found a similar item and it was not identified until he went to a Militaria show last week . There a Russian vendor was selling the same item with pouch for 155 Euros !!

So as result his identification has rippled onto mine and I have now forwarded a photo to the AWM for formal ID!
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 12-28-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Well ~ Friday ~ finished work at 06.00 ~ and headed for a Nanno nap ~ and in true A about Z ~ two us rendezvous for an afternoon hunt at " the Cane farm" for an afternoon hunt!

Yep ~ hottest time of day!!

Fortunately there was a brisk NE breeze blowing from the coast ~ but still that FNQ Tropical Sunshine is pretty harsh. First up we had to do a job for the Cane Cocky ! He wanted us to track a phone line from his house across a tree root system which he wants to clean up~

Unfortunately the phone line runs straight through the tree roots. The challenge came when the area was riddled with targets!!

Targets of definite quality and iron~ The catch here is that site had a two story Queenslander on the site ~ and the property and the house/s were commandeered by the military from 1942 - 1946 !

But the Ground is rock hard ! I mean it was so hard Terry could not even get his medium Miners pick into it ~ But still we estimated the cable and we agreed to come back after the first rains ~

I did a quick fan around the area in front of the now long gone homestead~ The boss cocky was more interested in what I was doing than his phone cable ~ and he was impressed when I pulled a Goldie Kangaroo~

So once again we have a standing invitation to come back ANY time ~

So we headed out to the cane fields and BOY ! It was hot ~ especially out of the breeze ~ So we covered up with good hats and full covering, Block out and lots of water ~

The temp at extreme was around 35 plus deg and in FNQ that is harsh !!

Things were pretty sad ~ and finds scarce.

The reason this site is so scant of targets is that the farm has been ripped and ploughed and levelled then graded so many times and ALL the excess top soil has been pushed into the local creek ~ which FLOODS EVERY wet season!!

Terry found a spill of 45 ACPs which were pretty well gone ~ I picked up a 1/2 penny KGV turned out to be a 1938.

Plus a mystery item ~ a small disc , very close to a 1/2 penny but with a small square hole in the centre ~ Plus a few mystery smalls ~

And finally what I believe is a .30 US projectile ~

But once again the ground is ROCK HARD ~ even under the 400 mm the we told the field was ploughed to ~ Lots of targets including iron .. maybe a Bren gun mag~ or even US BAR magazines !! ?? Too hard ! The ground was Just too hard!

So we wait till after the first rains come ~ The ploughed fields are scheduled to be replanted in MAY 15!

Still a great outing as always with fantastic hosts that welcome those invited onto the property~ Reckon at this rate we have a new pundit in the MD World ~ LOL

First the old homestead site and 'the tree' ~

The small disc was resolved yesterday when I was panning through EBay Militaria and I found "it"!

The disc with the small hole is a backing plate for a US Army collar or Beret badge

Wednesday ~ yet another Mid week hunt..

Ed, my Hunt mate prefers the mid week hunts as his weekends are generally always taken up with family and community commitments ~

As he says ~ retirement is Bloody hard Work! and he has the four * four ~ LOL

So I finished work at 00.00 Tuesday and straight to bed around 00.15.

No beers so any sleep, so as the previous night was solid constructive sleep ~ I set the alarm clock for 05.50! \\I woke at 05.00 ! Got up at 05,30!

Still took an hour to get organized and arrive at Ed’s pace at 06.30 !

A quick cuppa and we hit the road !

Then it rained ~ we hunkered down for some 20 minutes rather than start with a wet butt ~ So it was around 07.45 before we got on the new site ~ and rigged up~

The targets started up pretty quick and I had to dig "to Taiwan" for an early King George V Three pence~ Eithe rsoins were so small or the pockets of the day were so weak ~ there always seems a prolific suppy of these puppies ~

After several hours hunting to and fro we hit a hot spot with lots of targets ~ and a new hunt ground I even scored several same relic badges as "Sun Bakers" ~ that is they were laying on the surface !!!

And after a succession of Aust Militiary Forces buttons I found this one and it was in amazing condition after 70 years laying in the dirt ~

We then worked the new site ~ with amazing results ~ and kept at it till aprox midday when we broke of "smokO' ~

We then kept on till 15.00 hours and decided to call it a day ~ but a great day ~

Ed's booty

He scored an unusual "oiler' which I think was is a LE Jungle Carbine oiler as it is much shorter than the usual LE 303 unit!

And my tally ~ a good day for me ~

I wonder if this was a trench art piece or a an Instructor's tool piece !

A rare event~ to find a utensil with engraving ~ plus an unusaul twisted handle ~

And not forgetting the excellent bottle I also dug ~

“ Aunty Mary’s Sauce ‘ This bottle remains the property of the Tillock and Coy Ltd
    Sydney Australia “

Page 40 of 132 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 50 90 ... LastLast