Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 45 of 132 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Decided to "clean up" some of the badges etc of recent as I have more than enough original patina items ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Been very quiet of late as the "Wet " has turned on us big time and the rains have been incessant !

This scene has not been seen since 1967 !! The main highway into town completely cut 1

There IS a bridge under there !

Anyway we did get in one Hunt last week ~ pretty standard ~ form ~

I previously took Ms M with me to the same site for time out and she scolded me for digging in the (little used) track ~ but I was NOT going to ignore a '87' signal on any account !

A superb AMF button ~

Ed's stash for the day ~

Mine ~

The best of mine ~

A sign of what was to come ~

Been a while since ive had a look at your thread,
    Wow youve been busy,Your goin great guns Mate
    Really fantastic finds.
    Cheers Mick

[QUOTE

The best of mine ~

Hi ATP,
    I am intrigued by some of your finds in the above picture.
    On the left there looks like a cut down .303 with a lip and just to the right of centre there looks like a cartridge in a collar.
    Can you show a better picture of those 2 items please.
    Cheers
    Gary

Thanks for the feed back blokes

Gary
    The item on the left is a 303 for ssure and I beleive it is a "Stove Pipe" round ~ which as I believe is oen hat has not seated properly n the breach and flared the end of the case on firing ~

The other one I will look at further and see~ I t may be the remains of a 12 gauge round which we find regularly and I beleive were used in propellant charges for such items as mortar rounds ~

Thanks ATP,
    The one in a collar is smaller than 12g and the .303 looks very neat. I wondered if it was a vent tube or a piece of trench art?
    Cheers
    Gary

Gary

I will seeif I can dig them out ~ My challenge is that I have so many pieces as you can grasp by the pictures that I don't generally keep piecs separate ~ and they go into catorgory trays ~ for cleaning or simply storing ~ Unless of course when like the three pennies which were either punched or shot ~

Such items are treated immediately and filed in the display draws ~

I will have a look and macro them ~

I wanted to do a solo hunt tomorrow ~ the weather is going to be questionable ~ as we have these two cyclones ~ 'Lam' and 'Monica' to the south and the west of us ~ So i guess it is BOUND to give us some sort of weather issues !

Wednesday two of us did a recce hunt in search of camp sites in heavy bush/ rain forest ~ and included GPS mapping and investigation of a WWII tarred road build during the war years to service the camps ~

We found some small relics including shell cases and a razor head which told us the high 'mountain road/ tracks were used for 'forced marches' .

We also found what we believe was a Gun pit at top of a very steep track which had not been used for many many years ~ Possibly training track next the pit at the top of the large hill was a steep access training venue ~

Most of the tracks were extremely rugged and heavy going even walking ~ but would have served a excellent jungle training venues ~

I will post some photos of that as well in the comings days ~

Gary

Retrieved the master photo ~ (These are HUGE files of 5-6-7 megs as I am sure you realise so I generally keep these for a while before deleting as they are so big!)

Here are the two items blown up ~

The first one is in fact a Grease Gun nozzle!! The second looks like a stove pipe shell case despite being so perfectly flared ~

HTH your curiosity ~ Thanks for asking in fact ~

As suggested two of us did a 'research recce' on Wednesday two weeks back .

Our aim was to ;-

1. Establish the extent of a tarred road built by the Aust Army in WWII to service the camps ~ particularity of concern during the wet season.

2. Confirm several campsites particularly & including the 2/2 Anti-tank Regt.

3. Confirm tracks via GPS Garmin and Google Earth

Despite initial concerns regarding cyclone activity in these parts this week ~ it was a perfect day ~ Cool; < 24 deg C> ~ light breeze ~ cloud coverage and moderate to high humidity,

First encounter on site was a large Goanna ~ that came back to haunt us later on~

We headed up the tar road around 08.30 hrs. The entire trek took us around 4 hours!

First objective was to confirm the tar section actually elbowed back to another campsite we have researched extensively and or included a diversion onto others sites. It did not divert but simply elbowed around a deep creek rut ~ heading back the camp site mentioned ~

But as we suspected there was a track attached to the elbow and headed, ascending along a range of hills and into the dense bush ~

The track was extremely rugged and had recently been transversed by at least one 4*4 and was extremely churned over due to recent heavy rains in the entire area.

We soon started to pick up misc pieces including 303 shell cases and detritus, Also a single period razor head. This told us that at very least there had been forced marches or training along the track/s.

We checked several side tracks, These proved impenetrable or as in the case of one which also had not been used for a very long time, showed signs of Gun pit on he peak of the hill. The track associated with this was pit descended down hill at an extremely rate of descent~

The track we followed to the bottom of the hill where it petered with no obvious extension. We can only assume this was a training hill climb with perhaps artillery pieces and transport limber to the gun pit at the peak of the hill ~ there is no other logical reason for this track!

Once we ascended the hill again we continued along the main track for several kilometers until it began to descend again ~ Working with the minimal maps we had we assumed the track descended further NE which was totally in the wrong bearing/s that we were endeavoring to locate,

Looks like a scene from "The Thin Red Line" !

So after several hours which was far from distasteful experience we headed back the base camp for lunch and a quick hunt before heading home again ~

Once I coordinated the GPS readings we were indeed way off the target area ~ But a number of issues were addressed especially the question regarding the tar military road.

Did not even notice our friend perched directly above us over Lunch ~

Plus we identified several potential camp sites which unfortunately are heavily over grown with dense ground surface grasses and these will not be accessible unless a brush fire clears the area ~
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery   Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 03-02-2015 at 04:11 AM.

Last Wednesday we put in another mid week, hunt. A recent find the site has produced a number of good hunts to date ~

I was up at dawn ~ and the Sunrise and subsequent conditions produced some amazing cloud scenarios ~

Evidence of past occupation ~ Most of the relics we found we found outside the regrowth bush ~ the area also was the site of a WWII airfield to the left ~

We were on site around 08.00 hrs and split up maintaining radio contacts ~ We broke for Smoko before resuming around 11.00 hrs. But the weather closed in and we were all but drenched ~

So we stopped proceedings and called it a day around 12.30

I was fortunate to discover a spill of Webbly .445 shells ~ some obviously still intact ~

Ed had another good run on coins ~ his fortunate continued after Smoko ~

THE RECTANGULAR piece is stamped " Security level Category 4"

The half round piece is actually a King George VI penny that has been very neatly folded in half ! More with the bizarre coins !
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 03-03-2015 at 05:02 AM.

Page 45 of 132 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 55 95 ... LastLast