Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 47 of 132 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Great finds mate great thread.

Cheers M-77

Glad to know folks enjoy ~ and as an (official) Military type said to me some time back ~ "There is a WHOLE lot more to come!!"

Well a bizarre day to say the least ~

My 'great lady' Merete was still in hospital ~ and she had to be feeling a bit like the Bali Nine~ that is as long as she stayed in Atherton Hospital we knew her toe would remain intact ~

I fronted up at the hospital around 09,00 and spent an hour with her waiting for the Doctors to make a decision ~ Not happening so I rang Ed and requested if my presence be acceptable ~

I finally arrived on site around 11.15 ~ Terry and Ed had rallied by 08.00 ~~

Perfect day ~ and they had been on site for some three hours and doing quite well~

I rigged up and headed off and promptly walked into the Paper Wasp nest~ one stung me on the bridge of my Nose ~ I thought well that’s going to be bloody great by tonight! ~ but it is fine now ~

But worse still I was focused on digging a target hole with multiple targets ~ I managed one webbing buckle but the rest were ‘inching’ to close toward the wasp nest for my comfort zone !

And I have NO doubt that my Camo gear ‘hid’ my presence of any (further) threat as they ignored me after I had backed off ~ One to Camo gear ~ LOL

I worked on, and soon found an array of 303 shells and misc. trash.. then I hit another ammunition cache! This time there were masses of 303 rounds ~ but in a very sad state ~

By the time we broke for a smoko it proved that Ed and Terry were doing far better than Moiré ~ but then I never expected to score big time straight up with the new CTX ~ although I feel I have done reasonably well in a short time I have a long way to go yet before I master the Minelab ~

Ed scored a really nice (hat) rising Sun with both pins intact amongst his booty ~

No photos today as I was not even expecting to join ranks with Terry and Ed until Merete suggested I should do so ! So I neglected to take the GPS, the Camera and other misc., equipment ~

Terry donated some of the items here in as he feels he only needs two of every item ~ as opposed to me ~ who would save the entire Relic World if I could ~ LOL

Oh~ not forgetting Ed donating several Water drum bungs ~ Thanks mate!

Not sure what calibre the primer safety triangles suit but sure as Hell they were large calibre shells ~ One humble 303 blank cartridge.. But there dozens of 'live' cartridges and cases 303 and even 9 mm ~

Left the camera and the GPS at home ~ no added photos ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 05-14-2015 at 05:06 AM.

Put in another solo Hunt ~ three stage operation.

Drove to site #1 ~ all new site of two ~ but turned out to be a fizzer as the grass was just way too high ~

So after a scant and fail sweep in what low areas there were I packed up and went stage 2

This is the same area I found my first hand grenade ~ found a few small misc , clips and buckles from Aust Slouch hat/s ~ a couple of Lee Enfield sight adjusters.

But I was hunting against the clock and time was running out ~ so I headed to yet another old favourite site ~

Mainly because I have been working with the new Minelab CTX and running over old ground and the results are showing the CTX is galaxies ahead of the Garrett~

On ground I have hunted numerous times I was getting many many misc targets previously missed ~

Impressive result and I am still coming to grips with the new Minelab,

Nice surprise in a WWII site and quite deep ~ a modern 50 cent coin ~

The disc I believe is a separation plate for a artillery shell ~ (??) Being 110 mm in diameter I suggest a large calibre piece ~ 155 mm maybe (??)

Not a huge day or spectacular as the previous week but a great test period for the new MD ~

Doing a little restoration work on the Webbly .380 rounds ~

Brilliant result ~ Electrolysis on very low voltage for 4-5 days and then buff and polish !

(Just shows how well these puppies were so well preserved even after 70 years ~ in a now long gone wooden crate ~ hinges were stil in situ ~ and then the deteriorating cardboard cartons~

Before and after ~ the 'black one' has just been removed from the electrolysis vat.)

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

About time for an update of sorts ~

Done two lots of the .380-200 Webbly revolver bullets ~ STUNNING RESULT thus far ~

More Buckles, Bullets, badges and Buttons ~ and a WHOLE lot more to come ~ ( note the 9mm round which was a solo find in the dirt rather the .380 found the cartons ~ )

The 380's were made in 1943 ~ I have yet to ID the factory ~

Plus several small hunts which were more about familiarisation of the new CTX ~

Total rsto includes ~ Bullets, badges, buckles and buttons...

The three hunt results ~ modest but satisfying ~

Pity about the Spark plug as it is definitely 1930-40s design !

The second hunt revealed an Officer's cap AMF button and a 'crunched' mortar base fuse protector ~ Plus a mystery disc embossed with ' English Make'

The third hunt of last Saturday included a very tidy 1942 1/2 penny KG VI.

The button WILL clean superbly ~ bet my cattle station on it !

As suggested more about getting to grips with the new Minelab CTX ~

FINALLY after some 4-5 weeks of rain and showers with sprinkles of Sunshine at the wrong time ~ we finally got in a serious Hunt on Saturday ~

Early start ~ and it was &^& cold..we drove to the latest Bush site ~

Southerly wind would cut bread ~ but out of the wind it was superb day ~ ( I ditched the woolies and under shirt within 30 minutes ~ )

Anyway ~ the targets started ringing very quickly and we were off and running ~ the open areas are heavy going with a lot of Singapore daisy and tall grass patches ~

( Keeping in mind we do have “the Winter Snake” here and ‘he’ is nasty if stepped on ~ so it was long duds and even gaiters ~ )

So much for our theory of no interlopers in this remote area since WWII and 1945 !?????

*Modern decimal coin~ post 1966!

Aust Military forces button

A solid shot 2 lber ~ surprise find on site ~

We worked through till around 10.30 and broke for smoko ~

Smoko head count ~

Ed’s

My 'mornings' gatherings

The solid practice shell stayed in our ‘dump stump’ on site

No shortage of “live rounds “ in this site ~ including caches ~

We scattered after smoko

There is also no shortage of ‘rubbish holes’

Officer’s mess dump ~ lots of fancy broken china plates ~ The beer glass centre was once a cracker but sadly the top half was broken ~

Working the “VJ grave yard” hole at day’s end !

Massive dump hole ~ We can only assume that this was the final salute and dump of webbing and fixtures post August 1945!

( This seems to be growing in size each time we come back ~ )

Huge day ~ on site ~ < 7.45> Head home 15.30 !

Ed’s tally ~ his morning tally NOT included ~ another humiliation for me ! LOL

Note superb Six pounder shell primer and fuze cap ~ top – right!

Ed even scored several medicinal vial's centre left

I cannot complain I have pulled one Rising Sun badge myself on this site ~

My Total for the day ~ (Either Ed tunes in far better than me or maybe I am still coming to terms with the new Minelab CTX ! ???)

Two officer’s webbing ( config ?) buckles

The calibrated piece is a tyre pressure gauge extension

The large flat piece is a high carbon tensile steel piece and shows little rust so high quality ~ plus a 1943 1/2 penny ~ KGV

A great day with a mate and promise of much much more to come ~ plus even more sites to be investiagted ~

I am hoping to see some Boys anti tank rifle shots out of this site ! Especially in view of the 6 lber primer fuze and the solid shot round ~

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery  

Can anyone help ID the Primer and fuze we found last Saturday ~

?

Hey Stu,got this reply from a bloke on BOCN Sean,

No. 15 Mk II Primer, QF
    Primer for 6 Pr 10 cwt, 6 Pr 7 cwt, 3 & 6 Pr
    Filled by RY - Risley in March 42
    Manufactured by GES (don't have my list to hand at the moment)

TimG

Page 47 of 132 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 57 97 ... LastLast