Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 51 of 132 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

?

You have been keeping busySome great finds you are doing!Love that trench art coin
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Cheers Inka ~

Had a cracker day today ~ (Sunday) worked two sites and blow me down ~ I scored another Gold ring (Modern - 1970s ??) plus a raft of WWII bits an- pieces ~

Could have stuck at it for few more hours~ Great site ~ same site as the (military ) machete~ And heaps more potential ~

Will report soon ~

Well weather has really gone West of late ~ wind gusting and showers ~

This is of course not good as any burnt off areas will burst forth with regrowth and some we want to check over for relics and potentials but there is never enough time ~

So yesterday I decided to to do a Solo hunt ~ Ironically the weather on site turned to perfect before closing in late in the afternoon... so a great afternoon and 4 1/2 hours.

Decided to stop off at local camp ground and water front as there were no campers on site and hte place was deserted. Almost immediately I scored yet another ring ~ But it was SEVERELY encrusted with black mud ~

After an hour ~ I moved camp to the military camp and a smoko ~

All the essential nutritional food groups here ~ ( Unfortunately as always i leave something behind and today it was my mug ! But whiel there is a will there is a alternative ! )

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

The new CTx Mode I have built is working amazingly and while i figure there will always be room for improvement the Mode is SLAYING the targets now and I am stoked with the results. And when I find a lot of "quality trash" signals I simply slip back the Silver mode which has a higher discrimination level ~

I did not collect the many Water and fuel drum bungs ~ and there were plenty ~

But good afternoon ~ plus the second site is MD Utopia with superb digging conditions ~

Note the hole in 25 minutes! Wow factor here ~

The battle damaged piece is a safety triad for a artillery shell. This I found in the bush nearby but I was concerned when i head dogs barking ~ and figured someone may be pig hunting ~ and obviously more concerned the dogs might not be able to discriminate between a pig and a Detectorist ! So i backed out of the bush !

After some cleaning

Been told it is called a "Rip Curl " design.

What does gold stamp 625 mean on jewelry?
    625 is a percentage of pure gold in the item. 62.5% = 15kt. 14kt is more popular and has a stamp of 585, which of course = 58.5%

Weds Mid week hunt Solo again ~

Decided to go for number three Gold ring ~ ( I was asked to find a lost Gold wedding ring and have had two attempts at this quest ~ Ironic that I made a final and fruitless attempt to locate the missign ring ~ right in the middel of th last two recent finds ~ )

I headed to a very popular site ~ a waterfront club scene ~ and worked the water line ~ and blow me down instead of finding modern decimal coins and "jewellery", I confirm the site was WWII site !

I dug buttons, buckles, tent ring, 9mm bullet head and ~ a battle damaged Rising Sun !

So after an hour or so i moved to the first site I worked with my earlier Garret MD and tested my new Minelab CTX ~ and the new software design delivered yet again ~

I dug a 303 spill, AMF buttons , two padlocks and misc WWII relics ~

Repaired the spoon as it was a unit 70 years ago but serves no gain !

But always remember to talk to the locals ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 09-19-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Another week day hunt ~

Perfect day ~ " Spring has sprung ~ "

Right off the bat I hit a favourite ~ Officer's webbing buckle relevant to Seervice revolver I believe ~ ( with the New pinpointer ~ So I was a happy camper right off the bat ~ )

The buckle was quickly followed by a strange and mysterious / confusing signal ~

After this I headed up the nearby hill with a plan to circumnavigate the crest and then go in pursuit of a 'new' site ~

Lots of targets ~ Ironic. my first ever Slipper clip with rounds ~ I liek this piece and plan on 'preservingit as is with 303 round remnants !

Plus relics past ~

Then the Holy grail in the remnants of a re-enforced building long gone!

Spring regrowth ~

The second / new site did not pan out ~

So after smoko we moved camp again ~

a few more finds ~

At days end ~

Mate's finds ~ including a Bald Head KGV 1910 in nice shape ~

Intriguing that I have not seen SO MANY D/|\D water drum bungs ~ I think I dug around <20> ~ as they give such a great signal , are very hard to ignore !

My total. I was stoked to have the Rising Sun and the Officer's Webbing buckle ~ all else was a bonus in my book!!

Intriguing was the .30 calibre US carbine round shell~

The brass water/ fuel drum cap is always a nice find ~

The Rising Sun has both rear pins and is in real nice condition ~ It did have the split pin but typically the pin/s fall apart on clean up !

Some great finds, I found a very nice rising last week at my US Army camp site, as well as a USMC dog tag, so proof there was a mixture of forces there, one of the guys has even found a New Zealand Engineers hat badge there so it was quite the international ground hanging around south Queensland.

Hamish

I hear you loud and clear ~

That latest RS, i am not sure whether to give a burl in the electrolysis or not as it does appear to have a degree of the original finish !

( Be a big disappointment to find it rips any original enamelling off it ~ )

But the beauty of this historical & relic MD is that "you " never know exactly what you might dig up ~

But what concerns me is that I feel that within 2-3 years most of the FNQ will be seriously done and dusted ~ Not to mention as I see or have heard most of the southern sites will also be no more ~ (??)

May sound a tad pessimistic but reality !

sadly not far from truth mate

1943-07-31. NO 1. PLATOON, 2/43RD BATTALION, 24TH AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BRIGADE, MARCHING IN THE CEREMONIAL DRILL COMPETITION.

Another solo Hunt ~ one Hell of drive ~ A right goats track ~ and I don't have a 4*4 !!

But on a good hunt on a god day ~ what better is there?

Got away earliest for a solo hunt for some time ~ on site <09.45>!

Slow start ~ but a good day at days end ~

The large round piece is knurled outer edge suggesting it is an adjusting hand piece (?) ~ Artillery piece (??)

The brass angular piece to the right of the adjusting knob is typical of what I have seen before so a standard produced piece ~ (?)

Inspiration items~ AMF coat button ~ 1942 Ram head shilling ~ 1940 1/2 KG VI 1/2 penny ~ LE 303 drop weight.

Tooth paste tube is 97% intact and I have sprayed it with clear lacquer to preserve ~

Aluminum piece says “To use as Re-load for Holder Top
    Remove this Cap”

]
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 09-26-2015 at 12:27 PM.

KAIRI, QLD. 1943-07-31. 2/28TH BATTALION, 24TH AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BRIGADE, LED BY WX7500 CAPTAIN L. H. LYON, GIVES "EYES RIGHT" TO THE BRIGADE COMMANDER

And off we go again ~

Team hunt ~ we decided to a bush hunt ~ and bust it is ~ but we know this was a camp site ~

Leisurely start again and on site #1 around 08.15. Some "Wally" had been in the nearby area and dug large holes and left no effort to refill ~ IDIOTS!

Almost immediately I scored a battle damaged KGVI 1943 sixpence~ Happy to dig a single silver any time ~ (In fact I have given up trying to clean up coppers as the results are always disappointing ~)

We entered the delegated brush area as a team and soon split up ~

Ed seemed to have the edge again ~ as he dug a RS, an officer's pip 1 & 1/2 AUST badges ~ plus numerous pennies ~

Sure we had to work pretty hard to find the goodies we did get and I left a lot of heavy or irrelevant items such as a pannikin , behind ~ as above!

I cut the recce short when a couple of blokes on an ATV clowning around and were getting too close to the vehicle and camp site which was fully exposed with kit arranged to access by Drongos and predators ~

My mornings take ~

( Just call me sentimental again ~ OR ~ figured I might break the Water bung jinx by taking one home ! )

Forks are in nice shape for a change ~ just lacking silver ~ LOL) Another ink bottle ~

After Smoko we headed to stage two ~

Interestingly on the second stage when I walked through the high ground bush hoping to find evidence of the mythical bunker, which was reportedly used as a dumping store for excess materials in 1945-46 is (?)~

I soon cut back into the forested area we started in but from another direction as I was keen to do another run thru the areas we had been earlier in the morning ~

Instead I came across a large spill of US .30/80 shells ~ and one small ferrous metal 'link ' amongst the shells, more or less confirmed that this was a US Browning light MG firing point ~ The link being part of the belt feed assembly ~

(Thanks to Sean Torch ~ this has been more or less confirmed of my theory ! Thanks mate!)

Hey mate,both the .30cal and .50cal started out with canvas ammunition belts on the ground but moved to disintegrating belt links towards the end of WW2 by the time the Korean conflict came to be the army was solely manufacturing links but there were still stocks of fabric belted munitions that were being used for training etc..its interesting to note though that linked ammo was used in aircraft almost exclusively during the war

I left heaps of the shell cases behind and did not establish whether was the only one or whether there were multiple MG's ~

Ironically I ‘ran into” Ed and after some deliberation, we decided to forgo the area and move to site three/3!

At the 3rd site I bolted around to the second stage of the site which we had briefly visited previously ~ and I found a lot of targets but the clock was ticking and w e only had an hour before we declared an end to proceedings so I virtually rushed the area to the spots I specifically wanted to check ! Left a lot of "lesser quality" targets ~

This spot gave me the second (hat) RS, a large solid brass tap and a canteen dish which I actually dug almost to China for ~

All bullets excluded ~ but in fact the second site I went to actually had some Sun bakers ~ The first site also had many Sun bakers and several of Ed's coins were in fact simply laying on the surface ~

Ed’s collection ~ Excellent again ~ As we agreed ~ VERY rare event for us to come home empty handed ~

Mine cleaned up ~ Note chain link between the 30 cals ~

Both RS have the pins and the smaller one had the split pin ~ Ed went one better and his RS has two split pins ~

The disc has all the resonance of a 1/2 penny but no ID imprint and heavily chamfered edges ~ ??

In short another great team day ~

Page 51 of 132 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 101 ... LastLast