Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 52 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

The sum total of some 5-6 weeks ~

Most cleaned up ~

The best of all ~ the collar badge ( in the cell upper left ) and the second RS (hat badge) in the lower container, neither radically treated apart from a basic scrub ~ , and both from the same hill side !!

Plus one of the .30 cal MG shells also cleaned up ~ plus the latest two Rising Suns upper centre ~ the Hat badge was a mess ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

Then straightened ~

Lower shot shows final progression on latest RS (hat badge), centre shot between shell cases ~

Two hunts over the last week to report ~

First was a Solo job and over the Goat track ~ extended several invitations to folks but no takers ~ even if only by mis-timing and inconvenience ~

Arrived nice early ~ windy as ~ so bad I couldn't heard the MD ~ even tried to set up my wifi but it is mounted too close to the main frame of the CTX so interference eliminated that from the Get-Go ~

Went into the bush areas and worked them ~ just enough to keep the interests up ~ a 303 cartridge spill ~ in bad shape not even worth considering retaining ~

Ironically a few metres away I found a single webbing buckle with webbing !

Also dug another canteen tray or remains there of ~

I wanted to cover a lot more ground including the area where I foudn the 30 cal MG cases ~ but as usual ran out of time and energy ~

The only great find was a nice AMF button ~ and a couple of webbing buckles ~ always welcome in my pouch ~

The rod is a brass punch / drift ~ has a 'bulged centre' to accommodate firm grip!

The fact the buckle has been recovered in The Wet Tropics as is, makes it a little special ~

A CHEVROLET CAB 12 FIELD ARTILLERY TRACTOR AND 25 POUNDER GUN OF THE 2/7TH FIELD REGIMENT MOVING ALONG THE NEWLY BUILT CORDUROY SECTION OF THE ROAD NEAR THE CAMP, on the Atherton Tablelands, QLD .

Mid week hunt ~ Team effort ~

Lazy start ~ Started by checking out a new site ~ Ironically we found evidence of even more encampments ~ but little reward were to be had ~

Although I thought I have FINALLY found a Mythical 'Blue bottle' which as been on my Wish list fro some time ! But it is modern , but I kept it anyway ~ Along side of it was another modern embossed beer bottle which i had not seen!

FOr a moment I thought I had dug a shell case.. as the spot was an obvious (IMO) gun pit based on the direction the gun would have be aimed ~ but it is ferrous metal .. then again for a moment I thought ~ souvenired German gas mask cylinder ~ not to be ~

But some sort of similar portable cylinder as it had strapping on the base ???

Also dug to the water table in nearby creek bed to find the remnants of a 2 lber shell case off cut ~ great signal , obviously why I persisted ~

Midday smoko and we did one more hours sweep of the area ~ and we did not even get to teh specified area we wanted to check ~

Moved camp to one of our favourite sites ~

With ten minutes I found a "August 1945 dump hole" as I like to call them ~ where the Diggers dumped so much gear !

I was stuck in the hole for about an hour sifting through it, retrieving Officers P38 and numerous otrher buckelsa nd buttons plus a nice KG VI 3 pence ~ Fortunately recent rains in the area made for pleasant digging conditions ~

Called ti a day around 15.00 and headed home.. Again too little time !! Camping over is beginning to become very appealing to me ~

Ed's collection ~

My day's efforts ~

Several 303 rounds plus .30 cal case plus 2 * Israeli 1967 7.6 mm blanks (?) Used locally during Military exercises in the Area during the Vietnam War !

I also found a penny several metres away from the dump hole ~ and immediately below it was the spool which is obviously a fishing reel spool ~

I assume being part of an old style wooden hul reel of the 1930-40s ~ Mostlikely bought to the site as there is a local river not far away ~

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-10-2015 at 03:38 AM.

?

Been watching your posts for a while. Great to have access to such productive areas with such interesting finds to keep the interest up.

Quote by kazste View Post
    Been watching your posts for a while. Great to have access to such productive areas with such interesting finds to keep the interest up.
    Cheers Mate

Always nice to get feed back expressions of interest ~

Weather is crap at the moment ~ so not much happening ~ but I really think we are rushing many sites and missing a lot of goodies ~

I am seriously asking if we should be camping over and giving much more dedicated and focused efforts to these sites ~

?

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    Cheers Mate

Always nice to get feed back expressions of interest ~

Weather is crap at the moment ~ so not much happening ~ but I really think we are rushing many sites and missing a lot of goodies ~

I am seriously asking if we should be camping over and giving much more dedicated and focused efforts to these sites ~
    Your lucky to have such opportunity on your doorstep so to speak. Wife and i are relatively new to the metal detecting hobby based out of Mackay and look enviously at your finds.

I guess by leaving a few things behind your leaving some thing for the next generation to find and wonder on the stories of the people that left them behind.

Quote by kazste View Post
    Your lucky to have such opportunity on your doorstep so to speak. Wife and i are relatively new to the metal detecting hobby based out of Mackay and look enviously at your finds.

I guess by leaving a few things behind your leaving something for the next generation to find and wonder on the stories of the people that left them behind.
    MAte ~ I hear you ~ and have pondered this very thought my/ our selves ~

IMO seems that no matter how intense we search a site there is always targets we have missed ~ Sure they are less and the sites are not a bottomless pit for sure..

I hope we are not appearing to be selfish by reaping a relics harvest ~ but as my ( fantastic ) partner says and even the most mature member of our team point out~ That "you ~ Stuart " ~ are a dedicated and enthusiastic history buff ~ and not in this for the dollar value ~ ! "

In these words I find some degree of satisfaction~ In fact I did have a contact in the archive department of the Aust War memorial, that showed enthusiasm for our team efforts ~

( The Dept Supervisor appears to have dropped off the radar ~ But I remain optimistic that we can reconnect this link to our National and official military archival history ~ )

?

Quote by AT P Sweep View Post
    MAte ~ I hear you ~ and have pondered this very thought my/ our selves ~

IMO seems that no matter how intense we search a site there is always targets we have missed ~ Sure they are less and the sites are not a bottomless pit for sure..

I hope we are not appearing to be selfish by reaping a relics harvest ~ but as my ( fantastic ) partner says and even the most mature member of our team point out~ That "you ~ Stuart " ~ are a dedicated and enthusiastic history buff ~ and not in this for the dollar value ~ ! "

In these words I find some degree of satisfaction~ In fact I did have a contact in the archive department of the Aust War memorial, that showed enthusiasm for our team efforts ~

( The Dept Supervisor appears to have dropped off the radar ~ But I remain optimistic that we can reconnect this link to our National and official military archival history ~ )

Stuart.

Apologies if their was any implied reference to harvesting, not intended in any way.
    I believe your posting to this forum demonstrates a passion for the items and their history with respect to those whom left them to be found. Understanding the scope of the area it would be a life time pursuit to cover it all...

Passing through the area this week after a week long holiday in port douglas and cooktown. I have been surprised during this visit and previous visits that beyond the Rocky Creek Memorial site that there is little reference in local museums to the war time years and few in the way of relics so it is indeed good to know that someone is looking to elevate awareness of the military presence in the area in some form.

Maybe one of the historical society groups could give some space and credit to display some of your finds?

Fascinating stuff. My father trained there before going to New Guinea. He speaks fondly of Wondecla !!! The Bald Head George V 1910 penny will actually be Edward VII. Keep up the good work.

Quote by Opladen View Post
    Fascinating stuff. My father trained there before going to New Guinea. He speaks fondly of Wondecla !!! The Bald Head George V 1910 penny will actually be Edward VII. Keep up the good work.
    Cheers Opladen ~ always appreciate a point of clarification~ Those period pennies are excellent and stand the test of time far better than any of the post 1911 Australian coppers ~

Your Dad must be getting long in the tooth ~ Nice to hear that there are some genuine Diggers still powering along ~

My Father in law is 91 and he is regarded as a "National treasure of Denmark' as he was a member of the Danish Resistance and tells some amazing stories ! Even has some excellent photos, mostly post May 1945.

Wondecla was a huge camp area but is now all private farms ~ had no luck accessing any of these ~
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-12-2015 at 12:00 PM.

Page 52 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2 42 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 62 102 ... LastLast