Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 55 of 132 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

AT P Sweep

In the video, I'm not a professional, do not judge strictly. That's how it was. https://youtu.be/BxddqunNy80

?

When the Australian Army fought in WWI and WWII they wore the 'Rising Sun' badges with 'AUSTRALIA' titles (# 2, 10, 20 & 21 in Vladimir's picture). It is strange to see the two Australian battalion badges #1 & 11 as these should not have been worn outside of Australia. The other badges are British or New Zealand (#6) although there are also trade and rank badges (#4, 8, 9 & 17) which were normally cloth for overseas and these could be Aussie, British or New Zealand badges. I think somebody has lost their collection. Strange for these to be found in a bunker. I wonder if they were attached to a souvenir belt?

Oz.

Ubique

Check the post 541. We'll see how I found them.

Wartime GS badges should have the legend 'Australian Commonwealth Military Forces'.

?

Its a good video Vladimir. I detect too (Garrett 250 Ace) but no war sites near Melbourne
    The badges were put in a pocket? With a shoe. You thought a soldier hid the items before battle and did not come back. Yes, maybe that happened. Only the badges can tell that story now. They travelled a long way.
    Can you show a picture of the buttons please? Were any of those buttons sewn to the cloth? The hook was attached to the uniform to hold up the belt (x4).

Oz.

Ubique

Picture taken later. I propose to go to my topic. In order to the owner of the topic did not swear. Traces of war in the Kola Peninsula.

AT P Sweep

Thank you for your feedback. I think I can keep the audience from its theme. Your page is very interesting to me too. My dream is to go on the other side of the world, in the Solomon Islands.

Well~ put in a great days Hunt today ~

Joined by "Dwayne" ~ others were welcome but went wanting ~

On site 09/00 hrs ~ As soon as Dwayne stepped out of the transport he scored a Sun baker drum bung ~ which he was pleased with ~ but then he scored a Sun Baker ~ Queen Victoria 1894 Sixpence ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

We split forces and broke Smoko aroudn 11.00 ~

We resumed operations but we agreed to raly to consider moving camp around 12.30 but the fact was we were being harangued by Yobbos in 4*4's as they started a race circuit which included our area ~

In the meantime I dug a Risng Sun among other relics.. heaps of targets but lacked a lot of quality ~

But I did dig what I am told is an Officer's belt buckle ~ but better stil it was sharing the hole with a Bakelite LE 303 oil tube ~ Intriguing that they were 'holed up in a water hole or depression~ so the hole was very muddy ~

We moved camp ~

Targets were agin on a run ~ I scored another Rising Sun ~ and an intact Worcester sauce bottle ~ with glass stopper and contents intact after SEVENTY years .. and the contents still aromatic as !

We agreed to call it a day around 15.30 ~ weather was great and a good day for sure. But Dwayne fell short as he did not make the Rising Sun I challenged him too ~

Dwayne's collection ~ plus the QV sixpence of course ~

My collection for the day ~

Two Rising Suns ~ Bakelite Oil with maker's marks ~ drop weight LE 303 ~ AMF buttons~ Military Jack Knife .

Boot Maker's work Tool !

Unusual Brass drum bung ~

Suspect Slipper clips (??)

?

Nice finds!! For what gun is the bakelite oiler? Found one like that up here in Nordland,but it was missing the cap..
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-archeology-Legenda-Latvia/224779244335847

http://www.hobbyhistorica.com/

Inka

This oiler was originally a Lee Enfield 303.

HTH

Page 55 of 132 FirstFirst ... 5 45 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 65 105 ... LastLast