Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 62 of 132 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 112 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Excellent 'local' film made at Mareeba ~ and Townsville ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-h_zZXSLL4&sns=em

Unfortunately I am out of the Hunt Loop for a few weeks so there won't be any updates !

Well ~ I am still out of the Hunt Loop and don't expect to be back in action for about another two weeks ~ as soon as I get the Green light.

I have mentioned previously the fact that I have not seen snakes in my hunts ~ but his morning at Sparrow fart and the tree in front of our bedroom was filled with lots of birds crying panic and mayhem ~

Seems we have a new if temporary resident ~ most likely in pursuit of the rats that appear occasionally!

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

FYI

Stuart

Here is a Trailer for the new Sentinel Tank that appeared at the Australian Armour and Artillery Museum at Smithfield.

This is one of five examples in existence, the museum now has two of those five on display.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdBxUHG70G0

The interesting thing about this is that the people that own the online computer game "World Of Tanks" has acquired this tank and donated it to the museum.

Eagerly awaiting the next instalment for the full story, there was nothing on the museums Facebook page about it at all.

Cheers
    Australian-built WWII tank finds new home in far north Queensland museum - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Ironically here is an assessment from World of Tanks gaming site ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRK7MK66X1I

But still a generous gesture if the facts are in order regarding the donation ~

Season's greetings and well being to all ye believers ~

As I am out of action for the time being I am doing a lot of research and have developed some great results which I / we will be checking out as as i am cleared for action !

In the meanwhile ~ I cleaned up some last Hunt relics ~ with great results ~

The best of the day # 253 ~

But better still I noticed that the Rising Sun above has ~( FINALLY A Rising Sun badge) with manufacturer's imprint..

This has been an issue with my finds ~ so I checked the other badges I have most recently found ~ and bingo ~ tow more ~

This will need a little brush to reveal all !

Bonus !!

The second badge is a ( rare) ' General Plastics' badge ~ Winner !

Finally ~ came out at the end of this week ~

Put in two hunts ~ first was a solo recce of some six stop overs to check the areas which may have been potentially unregistered camp sites ~

The issue was that I definitely found evidence of military presence ~ mostly 303, even 45 ACP projectiles and the last site had been targeted by artillery !

Unfortunately no shell primer/ fuzes though ! Lots of frags though~ obviously the artillery range training was was well focused !

No sign of a camp despite numerous very old sawn off tree trunks ~ but lots of projectiles~ obviously used as a target area ~

After some 3-4 hours research I worked my way back to the closest known camp site.

While MIA i bought a recent book released in 2014 ~

"Jungle Warriors: From Tobruk to Kokoda and beyond, how the Australian Army became the world's most deadly jungle fighting force;" Adrian Threlfall

If one considers the Wet forest and bush around, that task would have been a massive training task for sure ! But it did pay off when the Gun crews finally arrived in New Guinea by close supporting the ground troops ~

My research and the book also explained why the Australian Military made extensive use of the Matilda tanks ~

Seems after extensive comparisons with the Grants and the Stuarts, the Matilda despite being made redundant to most other theatres and forces , the Matilda slow speed, excellent armour and firepower was deemed the most practical balance for Jungle Warfare!

So after a smoko I decided to work some of the high ground ~ and armed with a new software combination on the Minelab I was soon picking up numerous targets and with only an hour or so I picked up some nice quality targets ~ Most were well protected on high ground with right soil and a protective leaf cover!

The razor is the first one I have ever found with the zinc coat intact,

The spoon is a holy grail as it has the D/|\D Logo ~

The Australia Flashes are as found!

Give me a month and I will restore the Six pounder solid shot practice projectile to a point most will never know ! ( I have ad great sucess in doing 2 pounder/s !)

Well ~ managed to squeeze in another two hunts before I have to return to work on Monday ~

Second hunt after I recuperated was a team / duo hunt ~

When I rose around 06.00 it was chucking down rain ~ but appeared to recede by 07.00

So I decided to risk the rain and after considering the BOM ( bureau of meteorology radar ) the rain appeared to peter out before our target area ~

So headed and text Dwayne to rendezvous !

Both of us started out slow and the rain was drizzling down ~ despite the optimism to start out ~ Just enough to bring out the wet weather gear ~ By days end we both pretty well saturated ~ but on the flip side.. we were both well pleased with the results!

I ended up in a trash heap wherein I discarded the Minelab and spent over 1 1/2 hours shifting through the soil to retrieve WWII period buckles and misc including a lapel rising Sun !

Even scored aUS army belt buckle but typically in my experience the US brass does not stand up to tiem and soil like the Australian brass!

After Smoko we defied the drizzle to head out again ~

But by 14.00 we both achieved our first coin spills and well dug tally for the day ~

Dwayne's collection ~

My coin spill~ the intriguing part that most of the silvers dug on the were post WWII period ~ ???

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 04-11-2016 at 01:04 AM.

Sun ~ Raining again ~ but by 11.00 I was chafing at the bit and the BOM looked good so I headed out i the rain !

Sure enough as I drove down what I call Malanda heights the skies began to clear.

I decided I would keep it simple and head over to the same first I site I ever worked at Tinaroo dam ~

And the new CTX mods i have made the Minelab did not let me down ~

The bottles came out of a hole which was sending a huge signal ~ intriguing though it was a steel container or what was left of it ~ and very deep ~ as can be seen ~

I spent some 2 1/2 hours before heading home in the face of oncoming showers ~ a pleasant few hours and certainly productive ~

NSW Beer bottle dated 1944 lives again !

As Inka proclaims the sounds and sites of Spring ( in the chilly Northern Hemisphere ~ we are sliding into Winter ~

Grey skies and frequent showers ~

For a region of Tropical Wetlands and daily extreme UV ratings, the chill is quite amazing ~

SO despite the frequent rain showers I managed several hunts the last week ~

The first was a short hunt of only 1 1/2 hours as I was recalled via mobile phone to home base ~ but managed a few smalls ~ considering it was a very public and extremely well worn site ~

The sad remains of a Jack knife ~ buried amongst a bevy of spent 303 cases ~ The pad lock has a very ornate facia plate with nicely 'hammered' backing ~

The second was a solo hunt again and a little more productive ~

Excellent weather and a very peaceful few hours !

AS we glide into Winter the risk of snakes is considerably reduced ~ (although the Tiger snake is not daunted by Winter one bit and has a dubious reputation ~ )

The targets were sparse but still ~

I was pursuing a signal and stumbled into a bottle dump ~ I dug some ten bottles ~ including my first Whiskey Bottle, which is a nice bottle for sure. Be even better inf it was full of course !

I was hoping to find as always the mythical royal blue bottle/ jars but none as yet ~ although I feel the hole is not done and dusted yet ~

Akso first Tasmanian beer bottle ~ all the rest are/ were dated 1943-1944.

An assortment of coins including a fragment of a Commonwealth penny ~

Plus another 1967 Israeli blank AR15 cartridge ~ plus .380 and 9mm rounds.

Unusual Brass screw bung ~ another Torch frag` + misc brass scraps `

A few of the most recent relics which have undergone electrolysis ~ The razor came upa Ripper !

FINALLY ~ After weeks of ongoing rain and showers and wind ~ bite the bullet as it were and headed out Sunday ~ for a Solo hunt.

Still got rained on but had the 'new' bargain price ($15) Auscam Drizabone jacket ~ ( sick to death of crap el-cheapo throwaway plastic ponchos ) ~ but fortunately the rain backed off and I managed to get Sun burnt as I wore the new Bush cap with added Minelab label ~

A great day ~ and few gems for sure ~

First AIF Water bottle

A battle damaged (Hat) Rising Sun~

Plus excellent Duffle bag Lock + Mercedes SL sedan + Heavy Duty Booby trap trigger + Officer's (ornate) razor .

Another ID tag ~ a Captain. 2/9th Armour

[

Muhlhan, Andrew William Veteran Journal

Also scored a Mercedes SL sedan ~ Cool!!

WATSONVILLE, Far North Queensland, QLD. 1944-04-28. A GENERAL GRANT M3 MEDIUM TANK CLEARING THE WAY FOR AN ADVANCE BY TROOPS OF THE 2/6TH INFANTRY BATTALION DURING A JUNGLE TRAINING EXERCISE.

Page 62 of 132 FirstFirst ... 12 52 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 72 112 ... LastLast