Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 66 of 132 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 116 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Those are awesome finds!! Well done.

Thanks Jase for the feed back always appreciated ~

Did a small hunt in the hills yesterday ~ only three hours again as my Partner is on the mend and gets frustrated as her foot mends and she wants to get out there and I figure it is not on to be racking off and leaving her syuck at home ~ So I keep any MD hunts very short ~

But a god few hours ~ First a Leatherman multi-tool 300 series ~ a huge loss form some one ~ thought it was a mobile phone at first ~ which have been good as it would replace the one I lost last month ! But this thing is worth < $200> + in Australia `

Plus

Includes makers mark and /|\ 1942

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

1926 KGV Cleaned up ~

Another bonus after ( a grateful ) input from Sean AKA Torch ~ when spotted the mystery webbing buckles in the collection of last Saturday ~

Thompson SMG M1A1 webbing strap buckles ~ ( If there are two in one spot I figure I should return and check for the ancillary fittings ~

Hey Blokes
    Did a short hunt yesterday at Tinaroo dam as the water is down to 41% ~ ( Talk about MD'ers ~ Phew! ALmost have to make a reservation at this rate ~

But here is my collection for the few hours ~

Another Owen Magazine

An after shave or hair oil bottle 1940s + modern Carlton Embossed beer bottle ~ I like to refill these with home brew !

Several LE drop weights + Boys anti-tank case + an interesting brass water tank cap which Ihave not seen before ~+ razor paraphernalia !

Plus Lapel RISING SUN and Officer pip + 1943 3 d.

Includes a cut down .55 Boys Anti-tank shell case ~ lower centre

Photo does nto capture the SUperb condition of the Rising Sun and the Officer's Pip.

Anyone know what is this? Has a convex magnifying lens~ Lucky to have dug the lens as it was only sitting in the carrier !

Looks like it's a device for reading map detail or other fine documents-no optics involved in a Boys other than the iron sights!

Looks like it's a device for reading map detail or other fine documents
    That could be a good call ~ Thanks mate ~ ( Although it is a tad small for map reading ~ but certainly a lead ~ cheers !)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

On second thought I reckon you have nailed mate ~ map reading lens ~ Cool ~ Nice find IMO !
    Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.

I did a very short hunt the Sat before I headed to Brisbane last Monday ~

Either I have mastered the CTX at last for sure~ or the MD Gods smiled on me as it was one of best Hunts to date ~ well particularly in view of the fact that was only out there for some 3 hours hunt time ~ plus travel time ~

But no BS I actually parked smack bang right on top of a hot spot and eventually had to move the vehicle out of range !!
    LOL

I spent the first two hours 'ploughing' over the one sport of < 1 1/2 sq M.> ~

I then moved on after Smoko ~ I rounded a now familiar embankment onto a creek bed and there was /is a plateau butting onto the creek and the slope.

Amazing coins and relics galore ~

I don't think I have EVER dug 11 coins in one day ~ Only had to dig a shilling and I would have had a Full house ! But no complaints here ~

First shot of cleaned up coins includes several more coppers and an AMF button which I threw into the Napi-San to trial cleaning on brass and copper coins. The final shot is of the silvers cleaned up !

Finds also included a Man's ring, Rising Sun, a number of USA Army webbing buckles, another RSL badge dated 1945, a rare coat shirt hanger and ELEVEN COINS ~ including a nice KGVI 42 Florin ~

I also dug a small tube of ointment with the enamelling intact and the print intact~ but as it was pretty grubby I dropped it into the Napi-San ~ That ripped the label right off it and no idea what it is as the tube is 3/4 full and feels like an ointment and greasy ~ no fragrance after 70 years! Bugger ! And ~ No ! Not shave cream!

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 11-14-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Interesting that the coins are mostly 1942/43 dates.

Interesting that the coins are mostly 1942/43 dates.
    Yes~ I noted that too!

But intriguing that this site was the same one that I found both 'RSL' badges ~ and each not so far from each one, and the membership dates were 1944 & 1945.

But also the campsite was occupied until end of 1945 ~

Put in a late day ~ hunt on tuesday ~

After all i only decided to do the hunt at 11.00 hrs and it was 12.30 by the time I was on site ~ a bit late even for me ~ Perfect weather and agreeable conditions.

I was done by 15.30 ~ yet another short hunt which seems to be my standard of late ~

Totals for the day ~ rough and far from thoroughly cleaned ~

A trench art arished beer bottle ~ the date on the base is 1944 ~ great heavy glass tumbler !

The first of the relics cleaned after up after 24 hours ~

The small clasp at the top is a Australian Slouch hat 'fold' retaining clip ~ actually holds that class Slouch hat flap on the side ~

The AMF button has the black enamelling intact !

Any suggestion on the centre piece next to the 9 mm (Owen gun) round appreciated ~

Or exactly what shell case does the Flash primer tube originate from ? I have not seen on quite like this one before !

The half penny is a Ripper ~ 1911 ~ The first year of the Australian issued currency ~

I almost threw Lockwood padlock facia when I realised it was not a coin and ~ yawn ! ~ another padlock component !

The trench art letter opener I believe is in complete and told that they used to cut down a 303 cartridge shell as the 'handle' !

The 1943 3d came up a trick also again with the new cleaning cocktail ~ as did the 3 " mortar safety cap ~

Page 66 of 132 FirstFirst ... 16 56 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 76 116 ... LastLast