Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 96 of 132 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 ... LastLast

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

BC~

Yes there iis no accounting for the varieties of soil around here,... ~ we literally reside on top of the Australian Great dividing range ~ which is nt so unlike the US Rocky mountains ~ but as Australia is one of ~ if not the oldest Continent on planet earth and this is was once volcani region the varieties of soil is pretty broad.

This particular area has a very shaley rocky hard ground on one side of the road and other the ground is a total contrast with a very soft easily dug ground of say 1 com/ 6 inches before one strikes a very stony underlay ~

No relics have been found below that under lay ~ but I carry a fossickers pick and the spade ~ Plus a hand spade or nose picker as I call it ~

Ready for just about any thing ~

Fossick #428 The Ammunition dump .

I decided to try something a little different and headed into a bush area which may have some alternative relics and goodies after all you never know unless you look~ right
    ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

After all the new Equinox has delivered ever since I bought it ~ But sure enough I walk straight into what I believe was an Site ammo store area for Mortars and 25 Pdr. Artillery in WWII

A 4 * 25 Pdr storage rack base plate ~ ferrous metal way too far gone ~

Retaining rod and brass wing nut for a 25 Pdr. shell rack ~

Site looked pretty innocuous to say the least ~ turned out to be a < 3 sq.M > plot where the mortars and 25 Pdr. were stock piled. ~ distributed~

Every webbing buckle with residue lodged is a frag of ferrous metal from the Mortar storage carry packs

The Mystery piece ~ bottom left ~ I have seen them before ~ even Ms M recalls them ~ they are aluminium ~ dug three today in this one spot ~ No idea ~

It came as quite a surprise as the area shows absolutely no sign of military occupation. But the evidence suggest this was a staging dump for triangle with live fire ~

The 25 Pdr top storage top plate I dug last year ~

Right Place ~ right time ~
    DANBULLA, ATHERTON TABLELAND, QLD. 1945-04-17. 2 INCH MORTAR SUPPORT FOR ATTACKING TROOPS AND FLAME THROWERS DURING FLAME WARFARE EXERCISES CONDUCTED BY HEADQUARTERS 7 DIVISION.

IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE: PRIVATE F.C. DODDS, NO. 2 MAN, 2/31 INFANTRY BATTALION, (1); PRIVATE S.A. CLAYTON, NO. 1 MAN, 2/31 INFANTRY BATTALION, (2); PRIVATE R.B. JEFFEYS, 2/1 HEADQUARTERS GUARD REGIMENT, (3); SERGEANT H.G. BRIDGE, 2/27 INFANTRY BATTALION, (4); PRIVATE M.A. MAKEHAM, 2/31 INFANTRY BATTALION, (5).

1942-10-05. A.I.F. ARTILLERY MEN RECENTLY RETURNED FROM THE MIDDLE EAST, ARE NOW MANNING 25 PDR. BATTERIES AGAINST THE JAPANESE IN NEW GUINEA. REPORTS INDICATE THAT THEIR OPERATIONS HAVE CONTRIBUTED CONSIDERABLY TO THE RECENT SUCCESS OF OUR NEW GUINEA FORCES. THIS PICTURE SHOWS THE GUN CREW MANHANDLING THE GUN INTO POSITION.

( I often wonder how many Diggers suffered from Skin cancer and melanomas ~ after a many many photos show them "working" with no shirt or even rolled up sleeves~ the UV rating in FNQ are constantly severe !?)

Sorry, I don't recognise the alloy unidentified item AT.

Well ~ rain and more rain~ Seems like a tunnel delivering rain to Cyclone Trevor via Cairns and the Tablelands!

A break today and only at 13:00 did we start getting showers but I decided to chance it for a hunt this afternoon~ M asked before I left ~ “Is it me or is it Hot? “

I t was not until I was half way I noticed the ambient temperature on the dash ~ 28 Deg. So humidity was at a high ~

I decided to do the same area as it has been good to me for some 2-3 months ~ Robert and Big Dog came along for a walk and observation~

We covered the SE side of the hill ~ and ended up back at the ammo dump site ~ again ! I worked it briefly before heading further afield~ I picked up a few small including a Mortar frag~ probably 3 “ ~ external top thread !

I always endeavour top preserve native bush and take care not to destroy any such native foliage ~ Lantana you are on warning ! !

Robert headed off around 15:00 and I plugged on but in the end I returned yet again to the dump site ~ but this time I removed the clumps of reed grass ~ and that paid off~

I was knackered by 16:30 and called it day ~ it was then I realized ~ looking at the temp gauge it was 30 Degs! No wonder I was buggered ~

But an intriguing afternoon with a lot more variety than last Sunday ~ A real mixed bag and considering the soil was wet r~ as opposed to the previous weekend and the Nox really picked up on a lot of signals in the same spot ~

Intriguingly I dug yet another of the mystery alloy piece. Three of the 25Pdr. shell rack wing nuts have engraving or casting numbers or symbols ~

My problems really started after I got home as I had neglected to "clock in" and my Mob phone did not register some NINE attempts to contact me ~ a little bizarre to say the least ~

But Ms M tried to ring me 4 times and Mate Robert tried 5 times ~ none of the calls got thru or registered when I did return the car or on the way home.

(BS considering there is a phone tower not 1/2 a klick away ~ )

Seems like timely consideration of a new Telstra "Country Phone" ($560 AUD! Och ! ) ~ (Open to suggestions ~

Well after I posted on FB : Australian War Relic collectors regarding the Mystery I got a prompt reply ~

They are Booby Trap trigger s ~ A Murray switch!

This is supported by Aust War memorial evidence ~

Murray Mk 1 Booby Trap Switch | The Australian War Memorial

The 25 Pdr. rack retaining (wing) Nuts are either embossed or engraved with symbols or numbers ~ Cool ~ I like them as much as the T pieces ~

(Intriguing that everyone of these webbing buckles were used on Mortar carry cases ~ So they Must have fired off a lot of Mortars ~ )

Additionally I mention the T piece Ammo case split piece ~

This bloke went on to refer to the T pin ~ Stuart :

The securing pin from a Box Ammo Wood H13 Mk1A. Originally around since at least 1887, (starting as Box SAA GS MkXI )and still in use up to 2015 when I retired.

The securing mechanism, in early times was a leather strap attached to the split pin. Box H13 came about after WWI when so many new packages were produced that box numbers had to be standardised Box H13 first mentioned in TBofA 1926

Wooden H13 .303 Ammunition Box | Tales from the Supply Depot

Murray Mk 1 Booby Trap Switch | The Australian War Memorial

This explains the large number of short hinges and Screws Robert and I found in the “hole” ~

Additionally the other Booby trap trigger I have found on occasions ~ ( I have another third one which I believe was exclusive to the Commandos !)

Service Igniter, Safety Fuze, Percussion Mark III

Not so sure our small dump was quiet this chaotic ~ Although we have established there were four types of ammunition involved ~

~ 25Pdr. ~ Two Pdr ~ 2" Mortars ~ 3" Mortars ~ ( and I have foudn evidence elsewhere nearby of 6Pdr. )

REDBANK, QLD, 1944-12-04. A 7 DIVISION SOLDIER AT 2 RETURNED STORES DEPOT EXAMINES AMMUNITION CASES AMONG THE RUBBISH.

TSIMBA AREA, BOUGAINVILLE ISLAND. 1945-02-16. TROOPS OF THE 4TH FIELD REGIMENT, UNLOADING AMMUNITION, FILLING SANDBAGS AND DIGGING PITS FOR THEIR 25 POUNDERS SOON AFTER THEIR LANDING AT PUTO BEACH.

Sunday ~

Weather cleaed enough to decide to do a few hours ~ with a plan to recce the Ammo dump site further ~ in the anticipation of locating more dump sites or even camp sites ~

I did a wide range walk and Mate Robert and "Dog" joined me for a hour or so ~

Found a few bits and pieces ~ including a 9 mm spill~ ( Owen SMG ) but I gvae that oe upasthe rounds were in very sad state but for several ~

( I tok heaps of photos but when I returned to base I had a Pooter glitch and a message ~ "Catastrophic event!" ~ all photos but the one above was Lost!!!!!!!!!!!)

We even checked out a very "public access" rubbish dump ~ and recovered a unusual "quick release and re-seal drum top ~ I have found these before but "wrote" them off as sink plug ~ which in hindsight is a little absurd ~ after all how many military camps have a sink !

But this one was found fitted to the outlet of a < 4-5 gallon drum > ~ or the permanents of.

Robert left to go to Town ~ and I kicked on and eventually circumnavigated back the original Ammo dump site and as there was serious rain the previous night ~ I checked out and sure enough I dug even more bits and pieces including yet another Murray Trigger!!

Continuing ~ I dug a first coin for the Equinox ~ a Beut! ~ 1928 Commonwealth KG V ~ Obviously "a drop bear " of 75 years ago ~ as there was nothing at all in the immediate vicinity ~

Finally the Humidity beat and I was totally knackered ~ heading home around 17:00 !

Another ( third ) Murray trigger!
    Left to right ~

Wow ~ even WWII Digger splayed marbles ~

Very battle damaged fork ~

Distorted piece ~ A 20 mm cannon shell which as been tampered with and cut down ~ Most likely a 'Hispano Cannon shell used inn aircraft~

More webbing buckles ~

Nine mm bullets ~

( Above) ~ Another Booby Tarp ( Murray ) trigger.

The Penny ~

A 'auto reseal speed Drum bung ~ ( These I have found before but did not realise that they were 4-10 gallon drum dispensing fitting! )

This fitting was found still inserted into a steel drum ~

REPORTS FROM NEW GUINEA TELL OF THE SPLENDID PART PLAYED BY AUSTRALIAN ARTILLERY UNITS IN RECENT OPERATIONS AGAINST THE JAPANESE.

THIS PICTURES GIVES SOME INDICATION OF THE TREMENDOUS TASK THAT CONFRONTED THE GUNNERS BEFORE THEY COULD GET THEIR GUNS INTO BATTLE POSITIONS IN THE HEART OF THE JUNGLE.

THE TWENTY-FIVE POUNDERS WERE DISMANTLED AND THE PARTS MANHANDLED THROUGH ALMOST TRACKLESS BUSH TO BRING THEM WITHIN RANGE OF THE ENEMY.

AN A.I.F. CAPTAIN IS QUOTED AS HAVING SAID "THESE MEN WERE DETERMINED TO BEAT THE JAPS AT THEIR OWN GAME, AND WERE WORKING LIKE SLAVES TO KEEP THE GUNS OPERATING IN FORWARD AREAS.

Green painted wooden stores box, designed to fit onto the box trail of the Twenty Five Pounder Field Gun. The box has a hinged lid with a lockable swivel latch.

The outside surface of the lid is covered with a sheet of cotton webbing, which forms a water proof webbing fringe around the base of the lid.

The corners of the box are reinforced with screwed-on strips of angled steel. Cotton webbing straps would have originally been fitted to each end, but one has been cut off. Stencilled on the lid in white are the markings 'SUB F 23'. There is also a painted orange square with two grey stripes on the lid.

Clean up ~ #428-430 ~

Not complete or comprehensive ~

As I suspected I have dug previous one of the sealing speed drum bung/s!

Fossick #431 Another Identity tag `

I had a plan to check out an area which I had been eyeing for some time but never got there ~As the dam waters are now at 103% ~ the creeks and washes are now inaccessible to forge ~

Above the high water mark the creek and washes are so deep that one would have to Absail them ~ and being alone, it is simply now worth the risks ~

( I might add these washes as I see are direct result of the site being cleared by the Military 75 years ago ! As we have found many of the camp sites were placed on slopes, possibly to allow water to be easily drained off after all this is the "wet Tropics' ~ but long term erosion has taken a severe toll!)

The site has been pretty hard worked over the years and I some times simply cover these areas as easy access and a few hours to 'get out' there ~

Apart from some intact period ( dated 1944) Beer bottler & misc, small and a Mortar fin ~ looked a tad grim `

I came across some deep target/s ~as best I could assess short of excavating the immediate area I found deteriorated steel chest remains ~ too hard and too badly deteriorated ~

But interestingly this was part of a mound of Dirt ~ and possibly a small dump site.
    My MD partner found a Trove Newspaper article printed in 1945 where in the Prime Minister, John Curtin was questioned in Federal Parliament as the apparent wanton waste of surplus Material by the Military on the Atherton Tablelands ~

It then I hit the jackpot ~ a Digger's Identity Disc ~ Turns out to be yet another Scotsman~ who joined the ranks of the Australian Army in WWII.

( A lucky find, as the tag is not true Stainless steel as most are and has suffered after 75 years in the ground ~ and produced a very feeble and erratic signal ~

I figured I would change sites and do another hour ~ but as time was getting on I decided to simply call it a day and rest on my Laurels ~

I did a quick search on trove and related web sites ~ and thanks to Michael M. who found a link on National archives ~ But in short I have a back log of profiles and $28 a hit soon adds up ~

( I will post up the first and next research a very special other profile which I was given by a fallen Digger !)

KAIRI, QLD. 1945-01-26.

MAJOR GENERAL E J MILFORD, GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING 7 DIVISION, (1), INSPECTING 2/5 FIELD COY TROOPS FOLLOWING HIS ARRIVAL AT HQ ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ENGINEERS 7 DIVISION.

IDENTIFIED PERSONNEL ARE:- MAJOR S B MCKENSEY, OFFICER COMMANDING, (2); LIEUTENANT COLONEL N T JELBART, (3); CORPORAL J W HANLEN, (4); SAPPER J W MUMFORD, (5); CPL R G BAKER, (6); LANCE CORPORAL N O WILLIAMS, (7); LANCE CORPORAL E W BALL (8).

Unusual to see an honour guard where some are packing Owen Guns!-one assumes no mags would be fitted as they would get in the way of any attempt at 'drill at arms'.

Mate ~ I did notice that same thing ~

Page 96 of 132 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 ... LastLast