Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 104 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1313

Australian WWII - Far North Queensland Metal detecting and recovery

Article about: Hi Blokes ~ I am posting this as an going blog for interested parties that have been following my fossicking of (extensive) WWII ~ Far North Qld Australia . This area has been described in r

Cool

but you have to work hard for the treasure!
    Mate ~ You said it right there!! ! Never a truer word spoken ~

Folks ask as to how I have done so well ~

It is all about perservering.. I have an Uncle ~ a very old man now ~ and in his 90s ~ But when I was very young we used love to go fishing and he woudl go by jimself in his boat and basically he would NOT go home till he had caught a Good fish!

I think i took a Life lesson from him even if I did not realise at the time ~ I just persevere ~ and I NEVER write off a Site despite what other "colleagues" may say about a site ~

Persevereance is the Key ~ and i am VERY happy to do a Solo as there is NO pressure ~ Sure I enjoy company ~ but I am also happy to just get out there ~ on my Pat Mah Lone ~

Agree, there is no such thing as a "worked out" or "cleared" location.

Okay Summer is onthe way ~

Higher temperatures ~ and despite the dry ~ the humidity is debilitating sore sure ~

Early start to avoid the heat ~ * 33 Deg high~

Solo and same site ~ I ranged wider into grassed ereas banging trees withm y spade and frequent use of the Pin Point mode to froe warn the Slithery characters that I was about ` so sighted no snakes ~

Not a lot fo success but a couple of pieces before I called it a day ~

Australian  WWII - Far North  Queensland Metal detecting and  recovery

I found the piece I thought just may have been a Mortar tube but despite the optimism ~ the tube is in fact a Tent pole joiner ~ as it has riveted shafts which support the wooden poles.

(can anyone suggest exacty the purpose of the webbing buckle ~ I t can't be a substantial weight bearing buckle as it is not overly robust!?)

The small piece lower centre is in fact part of ~ a Durry/ cigarette holder ~ Some may recall these as fashionable back in the day ~

The rectangular piece is a ;ead plate ~ but no markings ! Just above that a sight adjuster ~ A fork has rough scratching on the handle but nothing of significance!

The offcut 25 Pdr. is in fact stencilled ~ I was amazed that despite the snake oil treatment and serious buffing the logo remained ~ ( I have over written here ~ so that is not the original ~ )

I am assuming this "Mk II" ~ is asscoiated withthe MK II Barrels.

CAIRNS, QLD. 1944-01-05. SHORT 25 PDR GUNS MK I (FOREGROUND) AND MK II, (BACKGROUND) LOADED BY 13 FIELD REGIMENT TROOPS ABOARD AND LANDING CRAFT, MECHANISED DURING AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING EXERCISES. THE VESSEL'S CAPACITY IS 4 GUNS AND 2 JEEPS LOADED IN THIS MANNER.

BUCHAN BEACH, CAIRNS AREA, QLD. 1944-01-05. 13 FIELD REGIMENT TROOPS HAULING A WATERPROOFED SHORT 25 PDR GUN MK I TO AN LANDING CRAFT, MECHANISED DURING CONDUCTED TESTS.

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-19-2019 at 08:12 AM.

We have been deabting ~ sems that the Australian Military never issued Australian Artillery gun crews with shirts !!

So many if not all photos of the Gun crews were shirtless.

On a less humorous note in this region and in the high tropics, UV rays are extreme mostly year round ~ these men surely went on in Life to suffer from Melanoma and skin Cancers.

Additionally the Short barrel 25 Pdrs. were notoriously loud and the crews would have suffered from Hearing damage ~

?

Actually the tropics with their high humidity are not 'so' bad for sunburn, compared to, say, higher altitudes or clear skies in southern regions.
    As for hearing, .... what did you say? Speak up!
    My Dad was a Nasho with Artillery on Bofors. He always had the barrel on his right and now the hearing on his right is very poor.

Sunday ~

MD Partner Dwayne was keen to do a Hunt after many weeks of missing out ~ with his School Tutorial duties and course in Brisbane leaving him out in the cold as it were ~ So least I could do was to set up a weekend hunt ~

Sunday ~ up real early and dead calm but a forecast of < 30 Deg > and increasing winds to 15-16 Knots ~ How wrong they got that ~ But perfect day and clear ~

By 10:30 the wind was up and running ~ As DM decided to head North ~ I went with south ~

I barely made 25 M when I noticed that the ground was more than little different in as much as it is raised ground as opposed the gently inclined ground and a different coloured soil ?

A rubbish dump and burial site ~ I spent over 1 1/2 Hours turning the ground ~ and even removing the grass ~ Finally when I was satisfied I have removed all the best targets including a Rising Sun I moved on ~ and not more than 10 m beyond the first target ~ I found another dump site ~

It was 12:30 when I broke for Smoko ~ and the wind was Howling ~ ( Found later that they actually shut down the Wind Turbines at Tolga due to 60 Kmh Winds!)

After Smoko I headed south again ~ but did not do well~ I headed briefly in land to a burnt area out of the Breeze and it was truly like entering a FURNACE ~ UNBELIEVABLY hot ~

The square piece is one DM found I believe it is a Major Tent pole base ~ I have another one I found some years ago ~ solid Brass ~

A Lot of scrap ~ Top inner centre ~ a Mystery to be ~ hollow and threaded smaller section (?)

Two Rising Suns ~ note different style~

Clean up #2 ~ best thus far ~

Immaculate Razor handle ~

Rising Sun ~ have suffered from the PH. levels of the site soil

Note piece at base of RS’s ~ Robert and I both identified it immediately ~ Does anyone else identify it ~ (??)

The Piece on the left is a sliding shutter from a Padlock ~ BUT it is stamped ~ UNION ~ W/I\D Which tells me it is British War Department !

More evidence regarding the presence of the 52 British Officers embedded with the Aust 9th Div. (?)

OKAY!!

The slotted piece ~ is ~ A choke slide from a 1940s AMAL Motorcycle carby !!

RAVENSHOE, QLD. 1945-01-26.
    GUNNER D K ARNOLD, DISPATCH RIDER FOR THE REGIMENTAL HEADQUARTERS COMMAND POST AND FLIGHT HQ, (1), RECEIVES A MESSAGE FROM SERGEANT A J SMITH, RAAF, 2 MOBILE METEOROLOGICAL FLIGHT, ATTACHED HQ 9 DIVISION,

Last edited by AT P Sweep; 10-22-2019 at 01:16 PM.

If some were not aware this was on Sunday Night ~ Secret railways ~ Ep 6 on SBS Australia ~

FABULOUS WATCH ~ ( you may have to join SBS but try it ~

Story of railways on Atherton Tablelands QLD and WWII camps ~

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1 ... ng-railway

Fossick #170

Return to The Big Paddock ~

The duffle bag Lock is broken ~ Obviously the Digger lost the key and had to break the linkage. His Loss My gain i guess ~

AMF button has part of the split pin in situ ~ becoming the norm now ~ The Spoon Head went off like a Car alarm!!

A Roo Penny ~

I found a great axe head but I put it in front of the car till I returned and left it behind ~ ~ I t was gone when I returned Monday ~

Australian-made Bren Gun Carriers driving to military camps in Brisbane, 1941.

Kairi QLD. 1945-02-13. THE DUKE OF GLOUCESTER, GOVERNOR GENERAL OF AUSTRALIA, (1), ACCOMPANIED BY BRIGADIER G H O'BRIEN, COMMANDER, ROYAL ARTILLERY 7 DIVISION, (2), INSPECTS THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN ARTILLERY AREA AT HQ 7 DIVISION.

Fossick #471

Decided to have another run onthe Big Permission paddock ~

Perfect weather 24 Deg and a light Se breeze ~ fabulous conditions ~

I was hoping to encounter the Old man on the Quad bike with his Ridge backs again after he appeared on Friday ~ he gave me soem excellent information on resources ~ and I had neglected to bring my notepad ~

So I headed off and really worked on the dense grass areas which the cattle had not even worked over.. Of course watching for the Spring Snakes ~

( I run without headphones so I can make as a much noise as possible ~ and run Maximum noise with Zero discrimination so chatter is virtually constant ~!)

I scored a Kangaroo penny within stone's throw of the 4*4 ~ and then headed off ~ and almost immediately picked yet another Axe Head..

I have heard of "runs" on same items but three axe heads in three hunts !?

I am assuming this was foundation slab for a Military Hall Fireplace., near the close by stream/ river.

Either hall and fire place were never completed ~ or the building and fire place were stripped post WWII!

I managed a few smalls and misc. Nothing outstanding ~

After a couple of Hours I circled back around to endeavour to find the Concrete slab th eod man had talked about ~ But because of the grass and weeds despite the grazing cattle I did not find it ~

As i headed bak for a Smoko I walked onto what I reckon was a Colonial period dwelling site as I prompty dug two separate Queen Victoria Pennies in amazing condition ~ considering the oldest w as a "Young Queen" ~ #2 1874, and the second a QV "Bun " penny 1888~

I headed home around 15:30 ~ well pleased despite the conservative numbers ~

Torch bracket

Two fo the axe Heads anda Military Hytest {ick head also recently found ~

Herberton, North QUEENSLAND. 03 March 1945.

24 BATTERY, 2/12 FIELD REGIMENT TROOPS BESIDE THEIR VEHICLES DURING A PARADE AT THE HERBERTON RACECOURSE.

MAJOR GENERAL G.F. WOOTTEN, GENERAL OFFICER COMMANDING 9 DIVISION, INSPECTED THE MEN AND PRESENTED PRIZES.

Dam and ore treatment works, Irvinebank 1900.

(The dam is stil present and a work of engineering ~ but the water is polluted !)

Great reports AT P. Hope to get out later, weather a tad cooler at a bracing 10 degrees! Happy hunting!!